Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
#32414 Mon Aug 04 2003 05:13 PM
R
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
R
Guys I agree that there are some people in this hobby mainly for the bucks,they try to come off as collectors but you can tell.BUT,for every smart ass in our hobby there are a great many more willing to go out of there way to help a fellow collector.I have been to IOWA GAS several times and Its not as layed back as other shows seems to be more business than fun but I go because I love this hobby and enjoy the people in it.Remain positive and good things will happen.Our hobby is alive and well this site is an example of our interest.Don't let a bad experience change your ambitions.

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#32415 Mon Aug 04 2003 06:39 PM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
BIG CHEESE....
Thanks for listening and doing many of us here a Huge favor. When are the dates of your Fall show?

OK...I'll answer my own question...Duh! I see the banner ad at the top of the page that it's October 18th & 19th. Sorry for being 40+! (My 18 year old
son reminds me all the time of my advanced years!)

[This message has been edited by Sinclair Joe (edited 08-04-2003).]

Sinclair Joe
#32416 Mon Aug 04 2003 09:34 PM
B
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
B
Get a free Michigan Gas white T-shirt with graphics at the Michigan Fall Gas Show when you mention oldgas.com at the gate. Compliments of Big Cheese Productions, Inc. Knew to the BBQ menu for the fall show- fresh homemade CHILI. If there is anything else we can do for you petro nuts let us know. Momma Cheese.

#32417 Mon Aug 04 2003 10:33 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Chris,
You get out of this hobby what you put into it (just like anything else in life).

One hip for a Wayne 60 shouldn't be that hard to find. Have you called the vendors that are listed on this site? Have you run an ad in CTO or PCM? If you don't subscribe, you can link to PCM from this site. You'll be able to read the PCM classified ads online. Have you asked any of the pump dealers to give you a call if they get a parts pump? Have you asked other pump collectors/restorers to keep an eye open for what you need? The part you need isn't going to drop on your door step, you need to let people know what you're looking for. Keep in mind the Wayne 60 is probably the most sought after pump ever made. Parts won't be cheap.

I agree with Rex. Iowa Gas isn't nearly as laid back as some of the shows. I can't recall ever running into a rude dealer there though. A dealer deserves to make a profit on the items he sells. Think about what a dealer has invested in time and money gathering items for re-sale. You'd be surprised how little money some of these guys are really making. Someone has to make something off this stuff otherwise it would go to a landfill.
Bob

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
#32418 Mon Aug 04 2003 10:42 PM
J
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
J
Hay, this started out asking who was going to Iowa Gas, what happened?????
Has everybody left already?

[This message has been edited by Jack Sim (edited 08-05-2003).]

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
#32419 Tue Aug 05 2003 10:08 AM
C
C
I think I was the one that helped derail this one. Sorry. . . but I might make it further digress.

My take on it: Yes, dealers deserve to make profit on their sales . . .

BUT!!!! When you got guys going around picking up $50 pumps and selling them off at $350+ I just can't see any friendliness to the hobby. There's guys with more pumps than they can restore sitting in their shops. I don't have much of a problem with that as I do with the fact that the reason they are holding onto them is because they will be worth more in the future.

Maybe it's jealousy, maybe it's 'cause I can't afford what I like. But when you know that most of the pumps could be sold for half their marked value and still give the finder 200% profit, well, you tend to wonder why you even like the hobby.

A fair price is a fair price in any market. Maybe I just don't understand $1200 for an unrestored Wayne 60.

#32420 Tue Aug 05 2003 10:26 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Chris: I think the last line of your post was right on, you just don't understand. It's about supply and demand. They are not making any more old pumps from the fifties. Once you part with an unrestored pump for 250.00 where are you going to find another one like it for that kind of money? With any collectable market you will have the more desirable, high end stuff. Its not relative to what someone paid for it, as much as how much is it worth to other collectors. I have developed a lot of contacts over the years, through hard work and perseverance I can turn pumps up at a good price fairly consistantly. That is not a true indication of it's worth, it's an indication of how hard I have worked to establish myself. Unfortunately I also see sellers at the shows asking outrageous prices for stuff. If you will notice though they usually cart the stuff home. Bottom line, you have chosen a collectable hobby that is really hot right now, it's not for the faint of heart financially.

#32421 Tue Aug 05 2003 10:45 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I think Pops was right on when He said: "You get..what you put into the Hobby" If you have the gumption to go out and hunt for the stuff relentlessly ...You will turn up good deals. If you are lacksidaisical (sp?) and dont have the time or passion for the hunt..you get stuff from the dealers who do at a marked up price. Supply and demand absolutely applies as well. I dont have alot of time to go hunting but definately have the passion for it. I have gotten pumps for free by being persistant without being annoying and have paid hundreds for pumps I just had to have. Another of my Favorite Pops quotes is "I cant own it All at one time ...But maybe I can own it all one time". I love that quote because I have had items I thought i would never get rid of and through selling and trading they reside in others collections. Sometimes I make a couple of bucks sometimes I take a loss ...but It seems it evens out and my love for the Hobby resides firmly in my heart and soul. I never get discouraged with the Hobby...Just people and even that rarely happens. Not to sound like a Hippie or anything but what goes around comes around ...if you have a great attitude and are helpful...it will come back to you. Have fun...be helpful and take pride and enjoy building your collection.
---------------------------------------------
Hubba, smiling and stepping off the soapbox in Shoreline WA

Hubba: GAS GEEK , OIL FREAK of Seattle WA
#32422 Tue Aug 05 2003 11:06 AM
D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
Chris it may be just a hobby to you, to some of us it is our bread and butter and survival and a hobby. I have not had much of an income the last 11 months from the work that i do, but because I sold parts of my collection I can survive. If the only way you could survive was to sell off your collection or parts of it would you really sell a pump for 600 that you could get a 100-1200 for.
Actually I did that; I sold a pop cooler for 375 cuz i paid 300 a month before and my buddy wanted it, within a month he gets offered(and takes) 500 or 600 and the guy left it there. Then the guy ends up in jail, he still has the cooler. I dont feel like a winner when that happens.
Even though I dont work as much , i still pay for the space my shop is in .. so i pay 10,000 a year to store my stuff, so I never feel bad for making a profit.
If i would have a steady job , I guess I would feel different about it, but it does take time to pound the ground and find stuff and somewhere in life if you get some benefit from that, its great. If you looked harder you could find more and sometimes you will get the deals.
Also you can ask any price at a show that you chose, it is harder to go up in price than down. The reality is , it is worth what you can get..thats it. So if you dont like the price , make an offer, tell them what you want to pay. At the end of the day, the overpriced guy may deal. Also the guys that sell at higher prices tend to buy more collections and break them up , it takes cash to do this. If a collection gets absorbed by another collecter the stuff is still gone and you still dont get to buy any of it. So if they sold for 40 % less and didnt get to the swapmeets, there wouldnt be much to buy, I think.... my 2 cents worth ...dodogas

#32423 Tue Aug 05 2003 11:53 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Chris,
I don't think you're looking at the big picture. Say a guy goes out and buys a pump from a farmer for $50 so he can sell it at a swap meet. The dealer doesn't have $50 in that pump, he has much more. First he's got time invested searching for the pump. He might have some labor in disconnecting the pump and capping the pipe and electric. Then he has to haul it home, unload it, and possibly power wash it. Then he has to load it back up, haul it to the swap meet (possibly 2 or 3 swap meets). He's got fuel, lodging,meals, and set up fees to get to the meet. Don't forget about the time he's got invested in all of this work too. If the dealer is going to pay himself anything at all he better be getting $350 for that pump. Also keep in mind that most of the swap meet dealers are collectors that are just trying to help support their collecting habit. They sure aren't getting rich selling pumps!

Most guys don't hoard this stuff. Most guys plan on restoring their pumps. It all takes time.

$1200 for an unrestored Wayne 60 is not out of line if the pump is complete and in good shape. You can find them priced in the $800-$900 range here in the mid-west but they usually have some rust.

The good thing is you already have the pump. You just need a hip for it. If you do the things I listed before I'm sure you'll find one. I'd hate to think I couldn't track one down with fewer than 10 phone calls. There is no substitute for developing relationships with other collectors and dealers. It takes time. If you're not willing to invest your time in the hobby, then you won't enjoy the hobby. If you think figuring out who to make those ten phone calls to is too much trouble then you probably never will enjoy the hobby.

You certainly don't need alot of money to enjoy the hobby. If you want to collect pumps, start off with something cheaper. Try restoring some of the less desireable pumps first. Enjoy those for awhile then sell them so you can move on to some more desireable pumps.

I never thought I'd have the collection that I have now. You can't build a collection overnight. I've sold off some things I wish I could have kept, so I could afford to buy better stuff. Along the way I've made some really good friends.
Bob

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
#32424 Tue Aug 05 2003 01:10 PM
D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
Chris, I understand where you're coming from. I'm 28 and have collected for about 6 years, mainly gas signs. When I first started an older collector told me that in this hobby you'll meet alot of strange people and most are motivated by greed.
In my experience everyone is either 1.) trying to make a tidy profit or 2.) trying to enhance their own collections. Myself included. Utopia this ain't...
Hubba said it pretty well. The deals are out there and it requires alot of sweat, blood, anxiety, not to mention cash. Good luck man--and as the Duke put it: "don't let the bastards grind you down..."

[This message has been edited by DCpate (edited 08-05-2003).]

There's no stopping the Cretins from hopping
You've got to keep it beating for the hopping Cretins
#32425 Tue Aug 05 2003 02:38 PM
L
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
L
A few points about being in the pump end of this hobby. I sell restored pumps, that is, restored to the standards I like them. Same for some and different for others.

I restored my last $250 Wayne 60 years ago and sold it. The first rule of being in the pump business is the customer always wants what you dont have in inventory, so to me there is no point in stocking 20-30 pumps.
When I take an order, the customer is willing to pay the price but expects it to be completed in a timely manner and delivered usually to an upcoming meet. That means I have to start making phone calls until I find the pump and then I pretty much have to pay to get it. The seller knows I need to buy and everyone with $30 has a copy of "THE BOOK" so you can bet I am going to get a "BOOK" quote and maybe then some. If I have to pay $1200 for a Cut 60, so be it, but I have to pass that $1200 plus transportation on to the customer. Stripping, Parts, Plating, Paint, Globes, get higher every day and that cost is passed on to the customer as well.

Its not like buying a sign or globe and putting it up on the shelf or wall until the next "Big One" and selling it. When I promise a finished pump, I have to deliver. It doesnt matter if its 110, or 40 degrees I have to do bodywork, paint, etc.

I do it to support my hobby which is pump collecting, I guarantee I'm not getting rich.
Like dodo says, I often have to sell something to afford something new. For me thats the fun of it.

Frankie just sold some nice 60 parts on ebay. I guarantee you they are not going to get cheaper. These pumps are so sought after that there are very few being parted out. I looked for 3 years trying to find a narrow body leg for one of my keepers.

Larry

larry ivy
#32426 Tue Aug 05 2003 04:26 PM
+
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
+
Hey Chris, In Petroleum collectibles monthly classifeds, Greg Fortin is parting out two Wayne 60 wide bodys. you can call him between 7:00 to 11:00 at 1-810 695 1237 or e-mail him at gregfortin@comcast.net give him a call , he's a long time collector if he dosen't have it I'll bet he can get it

Chris Holt
#32427 Tue Aug 05 2003 04:34 PM
+
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
+
Hey Chris , in the Petroleum collectibles Monthly, Greg Fortin is parting out two Wayne 60's, you can call him at 1 810 695 1237 between the hours of 7:00 to 11:00 or e-mail him at gregfortin@comcast.net he's a long time collector, if he dosen't have it he probibly knows someone that does. I hope this helps.

Chris Holt
#32428 Wed Aug 06 2003 12:35 PM
E
EJC Offline
E
As a relative newbie to Petroliana, BUT as a veteran swap meet goer, I've noticed in Petroliana meets, there isn't as much bargaining for price as there is in other hobby (like movie collectibles or antique radio)meets. I know in every collectible hobby there is overhead, but I don't always pay the first price a guy quotes me for an item....

[This message has been edited by EJC (edited 08-06-2003).]

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved