Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
J
OP Offline
J
can anybody help. have a model 600 series tokheim pump trying to tear down and rebuild. can not get the glass globe to to come out of the bottom seal seat or metal base. top plate came off fine, but bottom acts like it has some kind of white sealer/powder like old dap caulking. advise what might disolve it. its like cement now. dont want to break the cylinder, thanks

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Lye/caustic soda (sodium hydroxide) near its boiling point will dissolve the litharge BUT you will probably end up breaking the glass due to the high temperature! In other words, "Good Luck..." Many times you can clean out the glass by backflushing the area with oven cleaner. Keep in mind that it may/will attack softer metals such as aluminum etc. which may be found in spinners etc. Ron

Ron Scobie
http://www.gaspump.com or
rscobie(TheAtSymbol)gaspump.com
Phone - Six five one-653-6503
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I have removed a dozen or so cylinders, and have always invested the time in scraping out the caulking. It's hard tedious work, but it sure beats breaking the glass. Patience,and about an hour with a skinny flathead srewdriver, or a sharp knife will net a successfull removal.Good Luck.........

J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
When removing a cylinder, I always remember what someone told me years ago, keep picking out the caulk a little bit at a time, NEVER check to see if the cylinder is loose, wait till the cylinder tells you it is loose.

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved