Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
B
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
B
This past weekend I scored a real small fountain type white porcilean drinking fountain with working spring loaded valve/knob and drain. Should be really cool if I can clean it up some. It has rust and hard water stain inside and out. I was thinking CLR or an acid but dont want to hurt it or set the stain so hard it wont come out if it is not already. Any thoughts or suggestion would be appreciated.

Rick

Rick H, Sacramento Ca.
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
...read the labels: most of them warn that the cleaner could etch older porcelain...once the gloss is gone, it's gone...

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Go to the dollar store and get the toilet bowl cleaner it works great and that sort of stuff.

I am always looking for anything Texaco or Oklahoma oil and gas company's, also I am a newbie at seeking globes.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Try bleach.

L
L
If there's hard water buildup you can use muriatic (swimming pool) acid, diluted to about 20% (add 1 part acid to about 5 parts water). I've used it straight and it works well and quickly. Just don't let it sit on chrome for more than a few seconds or it'lll blue/black it.
For rust staining something with phosphoric acid should get it off the porcelin but may have to sit an hour or more to bleach it out. Bleach may do some but not against hard water, grime or rust. If it's dulled and most likely is, use a sink cleaner called Zud. It's very abrasive so only scrub as long as you have to. White and slightly dull looks better than dingy and a sheen from glossed over grime. You could then used some rubbing compounds and lots of elbow grease to shine it back up. Not that Zud will make it dull. Just use it sparingly. Cool find!

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved