Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
What I have done in the past is go down to the Municipal works yard and speak with the foreman and obtain a used/discarded preformed cement base/anchor for a street light. For a donation of a flat of beer, I driveway with one. They have a conduit in it for electrical wiring and weigh around 3500 lbs. Dig a hole with a backhoe and place crushed gravel in and set the cement base in place. It already has bolts cemented into it originally used for mounting the street light. Back fill the hole and you are done. Because of it tapered design it uses the ground to better secure it in place....it's an engineered piece. No mess and no fuss!

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
C
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
C
Soil does matter you are right there. Where i live you have about 6 inches of dirt and the rest is caliche. It take about three or 4 hours just to dig down 3 to 4 foot but that sucker is there forever or so i hope .

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Actually there is a software program that sign companies use. Tell them the height of the overall sign, give them the size of the sign and they can put it into a computer and give you the wind load, and the size of the foundation needed to give you an adequate mounting. My son worked for a sign company and he built the signs and sometimes installed them.
I would agree the BIGGER the BETTER! Whatever give you piece of mind.
Go for it.!!

Email :john@barnquiltshop.com

"The Fun Is In The Hunt"
Web site: www.barquiltshop.com/
48flyer Offline OP
OP Offline
Old Racer, that is a beautiful building,I'd be proud of that one.
A friend of mine said it best regarding the sign install.."You'll never know if you used to much concrete to anchor that sign, But You'll damn sure find out if you didn't use enough!!"
I think he's right
thanks for all of the replies so far. I am excited to get it installed.
Thinking about powder coating the sign post so I never have to worry about repaiinting. Anyone done this?

48 Flyer,
I have the same pic I took several years ago somewhere here on this site. The station is located off of hwy 36 in Waller, Texas.
I tried finding who owned the old gas station and had no luck. As a matter of fact, when I saw it last the base had been hit by a car as the sign and punps are a few feet from the road side. And that sign is a lot taller than 6 foot!!!!!!

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
If any one is interested - PM me your email address and I will forward on a couple of scans of the Texaco sign installation instructions I received from another member on this site - it has some good info from 1936 on how to install the signs

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved