Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
E
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
E
Well I thought it was a neat find anyway....and figured I'd share. ID in Jack's book as a Bowser 172 1913-1955. It's a cool 30g oil dispenser that was in really good shape. It's galvanized and has a peeling layer of grey paint on it. With a little elbow grease and stripper I think this thing will look close to factory fresh. My question is what would have been this unit's main application? Would this have been at a service station or mainly used elsewhere?

bowser.jpg bowser1.jpg bowser3.jpg bowser4.jpg

Mainly focused on Oilzum, Jenney, Harris Oil items & original paint gas pumps.
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
A
A
It should have a brass cylinder on the inside?
Does it?

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Around here , I would say you probably would have found one of those dispensers within a store . Kerosene lamps , kerosene stoves , even kerosene heaters would all benefit from such dispensers . I saw such devices well into the early 1960's just outside of the city here too. Richmond had a lot of Tobacco and Corn Farmers . Folks just never saw a need to modernize . I also used to buy gasoline from a Fry model 117 gas pump too. Oh , that was in 1969! Ed Shaver

see ya on the road folks !
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Mainly used at service stations but I have found at least 2 in use at farms before and was able to buy them reasonable. They were first made in 1913 and produced all the way up until 1955, so there were a lot of them produced. The smaller ones still make attractive display pieces and aren't so costly to obtain. Heres a picture of one that I still have!

Bowser 172 resized.jpg

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
I have one like this that holds 65 gallons according to da dipstick. Cleaned it up this winter and will do some sand blasting on it and paint it up, unless someone wants to buy it. Jacks book says it's worth $450..I started working in gas stations in the 50's and a delivery truck in the late 60's and this is the first one I can remember seeing. Not too common around these parts.

E
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
E
It does indeed have a brass cylinder. Yea it's normally something I'd stay away from as my display room is getting limited but the price was too cheap to pass up. It's got a 30G wooden dipstick.

Mainly focused on Oilzum, Jenney, Harris Oil items & original paint gas pumps.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Paint it up & display w/ it open, place a oil bottle/pitcher under spout & maybe more bottles in open lid.
Last year about this time I sold my 15gal one. Sure would like to have/buy a 5 or 10 one.

A
A
I had a bowser lubester from 1912 and it had about an 8 inch long brass cylinder. Sold it for $150. Can keep them all.
art

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved