Oldgas.com Home

Home | Help | Events | Books | Pictures | Auctions | Links | Collectors | Parts | Contact

Topic Options
#327262 - Sun May 20 2012 10:22 PM Pure-Pep pump plate, real or repop?
hobbies4howie Offline
Petro Enthusiast

Loc: North-Central Indiana
Is this real or a reproduction? It feels right as far as weight and porcelain thickness. The blue in the "Pure-Pep is darker than others I've seen. It doesnt say "The Pure Oil Company, U.S.A." inside the Pure emblem. The letters on the bottom of the sign and the circle around the emblem are a liitle sloppy. It is dated '56. Did they make different versions of this sign? Could it be a messed up sign from the factory or is it just a repop?

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#327263 - Sun May 20 2012 10:23 PM Re: Pure-Pep pump plate, real or repop? [Re: hobbies4howie]
chadrock00 Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Warsaw, Illinois
real

#327268 - Sun May 20 2012 10:28 PM Re: Pure-Pep pump plate, real or repop? [Re: hobbies4howie]
advertologist Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: So. Ca.
Real McCoy.. cool

#327271 - Sun May 20 2012 10:38 PM Re: Pure-Pep pump plate, real or repop? [Re: advertologist]
DWSheffer Online   content
Veteran Member

Loc: Hillsdale, Michigan
You are correct that there are different versions of this sign used in different periods of Pure's history. Just like with Pure globes, the older plates have "The Pure Oil Company USA" on them. Later version do not have this wording, just the jigsaw and the PURE wording. I just checked the restoration guide and the ones with the company information are from 1947-1957, plain ones are 1957-1961, even though yours is dated a year earlier, it is still an original sign.
Darin

Edited by DWSheffer (Sun May 20 2012 10:43 PM)

#327285 - Sun May 20 2012 11:11 PM Re: Pure-Pep pump plate, real or repop? [Re: DWSheffer]
hobbies4howie Offline
Petro Enthusiast

Loc: North-Central Indiana
Thanks for the info guys!

Moderator:  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun, Watchdog9 

Click on magnifying glass icon on lower left to search eBay

Copyright © 2017 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved