Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#32474 Fri Sep 14 2007 02:55 PM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
I come to this site to gain knowledge and chat with folks who have the same interests as me.The constant bickering and knocking of each other is just stupid.

I'm at the point where I don't think I'll be stopping by anymore.I know I'm just a nobody in central New York but I've enjoyed this site allot for the last couple years since I started collecting.

This site has 8300 members and only about 30 who post regularly perhaps it's because of the constant name calling and squabbling.When I first started lurking on here there were allot more "regular" posters now we have a hard time getting 10 folks to say howdy in the morning.

Jim has put so much effort into this site I feel bad for him.The moderators work there butts off to keep things running smoothly.The weekly & monthly features are superb.It's a shame that every week we have a public argument on here that drives more & more people away.If it continues there will be no one left and the site will just go away.I don't think anyone wants that do you?

I know if I'm sitting here typing this it's gotten pretty bad because I usually just keep my mouth shut and wait for the disagreement to pass but it seems it's something different every week.

I was told when I was a kid that if I didn't have anything nice to say to keep my mouth shut.I've done that for the most part for all 38 years of my life & it's worked well for me.

I have an obligation to the site for Map of the month and I will keep that for Jim & the moderators who work there @sse$ off on here but other than that I won't be stopping by anymore.It's been a fun couple of years I've gained a ton of knowledge,I just don't like the bickering.

I'd like to take this opportunity to say Thank You to Jim,Hubba,Bob and all the rest who work so hard on this site.

Tom

[This message has been edited by nochevys (edited 09-14-2007).]

Got Socony???

Tom
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#32475 Fri Sep 14 2007 03:14 PM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I will have to agree with you. My antivirous soafware has even given me an alert so I also have to say that I feel sorry for Jim having put so much effort into making this a Good site to visit only to have a few tear at it.

#32476 Fri Sep 14 2007 03:25 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
tom i feel the same as you,and i also usually keep my opinions to myself.i am not gonna start anything but i will ask you to reconsider and dont quit your posts just because of a few others.if that happens then they will have won and before you know it there will be no one here but the ones who will bicker bout it.the best way is for the regulars to keep posting and just let those who wish to cause trouble slowly get themselves banned from the site.i have been here for going on 4 years,and have learned more here,and made many new friends.i will not give that up because some have big egos and think that their opinion is the one that matters.too much knowledge to be gained.and i also thank all the mods for all the work they put into this site!mick

[This message has been edited by oldnfuelish (edited 09-14-2007).]

Looking for gas,oil related clocks,especially neon and spinners .clock repair available. Mick
#32477 Fri Sep 14 2007 03:46 PM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I'm with you. I've gotten to the point I just shake my head and really don't feel like participating. I've learned so much about this hobby through this site and I believe it has only helped the growth of it, but the other stuff just puts one off. Probably too much said already so I'll take my own advice and quietly sit in the back ground.........Dave.

........Dave
#32478 Fri Sep 14 2007 04:00 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I want to appologise to any who read my comments and were put off in regards to this site, that was not my intent. I came to this site to learn more about the hobby I enjoy. The bickering will continue as long as some feel the need to make fun of and belittle others here. I will be leaving the site, so maybe some of you will change your minds and stay.

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
#32479 Fri Sep 14 2007 04:21 PM
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
Finally a subject that I am willing to get behind! I personally get tired of reading the snide remarks and mud slinging. I've had enough and only post on occasion. Then the subject is one that I feel won't cause confrontations. Not that I'm affraid of conflict but at my age, I've learned that nothing is really worth getting fired up about. "Opinions are only worth what you pay for them." Ps....I've met Tom and he's a class act.....thanks for starting this post.Paul

#32480 Fri Sep 14 2007 04:40 PM
J
J
I have been a member for a few years Know And have not posted any thing for the last 6 Months For the same reasons . There are a few member on this site that seem to think that they can veriabily abuse other members By giving sarcastic comments to there Questions
I do not know as much as them and will never Know as mush as the experts.
I get very ****** of when I ask a question and get a crappy respons Or smartass answers or even better "ON FEEDBACK AT ALL"for Questions Asked ???????

#32481 Fri Sep 14 2007 05:49 PM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Well, I'm like many of you. I've been here for about 5 years and check this site every day. Most of my posts are just saying hi, happy birthday or congrats to someone. I've stayed out of the confrontations but have to admit at times I do like reading them. Some get out of hand and create some bad feelings. Unfortunately, this is just the way it is and will continue to be if there are only two people posting. Everyday we all deal with people where we just don't appreciate their attitude, opionions or cockiness. Sometimes you can take it, other times not. But, you still have to get up the next day and go back. I don't want to see anyone leave this site, but it certainly is your option. Or, you can stay here, still post and be appreciated by many of us. Believe me, we can do a pretty good job of sorting out the type of person who's doing the posting and who's causing the problems. Most of us have met people in person because of this site and have made frienships that we wouldn't trade for that rare item. Hope you all stick around, but I'll continue to take the good with the bad. Too many nice people for me to walk away. I'll just continue to learn more, share what I can and stay away from those that think they need to be the ***hole on behalf of the group. Jim, Bob and Hubba - God bless and thanks.

#32482 Fri Sep 14 2007 05:55 PM
T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
I havent commented or posted anything in a long time. For the same reason John Hereygers has mentioned. I have posted pics of stuff here on the site and get NO Feed Back or smart *** comments, and I know they havent seen some of the stuff I have posted. There ARE good people I have met on this site...either have bought/sold something or just stopped by to see what they had. But there are also people who are just plain A******* and would never want to meet them even if they paid me to take their stuff, just because of attitude here on this site or when trying to deal with them...and these people know who they are also. Do I still visit here, yeah of course, but just wont post anything. Sorry to all those good people that are on the site who truely enjoy seeing good stuff, but unfortuneately the rotton apples on the this site have ruined it. So I dont post, but will continue to read and glean knowledge from this site.

Easy G. Butler

#32483 Fri Sep 14 2007 06:23 PM
S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
Wow, you guys are pulling the rug out from under me. I'm just new this last year & have received much valuable info on this site. I'm also starting to get know some of you just thru your postings. Lots of integrity & good in vast majority of you. When you guys say that you're leaving, does this mean that if I pose a question that you have the answer to & nobody else does, that you won't bother answering? Please hang in here for awhile to help some of us newbies out. I must confess that it seems like things have gone downhill on the posting since I first started. What did I do????? Sam

#32484 Fri Sep 14 2007 06:24 PM
V
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
V
I havent been a member here long, but have definitely noticed the increase of needless bickering. When I first joined I was welcolmed and was encouraged to ask stupid questions that a newbie will ask. Everyone has been helpful to me personally, but sometimes I am reluctant to ask a question now because I see others being mocked. At first I thought it was good natured ribbing among guys who know each other (which some definitely is)which is fine and entertaining. However lately I have read snide comments and outright attacks over nothing. I can only assume these members have a "history" between them, but I dont think this is the place to settle differences.
I have also noticed that the Moderator has had to intervene and warn people about their comments which did not happen before. I have also noticed far fewer posts. At first, I thought it was because it was summer and people were just busy. Now I wonder if people are just turned off and dont check in anymore.
Im glad Tom started this post. I think he said what a lot of us have been thinking. I ask all of those who have "had it" to hang on and stay for another month and see what happens. Do not let the few ruin a good thing for the many. We need to stick together and keep this "the best damned petroliana site on the web." Let the guys who want to show off their superior knowledge by demeaning others take their attitude elsewhere. You know who you are.
John

Wanted: Original Jenney Gas, Husky, Marathon, and Frontier Globes
#32485 Fri Sep 14 2007 08:19 PM
R
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
R
Tom, Bob, and any others- I hope you don't leave the site. Just ignore the sour stuff.

Looking for photos, etc from 60s era Shell-A-Rama gas station and Pal's Diner, Rt. 17 Mahwah, NJ
& US or state highway signs, shields, route markers
#32486 Fri Sep 14 2007 08:40 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I hope no one stops posting because of some others. I don't like it either but i try to let it go myself.

I would like to see it posted when someone get kicked off. Let others see what happens when people don't play well with others.

Looking for anything from Hoosier Pete, Platolene 500 and Red Bird.
#32487 Fri Sep 14 2007 08:54 PM
It really bothers the moderators to lose the participation of good active members. We try not to constantly censor everything. We expect members to act responsibly with respect for each other. These things go in cycles because disrespect feeds on itself and emboldens others to jump in and act unacceptably.

With my current schedule, I'm not able to watch for problem people as much as I'd like. Even lurkers can help, kind of like a neighborhood watch. When you see unacceptable activity on Shop Talk, take a moment and send me a note about it. Click on "Contact" on the very top edge of any Shop Talk page. I could use some extra eyes to see all of what is going on even when I'm at work or otherwise not available online. Don't get into an online argument with the problem person. Often that just feeds their ego.

As far as any drop in activity, July 2007 was a record high month for traffic viewing the site with 594,592 pageviews. August was also over a half million and was more than any month this past winter. Winter is normally higher than summer, so that shows a solid growth trend.

Just as in a real-world community, when the good citizens leave, the troublemakers just gain strength. Please stay active and outlast the problem people.

------------------
Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
#32488 Fri Sep 14 2007 09:20 PM
V
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
V
Jim,
Thank you for the comments. I could be wrong, but I have noticed a drop off in posts. Im sure you are correct about record numbers of people "viewing", but that isnt the same as posts. I hope its just the fact that people are busy in the summer, rather than the reasons expressed on this subject....agrumentative "experts" (who are often proven wrong), but cant resist taking a cheap shot at someone for their own gratification. I wish these guys would get a real life or get booted from the site. They know who they are.
John

Wanted: Original Jenney Gas, Husky, Marathon, and Frontier Globes
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved