Next Thread
Print Thread
#321470 Tue Apr 24 2012 10:52 PM
S
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
S
How do you guys frame your banners? I mostly want to know what you use for the backing and keeping the banner straight. the banner is a 5ft long and 3ft wide.

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Serialist #321487 Wed Apr 25 2012 05:15 AM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Is the banner a cloth type?

LKYSPADE #321510 Wed Apr 25 2012 06:50 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I suppose it is possible to frame a banner....never thought of doing it though. The largest item I've ever framed were several 27 x 56" coca-cola cardboard posters.

A banner would have to be ironed flat so the folds are not there. Use another piece of cloth over the banner which should be face down on another piece of cloth and don't use a very hot damaging heat on the iron nor leave it in one place for a long time....like the 3 stooges do LOL!

You could also lesson the fold marks by placing books or stacks of magazines on top of the banner laying flat on the floor.

Using glass in your frame will make it quite heavy. I suggest a safe plexiglas rated for artwork....which is sometimes pricey. Use a piece of foamcore as backing the same size as the banner.

For 15 years when I was doing picture framing on the side, I used a place called Frame Fit. I called or faxed my orders in.

http://www.framefit.com/

DOC @ THE AMERICAN GARAGE
L
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
L
I like the foam board idea. Here is another 1in. by 2in. box frame on back with support down middle. Then Lowes has a L shape trim that will attach to edge and create a frame for front- cut on 45s it makes nice frame. The L shape is pricey as I have only found it in oak. I have never done a banner but lots of tin signs. PURIST ORGINAL GUYS,excuse me but its just the keepers,and I don't care what they are worth when I'm gone.

*Wanted Pierce Pennant Petroleum*
Loyd Pierce #321521 Wed Apr 25 2012 08:23 AM
C
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
C
I have framed many of them. I have them "mounted" on another piece of modern canvas and then put on the backing board and then framed. that way it's kind of "self framed" inside the new canvas. I have them iron out the banner, and then they sew the banner along the original sew lines onto the new canvas. makes it stronger and easier to mount. also, if you do it this way, you don't need to put plexi or glass on it at all. looks killer. you can use glass, but don't need to. I'll post a pic later tonight. chuck

chuck harders #321524 Wed Apr 25 2012 09:30 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I should've mentioned that I use "NON-GLARE" Plexi-glass....the lightweight stuff made by GE.

DOC @ THE AMERICAN GARAGE
I
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I
Foam core is perfect for this....just make sure you buy ACID FREE. It's a little more expensive, but won't yellow, and more importantly won'd destroy your banner over time.

Collector of Illinois Oil Company, Iowa Oil Company, Round Outboard Motor Oil Quarts, St. Louis Gas Pumps, Double Cola, and anything else awesome.
iowaoil #321541 Wed Apr 25 2012 10:59 AM
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
On large items like a good sized banner - use a product called Gatorboard. It is rigid - not flexible like Foamboard.

Foamboard will warp in higher humidity, and you don't want that. Especially if you are NOT using a piece of clear plastic to 'seal' the framed piece.

You can get Gatorboard in black, white or tan. If you use black, you can 'float mount' the banner centered in the available space and then frame the assembly. That way, you don't need a 'matt'.

And another thing to tell the frame shop - make sure to add a couple of lengths of hanger wire from the top to the bottom and one centered from left to right on the back. This will keep the large frame from spreading/sagging over time.

Later . . .

Jim

T-way #321586 Wed Apr 25 2012 03:40 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
A good frame shop should be able to do this for you properly. A good place to get a recommendation for an experienced framer of such textiles, is from a museum or historical society that uses these types of services for old fabric.

Good luck!

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved