Print Thread
#321836 Thu Apr 26 2012 03:49 PM
S
skinfxr Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
S
I recently bought a IR46 Mobilgas and IR47 Mobilgas special pump plate for $475 for the pair. They are both 9+. I thought I paid high retail for them. I've been watching them on ebay recently and some of them are selling for good money (i.e. $601 for a mobilgas recently and $587 for a mobilgas special). My question is are some of the dates these were made more rare and therefore more valuable (IR46 vs.IR47) or is it just condition? I know the plates with diesel and marine are worth more but it seems these pump plates are selling really high. Any thoughts?

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
skinfxr #321851 Thu Apr 26 2012 04:36 PM
TBA Feature Host
TBA Feature Host
Sometimes with ebay dont believe what you see.

The most valuable commodity I know of is information-Wall Street
57tbirdkid #321894 Thu Apr 26 2012 07:25 PM
D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
In my opinion, the 46, 47, and 49's are the most common dates among the Mobilgas and Mobilgas Special pump plates. I don't think people really look at the dates, I think condition is the biggest factor here. My observation has been that thin white border plates with late 50's dates are the more difficult to find, but previously that hasn't meant a huge price difference with them. (I'm just talking about the common Mobilgas and Special plates) These were made at the tail end of the production of the 5 point shields and as such are probably a bit more scarce.
When I started collecting Mobil 5+ years ago I paid $85 and $125 respectively for nice example Mobilgas and Special plates. I agree the prices paid for the plates in the auctions you mentioned are extremely high and unrealistic, but I think the median prices for Mobil plates have certainly gone up in the last couple years. The low $200s figure seems pretty standard anymore for a nice example of either version, and near the $300 mark is pretty common anymore as well for really nice examples. I'm glad I bought mine when I did!
Darin

Darin Sheffer
Always looking for Mobil and Marathon items I don't already have!
DWSheffer #321896 Thu Apr 26 2012 07:32 PM
M
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
M
I was bidding on the one that just sold for 601 which to me was way to high I got out at 350 I was thinking the same as you maybe these were special or sumthing but they was in excellent shape but too much for me

P
P
I agree with Darin's comments............

Richard

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved