Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
its "Patina"

"Remember, history that is forgotten is doomed to repeat itself!"
N
OP Offline
N
O I see Ive missed out on the fun and smack talking. Now if you can stop playing grab ***** for a second with each other and put the pom poms down we can get back to business. For the one who wasnt even smart enough to operate eBay to see clear as day POWER SELLER right across the top I really cant help you out to much because I would have to wake up my 1st grader to have to explain it to you so you could understand. The sad part about it all is Im not even a collector of signs like the other 2 cheerleaders and I have a better sign than both of them put together, now thats bad. Another thing is you weren't saying that the other day when you were kissing my butt and low balling me with your 400 dollar offers. The second sad thing about it is that Ive only been studying signs for 2 weeks and know more than both of you. The most important FACT of it all is that neither one of you can prove there is another sign which just stregnths my case even more. You say its rare, yes its rare but so is a 1969 Camaro SS with Matching numbers. At least I would be able to prove there is another one. I dont argue the fact that many of these where made however if its just rare show me another one. The fact is you cant and I know you been looking and calling everyone you know all day so you could prove the stupid blond wrong. Believe me I can make you look even more like your talking from your butt if you would like. Ive said this more than once that I wish someone would produce another one so we had something to compare it to. However show me any sign in your collection and I will show you another one just like it. Being one of a kind and the only one known to excist means just that. It doesnt mean the only one ever made nor do I claim that at all. What I have said is the same thing, Its a one of a kind and believe to be the only one that is left to exist not the only one ever made. The only reason why your bringing it down is because you cant afford it and if you cant play your going to take your ball and go home. Sorry if you guys cant take what your dishing out but the least I could do is give it right back. I will be awaiting your kind response. LOL

Last edited by noreservegirl; Sat May 05 2012 11:38 PM.
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Thank You KZ...I really wish there was spellcheck on this site (sight? smile )....Really!

Jim

Wanted: Wadhams - Bartles - O'neils - Items
N
OP Offline
N
damn did you just google that??

M
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
M
Wow!Old washed out tin sign.This is ridiculous.Cool but not a gold mine!Really?

A
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
A
my GUESS... $750.00 max !

N
OP Offline
N
Exactly not a million dollar sign by any means just a sign that happened to survive a long time. Is it cool? yes, is it unique? yes, does it have condition issues, yes? Who knows how much this thing will bring? No one but the last guy bidding!

A
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
A
Marathon Timed Gasoline was a 70 octane gas introduced in 1934.

Last edited by always lookin; Sat May 05 2012 10:27 PM.
N
OP Offline
N
I did come across tht information as well and it very well could be just doesnt explain the '22 thats embossed on the sign. I also discovered that Ohio Oil had been involved in numerous successful oil production ventures and found they needed even more retail outlets for their products. In 1930 Ohio Oil purchased Transcontinental Oil, a refiner/marketer that had marketed gasoline under the trademark, Marathon, the Pheidippides
(Greek Runner) trademark and the Best in the long run slogan since 1920. They had acquired the brand from a Pittsburgh operation, Riverside Oil Company that we believe to be a forerunner of Republic Oil Company. Transcontinental sold gasoline under the Marathon name across the Midwest and South. In saying that I believe that this sign was actually a Trancontinintal Sign which was sold in 1930 so not sure of the explanation of that. I dont think it had the same meaning but of coursr I could be wrong.Either way it goes Im just ready for this sign to be in the hands of someone else. I like it but it sure has struck up quite the debate. Thanks for the info becuase your right the New Timmed Gasoline Was introduced in the 30s.

Last edited by noreservegirl; Sat May 05 2012 10:55 PM.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
noreservegirl

how would you feel if we started babbling about who should die in the next twilight movie or who slept with who on beverly 90201. you would probably tell us to shut up???

anyone looking at your sign and willing to spend money on it, already knows more about the sign than you. next time you find an unusual item, just list it on ebay for the world to see. trust me, you dont have to know what you are selling to get its close retail value on ebay. after all, thats all that matters to you....never leave a penny on the table. hope this wringer you put yourself through is worth it

next time i would not pretend to be all knowing about your item, as you are an amateur on a forum filled with educated people. you have already burned the bridges of many potential buyers already. best remedy for you is to be quiet and go away. let the sign sell itself. you have taken plenty of good pictures.

see me at Mason Dixon Gas, Spring Carlisle M114-115, and Hershey C4E-35.
Originally Posted By: noreservegirl
Well guess I cant really argue with tht but like I said already find another one like it.

Originally Posted By: K W FRITH
Richard Amistadi has one listed in his book, so that means that he has owned one at some time or another and he values a real good one at $900 to $2000 and his valuations are usually high. We know yours isn't the only one and I'm sure there are others but you do have a fairly rare sign in below average condition.

Did you read this???

What is that??? Another does exist?? Are you going to edit your ebay ad? I wouldnt want to see you lose your "Powerseller" status. That rating is hard to get!!!

BTW.. Page 33 of Amistadi's Antique Advertising book.

Last edited by Ryan Underthun; Sun May 06 2012 06:12 AM.

FREEDOM oil items wanted.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Thank you and God Bless "thermoman" and "Ryan Underthun" for your words of wisdom and TRUTH.

This whole deal reminds me of Suzie's snafu with the Sunset Gasoline sign...

Last edited by Chevrolet SS; Sun May 06 2012 06:15 AM.

Ron Gordon
Cell: 815.762.2616
Email: flash03@comcast.net
B
B
Amen. I thought the same thing when I started reading her posts... I agree with thermoman to just list it on Feebay and let it ride.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
[quote=noreservegirlTranscontinental sold gasoline under the Marathon name across the Midwest and South. In saying that I believe that this sign was actually a Trancontinintal Sign which was sold in 1930 so not sure of the explanation of that.[/quote]

It is a Transcontinetal sign.

Also...IMO....Amistadi has this sign way under valued in his book. This sign in a 9 or 10 condition would be double his price....easily.

noreserve girl has certainly given all of us some free entertainment..it's been fun reading. A little passion and excitement never hurt anybody.

A
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
A
its not the same sign thats in his book.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings *

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved