Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
48flyer Offline OP
OP Offline
Hi Guys,
I am a new member from Minnesota. I have always loved the Texaco stuff and have a few visible pumps.
I recently aquired a 6 foot sign with the banjo post.
My question is, Has anyone here mounted one of these things?
I am curious as to the quantity of concrete I need below ground to withstand the wind loading of such a large piece.
I have figured if the sign weighs 500lbs then I would need 1500 lbs of cement to counterbalance it roughly 6 feet deep.
How does that sound?
Thanks for the help.

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
N
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
N
That will work perfect. But build a rebar frame with your mounting bolts attached to it before you pour the concrete.

G
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
G
I have installed a few of these. I always over engineer the concrete base. Too late after a strong wind takes it out at a later date. I form the hole at 36"x36"x 40" deep. An old wheel at the very base with steel rebar cage welded all around. Be sure to weld the 1" mounting bolts onto the cage. Two yards of 3500 psi concrete puts 4000 pounds of counter balance at the base. As I said, I err towards the safety factor in my installations. Regards, Paul www.severngaspumps.com

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Welcome to oldgas.

I sent you a PM.

J
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
J
Two 55 gallon drums make a great form. Cut the top out of the lower one. Cut both ends out of the top one. Tack weld them together. Hand dig the hole for the bottom barrel. Do not backhoe dig and then backfill. A weak footing condition will result. When you do backfill around the top barrel, tamp it and wet the soil to get a good packed backfill. 1" threaded rod x 36 or 48" long for mounting into the concrete. Heat and bend L shape on the end at least 4" long to resist pull out. It you get a wind (tornado) strong enough to pull that out it will be one heck of a lollypop wrecking ball where it lands.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Hi-Nice sign! That hole should be at least 6 feet deep. Can be 24" round, but better 30". Anchor bolts can be set after you get the form filled . Best to rent an auger on a skid steer or mini excavator.I would pour solid to the earth. not dug ,formed then backfilled.Use a "sonotube" form at least a foot below grad and as high as you want the top of footing to be above grade.Problem is that supply house might only sell 12" lengths. You can build a plywood form too. Or maybe a upside down plastic garbage can with the bottom cut out. That way you can cut it to get it off later. Pour the concrete pretty tight-like a 3or 4inch slump. Fill the hole to the point that you can stick the sonotube into it a couple of inches.Then shovel the concrete into the tube the rest of the way . This way you can plumb it up much easier than if you have a really long tube. It wont work to good if you dont order your concrete stiff. You should have a rebar "cage" tied in advance. Use at least #4 rebar-(1/2") You can get round rings prebent at a good mason contractors supply store. They should be tied to vertical rebar. For a 24 or 30 " hole I'd use at least four vertical bars (6 is better)and would tie the rings about 18 inches apart- tie the vertical bars inside the rings, not on the outside- Make a plywood template that matches the mounting flange on the bottom of your pole. Drill the holes and mount the anchor bolts to it with a nut on each side-be sure to leave enough projection -you can always cut some off later. Allthread from fastenall will work good. Make sure they are plenty long enough -at least two foot or more should be in the concrete. Put a nut on the bottom of each one to keep them from pulling out of the concrete. Be sure the top rebar ring is within a couple of inches from the top of the concrete. This way the bolts will be surrounded by the steel. Good luck. Let us see some progress pictures.

Last edited by JimT; Wed Apr 11 2012 06:44 PM.
C
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
C
HOLLY ***** seams like allot more work than i did i just dug a hole about 12 inches around with my post hole diggers and about 40 inches deep and put a piece of 5 inch pipe with a 1/2 plate welded to it. about 6 bags of readymix got it good and level let it set for a day or so picked pole up with winch truck set pole on base got it level and welded the ***** out of it. Its still standing strong and level 7 years later and been through 70 miles an hour wind. Oh i forgot to mention i did three of them this way.

Last edited by cosdencop; Fri Apr 13 2012 06:37 PM. Reason: more info
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
sounds stable.. cool

RANDY
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
JMO, but you don't have to over engineer. The two 55 gal drums works great. One inch bolts x eighteen inches long worked fine for mine. I just made a plywood pattern for the spacing. We have had 80+ MPH wind gusts here in the country. No problem in the past seven years.

Email :john@barnquiltshop.com

"The Fun Is In The Hunt"
Web site: www.barquiltshop.com/
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
that's one cool picture.. cool

RANDY
N
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
N
What is that thing on the roof?

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
that's a heavy duty antenna- must have a CB or doesn't want to pay for cable- cool lol..

RANDY
N
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
N
Lol!!!! What's a cb? I need free cable! Does it pick up the history channel for free? I don't even know if my city would allow that without a permit! You sure it's not for storm tracking?

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: notchcad
What is that thing on the roof?

Like I said we live in the country. Just a long range TV antenna. We have Direct TV, no cable out here. That antenna is for Green Bay TV channels, about 70 miles away, when a storm comes through and the satellite goes out. I doubt that we will EVER see fiber optic out here. Only three houses on our road and it is a dead end. So when the dog barks it is normally someone we know or expecting. grin
We also have a generator and two water wells. Don't have to rely on city services for anything. wink

Email :john@barnquiltshop.com

"The Fun Is In The Hunt"
Web site: www.barquiltshop.com/
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Funny- I have been known to over do things.I usually go by the adage that you dont find out if you over built some thing like that but you damn sure do find out if you underbuilt it. I'm just going on the way I've been involved in doing or seen electricians do probably a few hundred sign and light pole bases over the last 35 years. It does depend on the soil...if its sandy you definitely have to go deep and wide. I'm quite sure the steel drum process would be adequate,as would the 36x36x40"deep block Paul suggested- not so sure about the twelve inch diameter one though,it might work... Look at it this way, my way will keep you out of trouble all summer long. lol

Last edited by JimT; Sat Apr 14 2012 03:50 AM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved