Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
N
OP Offline
N
THIS IS A ONE OF A KIND RARE MARATHON SIGN. THERE IS 9 DAYS LEFT OF BIDDING. THE ITEM NUMBER IS 230785813835 I HAVE ATTACHED A PIC BUT THERE ARE MORE PICS ON EBAY. TAKE A LOOK YOU DONT WANT TO MISS THIS ONE.

Copy and paste this number OR title into the ebay searchbox at the bottom of this page

RARE 1920s MARATHON GASOLINE & OIL TIN SIGN, METAL SIGN, TRANSCONTINENTAL OIL

DSCF1254 (135x250).jpg
Last edited by Oldgas; Sat May 05 2012 05:46 AM. Reason: edit to encourage bidders to use ebay searchbox to help Oldgas.com
N
OP Offline
N
I have this Rare One of a Kind 1922 Marathon Gas & Oil Sign. 36" x 70". This is an Amazing Sign and Next to impossible to find. PM for more info.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
PM sent!

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
This was forseen in the oldgas crystal ball.

see me at Mason Dixon Gas, Spring Carlisle M114-115, and Hershey C4E-35.
N
OP Offline
N
Wow the sign is off and running. Passing on a little info. Ive come across another great old sign. Its a large 2 sided porcealien service station sign on wheels that used to get rolled out in the mornings. More informtion to come. The Marathon sign is an awesome sign and wish I could have seen it in its prime.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Good luck. "believed to be the only one of its kind." that's a broad statement without any real basis.

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
N
OP Offline
N
LOL well lets see someone produce another one!!!

N
OP Offline
N
The real basis comes from the countless hours of research and phone calls taken about this sign and several collectors who have well over a combined 50 years of collecting. I kinda wish there was another one we could find so that we had something to compare it to. I might be a ditsy blond but defiantly not stupid.

Just because you researched this on the internet and could not come up with another does not mean that there is not another one like it. I highly doubt that Marathon only made that ONE sign for the HUNDREDS of stations that they had in that era. For all anybody knows, there is a collector somewhere that has a pile of them.

To state that something is one of a kind is a bold statement, period. Saying that it is the only one you could find in a two week period of searching the internet is probably a more accurate description.

FREEDOM oil items wanted.

S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
definitely

N
OP Offline
N
Well guess I cant really argue with tht but like I said already find another one like it. From the information I recieved from a source within what is now Marathon Petroleum most of these signs were destroyed and recycled for other uses. There very well could be a collector out there with a secret room way underground that has stockpiled all the old Marathon Signs from this time period and he is just waiting to jump out and say SURPRISE but thats highly doubtful.

Originally Posted By: noreservegirl
Well guess I cant really argue with tht

Then why are you?

I would venture to say that there are far more collectors that are NOT on the internet than there are that ARE on the internet. I cant tell you how many collectors I have met at various shows that do not go on the internet at all. Many of them have HUGE collections.

How do you know that one of these collectors does not have that sign?

FREEDOM oil items wanted.

N
OP Offline
N
Its real simple. I have being doing research for the past 15 years and make very good living by doing it. Trust me I wouldn't be saying what Im saying if there was such a big doubt but there is not. Prove me wrong otherwise. I realize there are collectors out there that never get on the internet and I'm sure have some wonderful collections. However I don't agree with you about one thing, I dont believe that there are more collectors not on the internet than that are. What you may not be taking into consideration is that a collector doesn't need to be online for there collections to end up there. Anytime someone uploads a picture, uses a word, face, or MECA its on the web. So its real easy for non-computer using people to end up on the internet with out ever touching a keyboard. So how do I know one of these collectors doesnt have this sign, well I dont but ask yourself the same question how do you know they do? I stand behind what Im saying and will say it just like I said it in the listing on eBay. This sign is believed to be the only one of its kind and no other example has been found that anyone can prove up to this point. Im sure many of the speculators will try to prove me wrong and I encourage anyone with knowledge of this exact sign to bring another one forward. As you said it 100's of these where probably made. So where are they then? Crazy to believe someone has gone around picking them and are keeping them in hiding.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
some people just don't have a clue.

$250. shipping??? that will keep several serious buyers away.

Betting the sign won't top 1600. condition will keep most serious buyers away also.

Last edited by KZ1000; Sat May 05 2012 12:18 PM.

"Remember, history that is forgotten is doomed to repeat itself!"
TBA Feature Host
TBA Feature Host
Since google was invented now every one thinks they are educated and if they can't find it on a seach it MUST be RARE!!!

The most valuable commodity I know of is information-Wall Street
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings *

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved