Next Thread
Print Thread
#319439 Mon Apr 16 2012 07:27 PM
W
WayneC Offline OP
OP Offline
W
Hello,
I recently began the restoration of an old gas pump that my dad bought at an auction. It seems to have a lot of the original parts inside and out. I have a few questions though. First is how to accuratly determine the year the pump was built? It has most of the signage still intact and my family and I have tried to do some research online and in gas pump magazines but we aren't finding much information for the Varley Sentry models.

The second question I have is how to find the color of the pump when it was originally used. There was some red, blue and white, but we are unsure what is original paint and what may have been added later. When we do find the original colors we want to paint it is there a better way to go about doing so? Is powder coating better then traditional painting or does it really matter?

I don't plan to sell this piece as it holds more sentimental value to me but I want to restore it to as close to original condition as possible as that was my dad's intentions when he purchesed it.

I have many pictures but am not sure how to post them here. I have taken a lot of pictures at each stage of the process and of each marking I find inside or out.

Thank you for your feedback

Last edited by WayneC; Mon Apr 16 2012 07:41 PM.
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
There should be a ID plate on the pump. It will tell you what company made the pump, the cut number or model number, serial number, and some times the month and year made. With this information you might be able to find the date manufactured using the blue book information. Some people on this sight have a copy of the blue book. Most pumps were painted red from the factory unless a particular company wanted a different color. I personally would not powercoat a pump, but it's yours and you can do whatever you want. Most stations repainted the pumps with brush. Hope this helps good luck on the resto. Richard

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
If you are storing the pictures on your computer and can downsize them to 150 kb then they are easy to post. Just switch to full reply screen (below the box you put your next message in) hit browse till you find your file on your computer, then add file. When you are finished adding your pictures click on done adding files. I think the default is three pic's per post, though I think you can change that, or just do a second and/or third post. You must put some number or character (like an *) in the text part of the main post if you aren't describing them, for the pictures to show up. Click submit and you've got it.

There are also tutorals for posting from your camera or through a photo place (like photo bucket) on these forums. Best of luck!

Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I like powder coating. It's a much superior and less toxic product then paint. As well as a lot cheaper. Only draw back is that your panels have to be perfectly straight as you won't be able to do any body work as the fillers won't withstand the heat when the power coat is baked.

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
your pump is most likely from 1933-36'. its from the 30s. so take your pick of the company from that era you like. does it look like this pump? -

http://www.gaspumps.info/gallery/v/pumps/Clockfaces/bowser318_varleysentry.jpg.html

this book will help you - http://petrolianacollectibles.com/

Last edited by Serialist; Tue Apr 17 2012 02:10 AM.
W
WayneC Offline OP
OP Offline
W
yes it does look like the one in the picture Serialist. Willl try and post pics as soon as I can figure out how.

B
B
there is a filler on the market that can be powder coated over. ask a good powder coating shop,

T
T
The filler is called All Metal.
James

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Have you had items powder coated using All Metal filler? It didn't bleed through or was noticeable in any other way?

Dave GILL,
T
T
Yes.
I have used it on a pump and we use it here at work to fill threaded stud heads so that they are not seen after paint.
Use as little as possible and let it air cure per the instructions, then run the part thru a 375 degree baking cycle to be sure that it's not going to out gas prior to powder coating.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Thanks for the info.

Dave GILL,

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved