Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#327158 Sun May 20 2012 04:31 PM
N
OP Offline
N
Ok, so I (as my user name states) am new to gas pumps. I was a diesel mechanic for over 10 yrs, so I'm not afraid to dive in and get something restored and see how it works. I aquired what I believe to be a good starter pump (Wayne 605). Its all complete minus one of the lower front panels- I recently started diving into this pump and have a few questions for some of the more experienced members. I am going to remove the lower guts (pump) of the unit for weight reasons and plan on keeping it inside my house once finished. Wondering if the pump and other related components in the lower portion of the pump is desirable @ all? Not sure if its worth it to hang onto and maybe sell/trade down the road or pitch it in the scrap dumpster and move on?
Secondly, is there a way to tell what the pump was originally by some of the paint work? I have begun to remove some of the components and have found what looks to be red and white stripes under the hose reel cap. The sign on it now shows it to be Gulf, but it looks to have been painted SEVERAL times over.
In looking over everything, I see 4 light bulbs under where the globe once sat (has since been capped off)- my guess is this pump originally had the clear or windowed front and rear glass on it but has since be converted for ....? Cost reasons?
Sorry to be all over the place, but im just getting into this gem and am stoked to make this pump look new(er) again. Thanks guys.

Last edited by newtothis; Sun May 20 2012 04:33 PM.
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Scrap the guts at the local salvage yard. The 605 came with either an ad glass top or a plain top but the electrical was the same for either so you can add ad glass panels to spruce it up if you want. Hard to tell what company it first came in. If you get to the very bottom layer of paint You might figure it out.

Keith

Drive with Care and Buy Sinclair!! I buy Sinclair globes, signs, cans, ect.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Good choice for a first pump--easy to work on and lots of readily available original parts. Check with Ryan Underthun on this site. He had a couple of really nice lower panels a while back. I have some but they would need some work.
Saving the parts would not be worth it, so just head them to the scrappers. Its a very common late model pump and the guts will never appreciate in our lifetime.
Red and white stripes up high like that probably mean that it was once a Cities Service pump.
These pumps came with either plain steel front caps or ad glass caps that would accept a glass panel that would advertise the brand being sold. The ad glass panels add a lot to the attractiveness of the pump and I would recommend installing them during your resto. I have some, if you need them.
Lastley, go to the top of this page and look for the bookstore tab and click on it. Look for Scott Benjamins "Guide to Gas Pump Resoration"--its worth the money spent. GOOD LUCK!!---KEVIN

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Choose & paint for the Company that YOU like [IF all Model T's were restored Black would you stop & look at each @ a car show?].
It's personal preference whether you keep the guts or remove them, but will not add/subtract value of pump.

Take LOTS of pictures during dis-assembly, might com in handy later.

Select globe/signs/decals THEN have paint Mixed to match.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Learn how to post pictures, will save a LOT of time PECKING [typing] out question[s].

Last edited by Dick Bennett; Sun May 20 2012 05:23 PM.

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved