Oldgas.com Home

Home | Help | Events | Classifieds | Bookstore | Pictures | Auctions | Links | Collectors | Parts | Contact

Topic Options
#324618 - Tue May 08 2012 09:35 PM Pathetic Repop
wocopep Offline
Petro Enthusiast

Loc: Wetumpka,Al.
Ebay #221015757960 Misspelled cougar to get by company name conflict. Crappy art work. No grommets. These signs were only made in six foot versions.

#324622 - Tue May 08 2012 09:41 PM Re: Pathetic Repop [Re: wocopep]
tooter Offline
Petro Enthusiast

Loc: N.Iowa
I messaged them!

I think we should smothered em with messages telling them what a scam they are pulling....

sad part is 10 bids so far!!!!

found it in an estate!!!! yea whatever!!!!

Edited by tooter (Tue May 08 2012 09:41 PM)

#324627 - Tue May 08 2012 10:24 PM Re: Pathetic Repop [Re: tooter]
Dick Bennett Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Santa Paula, Calif
Why point out their mistakes to them? They will correct & then the signs WILL BE a Problem!

#324636 - Tue May 08 2012 10:56 PM Re: Pathetic Repop [Re: Dick Bennett]
Bob Richards Online   happy
Veteran Member

Loc: Longview, WA
Let me play "Devil's Advocate". How does anyone know that the seller, didn't buy an Estate and the sign was part of said Estate?

I've purchased a couple smaller Estates and have found repops and fantasy sign among the items...

If I wasn't "in the hobby" and was looking to turn the items... I would post an auction just as this seller did....

Unless this seller has had other instances where they have been brought to someone's attention in the hobby for passing repop and fantasy items.... Could be they are just an innocent "bystander" that found a "corrupt" item...

#324650 - Wed May 09 2012 05:33 AM Re: Pathetic Repop [Re: Bob Richards]
Wes Hague Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: canada
Thats the most sensible post on repop signs anyone has made on here since I've been a member. Thank You Bob,,

( FOR NOT RUSHING TO JUDGEMENT AND CRITIZING )

#324656 - Wed May 09 2012 06:22 AM Re: Pathetic Repop [Re: Wes Hague]
THE AMERICAN GARAGE Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: PECONIC BAY, L.I., NY, USA
Couger is spelled wrong, unless it's someone's name and not referring the cougar cat. I don't see a couger oil company listed in the logo book.

#324735 - Wed May 09 2012 02:33 PM Re: Pathetic Repop [Re: THE AMERICAN GARAGE]
GILMORE Offline
Petro Enthusiast

Loc: Lake of the Ozarks, MO
I found a couple 1950 articles mentioning a COUGER Oil Co of Twin Falls, drilling wells in Idaho. Also found several other articles from Idaho papers where it is listed as COUGAR Oil Co.

Perhaps there WAS a COUGER Oil Co...??? Is it possible that COUGAR Oil Co was originally COUGER Oil? I have NO idea, I'll leave it to you experts.

I see COUGAR Oil Inc is still around (I assume this is the same company as the old COUGAR Oil Co) and has the same logo, basically, as the sign on ebay...

COUGAR Oil Inc

Edited by GILMORE (Wed May 09 2012 02:54 PM)

#324737 - Wed May 09 2012 02:57 PM Re: Pathetic Repop [Re: GILMORE]
gulfiend! Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Raleigh, North Carolina
...there's a photo of the large (real) sign in the book 'Pump and Circumstance' by John Margolies, on pg. 24 - and Cougar is spelled correctly...

Click on magnifying glass icon on lower left to search eBay

Copyright © 2016 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved