Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
cormy Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
I spent a couple days at an Inmann auction in Allentown with an impressive selection of petro signs, pumps and the like. I was very put off buy the on line bidding (ebay) outbidding people on the floor. I don't think a real auction should allow on line or phone bidding. If your not there on the floor - tough luck. I was wondering why I even attended when I could just sit in front of a computer in the comfort of my office. I'm calling for REAL auctions where a guy might be able to pick some stuff up at resonable prices. Of course, if some of MY stuff was for sale I would want all possible sources for bidding. I guess it depends which the side your on.

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Since you were at the auction... what did you think of the amount of repo items that were sold? Did the auctioneer state anything about them being repo?

Scott Wright
cormy Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Yes I did notice that. The auctioneer never metioned anything, but I think it was noted in the catalog. Poor restorations on the pumps as well.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
There was nothing online about the reproduction items. In fact one small sinclair aircraft fantasy sign sold for over 1200 in crappy shape.

I understand the frustration of being outbid by the guy who is at home bidding on his computer. Bidding onsite and bidding online are both very popular. The guy bidding online is taking a huge risk on condition and authenticity. I buy most of my items online and sometimes I get a great items but occasionaly get something that I wish I could send back. Nothing beats being there in person but some guys just cannot make it to all the show or auctions...

Scott Wright
S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
Chris...when I am on the buying side of an auction, of course it would be nice if the pool of bidders was as small as possible, that's a natural feeling. We all want to buy something as reasonable as possible. But, like you intelligently stated, if it were your stuff......

At my sale in February, we had 2" of pure ice the night before and it kept the crowd down to about 280 from a usual 400. On the flip-side, we had 204 online bidders that bought over 30% of the lots. Needless to say, as the promotor and the owner of 80 lots, I was relieved to know that the online bidders were there.

Remember also that online bidders pay 5-10% more in buyer's premiums and also they have to pay crating/shipping/insurance on everything they buy....whether or not that exceeds your cost of travel to the sale, I don't know. Hope that sheds some light.

Seth Robbins/Vic's Place, LLC

cormy Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
True, it does save the cost of shipping and you get a good look at stuff. But it sure takes the fun out of "being on the floor".

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Chris. I appreciate your frustration. Living in Montana (million miles from every where) I can't afford to travel to the good auctions, not to mention the time. I am grateful for the opportunity of on-line. Have only done a couple. But even with the buyer's premium and shipping it is still reasonable. I am no deep pockets guy that can pay whatever I want, but this has really been a good thing for me. I like a bargin too, but if I was selling....I would want a million people to be able to see my stuff. Also, I have noticed that even at farm auctions where you could get a pump for peanuts are now selling for more than they are worth (Except to the guy who bought it) Hang in there

Alex
Looking for Texaco and Power Gasoline items
H
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
H
Repo items are a big problem at auctions these days. Two years ago Seth Robbins, a very honest individual I might say, stated, to his dismay at the start of the auction, that there were NO reprduction items in the auction. Well..guess who did buy three items that were probably the only repo items. When I contacted Seth, a couple of weeks later, he gladly (I think) gave me my money back. To his credit, this was also his first auction without Vic. Way to go Seth. Ever since that time Seth has gone out of his way to keep the repo **** out of his sales.

S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
Thanks for the comments Ray....that year (2003) I had one consignor that slid some really good fakes (about 5) in with about 35 other really nice original items. These were reproductions that until then, most people didn't know existed. Of course I gladly returned Ray's money. One thing that can ruin and auction right quick is losing the confidence of your buyers. To keep the lovefest going, Ray has attended 8 of our 9 auctions (#10 next Feb) and has always been an extremely active & knowledeable bidder. Heck, last year, we even got to sell some of his stuff.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Chris, the phone bidder has been a "bug-a-boo" for those of us who bid on vintage cars for years.(Not that I have bid on many vintage '64 Shelby Cobras). I have sold 4 of our older race cars at auction and each time a phone buyer had the "lead" I cringed inside. I want to see who is going to get one of my "babies", to see if they are going to respect it or make it sit in a barn gathering dust. Now there is online bidding and since I have retired(again) the prospect of a live auction isn't there for me. I don't care for the crowds or to stand or sit next to someone who "reaks" of smoke, no offence meant to those who smoke. To be able to sit back and be anonymous when it comes to a bidding situation does at times have advantages. But I've sold the cars and now play on ebay. With the way technology is going, in a few years don't be surprised if at a large auction most of the bidders are absent and bidding online. The world is getting ready to jump to warp speed and all we can try to do is hold on for the ride.
Bob

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I for one am glad they allow phone bids on these auctions as most petroleum auctions are almost always in midwest or east coast and would cost a fortune to attend all these, if they can't ever have auctions on west coast than this is fair.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Here is a good reason to attend an auction in person. This sign was advertised as an original. It looked good in the picture and I had the high bid on it at $140, plus bidders preminm and shipping. I thought I got a good deal as I have seem them at shows for $600 plus. I did have a suspicion that it may be a cut out from a pump plate but wasn't sure. When I got it, I noticed it appeared thinner than it should be, there were no grommets in the holes, there was white touch up paint all around the edge and some paint on the face. Also, comparing it to a known original, there was white outside of the green border, the original was green all the way to the edge. Plus the porcelain on the back side was chipped all the way around the sign. I am convinced this sign was cut out from a Sinclair gas pump plate.
I will give the auction company credit; they said to return it for a refund. By being there in person, I would not have bid as much on it as I could have determined then it was a cut out. Not all auction companies would have returned my money.

US Air Force Retired, 1981-2007
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Wes, I for one am happy that the auction company is honest enough to give you your money back. I have found lately that "original" has different connotations to different people. Not long ago I and a lady friend stopped by a second hand/antique store, they had a repro sign hanging on the wall selling for $125.00. I had to find out how a $30.00 sign could be worth so much, the answer I got from the seller was that it was an original. Purchased new in the early '80s by him, the owner of the store. When I pointed out to him that the sign was a reproduction of a 1930's sign, the seller said doesn't matter for it was an original sign to him. I shook my head and left. My friend and I laughed for the next 20 miles or so. Then it dawned on me that someone new to "our sport" may not know about repro signs and fall for that line it is original to the seller. Perception is always in the eye of the beholder, but not always the truth. So a thank you to Jim and all the others who have kept me informed and at times entertained on this site.
Bob

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved