Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#327559 Tue May 22 2012 10:45 AM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Here's some food for thought. Something to seriously think about. For how long can America keep exporting technology & jobs?

http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=Lvl5Gan69Wo

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
O
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
O
china moto..... I drive Fords

oldgoaly #327570 Tue May 22 2012 12:37 PM
G
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
G
After the BAILOUT I only buy FORD!!

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Do you think we will ever be great again?

see me at Mason Dixon Gas, Spring Carlisle M114-115, and Hershey C4E-35.
N
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
N
Originally Posted By: thermoman

Nope!

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Interesting... I think I received that in an email before, but didn't watch it as I figured it was just another opinionated editorial... which it was. Not saying it isn't accurate, just saying it was pieced together to express their anti-GM views. They make it sound like GM is the only company investing in China.

Don't be naive, ALL auto manufacturers around the world are vying for a piece of the China auto market. I can tell by some of the comments here, that some bleed the "blue oval" of Ford. You guys do realize that Ford is, and has been, heavily invested in the China market too... or is this new news? Here's some of the latest Ford-China news...

Ford invests $760 million for new China plant, more capacity

As for the "bailout", it is sad that the "Big 3" were so badly managed and that the bailout happened. But, if you do some research, you'll find that while GM and Chrysler were loaned money and "bailed out", Ford itself received 6 Billion at that time, as well. Only it was termed a "loan" as they officially didn't need a bailout, like GM and Chrysler did. Yet, you never hear Ford mentioned in the bailout of the auto industry. Also, remember Ford privately mortgaged itself to investors a few years earlier, raising 26 Billion. Some of that money came from, you guessed it- the Chinese!

My mind is still open on the bailout issue. The good I see is that there seem to be more "positives" than "negatives" coming out of Detroit nowadays and it seems that all three of the companies are better managed. Did the "bailout" need to happen? Who knows what would have happened exactly if there were no loans/bailout. Would GM and Chrysler exist today?... would Ford? I assume so.

Reality is is that there is no "do-over". It happened whether we like it or not. If politics are your reason to be against it, do some research and you'll find that the last two administrations "bailed out" the auto industry. Yes, the current gave out an insane amount, but the loan amounts from the previous would surprise you, as well.

For what it's worth, I have nothing against Ford. Just putting some facts out there. I do my own research and don't rely on TV networks or flashpoint videos in chain emails to give me the news.

Soooo... good luck in trying to buy a vehicle where the company/manufacturer doesn't have Chinese investment or taxpayer money involved. Your better off building your car yourself. With that, good luck in trying to find USA made only parts... in fact, good luck trying to find North American made only parts. Yes, it's sad, but that's just the way it is and it's been that way for years. Nothing new.

Sell me your Gilmore Oil Co. stuff...
Notchcad #327629 Tue May 22 2012 05:52 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: notchcad
Originally Posted By: thermoman

Nope!

I agree... nope!

GILMORE #327658 Tue May 22 2012 07:40 PM
TBA Feature Host
TBA Feature Host
If some of you do not know ford is and has been invested in china due to there new ceo. Transmissions in many new ford porducts are sourced from china and have had many issues....I believe ford has stopped using these transmissions. The new ford mustang transmission is from china. I do not and will never buy anything made in china. They always make the item look the same but the quality is sub par. They are very good at copying but have no knowledge what so ever in enigneering and design.. I blame the amercian people for buying these products for all these years because they were/ are cheap....we dug our own hole now we must deal with it.

The most valuable commodity I know of is information-Wall Street
B
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
B
I agree with 57tbird.. everywhere you look everything is made in China and we export nothing anymore. Walmart is just a branch from China along with the other dept stores. You can part thank the high union wages for this. US companies are desperate to compete with unskilled labor and non union wage workers from foreign countries

N
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
N
It all boils down to Americans ( in general) are lazy and spoiled and aren't gonna get any better cause the new generations are spoiled rotten brats. No one wants to work anymore and think they are worth more than the next guy just cause they grew up a certain way. It will never turn back and will never be better. As the 40s,50s,and 60s babies die off we will no longer have anyone who ever worked hard or will remember what American made or proud to be American even means. Look around at what you work with in whatever industry you're in..... Bet it didn't look anything like that 20 years ago. That's what's happening to everything. Americans are too lazy to be proud. Instead they let other countries work and people from other countries work for cheaper and bring down wages and quality everywhere.......

Notchcad #327699 Wed May 23 2012 04:21 AM
G
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
G
I don't buy Ford cause there 100% made in American!! I just don't like bailing out unions. The public sector unions are running this country into bankruptcy

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: gaspumpdon
I don't buy Ford cause there 100% made in American!! I just don't like bailing out unions. The public sector unions are running this country into bankruptcy

I agree, to a point. I don't get your point on buying Ford only, as they are "in bed" with the unions as well. Ultimately, the same UAW deals with Ford. That's the same UAW that was involved in the bailout deals. Granted UAW doesn't have the same "stake" in Ford due to the bailout deals of GM and Chrysler, but like I said, same UAW. Educate me on how buying UAW built Ford is different than buying a UAW built GM or Chrysler vehicle.

Whether your an employee protected by a union or not, you likely want to see your income wage go up and have good health insurance/benefits. I've never heard of anyone saying they want lower wages and have their health insurance/benefits taken away. That's the good about unions, the bad is corruption. I come from Chicago, I know and have seen the corruption first hand.

GILMORE #327769 Wed May 23 2012 12:00 PM
G
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
G
Thats the point, the unions don't own ford!!

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: gaspumpdon
Thats the point, the unions don't own ford!!

I guess it matters how you look at it and at that, how you separate the "clean" money from the dirty, tainted bailout money. Ford is owned by stockholders. The UAW doesn't bury their profits/withholdings in the backyard, they invest it. Yep, they are invested in Ford. Same way they "own" GM, by being stockholders. Yes, they were "given" shares of the "new" GM company. They also lost money/shares due to the bankruptcy, which is in part, why they were given a percentage of GM, a percentage of stock. Should they have done that?... that's another topic. From what I've read, the "cause and effect" of the UAW losing all that money, would have hurt Ford as well. (and just so you know, this comes from papers such as the Wall Street Journal and Bloomberg, not from what you would call "Liberal" sources) That's one reason why Ford itself lobbied on behalf of GM and Chrysler to receive the bailout money- the "cause and effect" of it all.

It's easy to give the one-liners in all the ways Ford is better, but you need to realize that while the "Big 3" are competitors, they are tied into each other in more ways than one. One of those ways is the entity you hate- the UAW! I'm not trying to turn you against Ford, just pointing out facts that are readily available in media and on the internet. I've heard the Ford -vs- Chevy debate all my life and honestly don't understand the passion that goes with it. Not saying that is where you coming from, just sounds like it, IMO.

Your comments reminded me of when I was sitting in my chair at a car show last year, alongside several people I had just met. A guy who owned a (trailered) 60's something Mustang, and was wearing a "NO BAILOUT" Ford shirt and had a Kansas hat on, starting talking about what how he is fed up with the unions and was going to do his best not to support them. I didn't say anything, but a guy sitting by us made the comment that that was going to be hard to do. Long story short... the beer he was drinking was made by union workers, the store he bought that and his food from has a grocery union and the store itself was union built. The hotel he was staying at has union workers and also was union built. The newer Ford truck he had was UAW built and the trailer he hauled his Mustang on was likely union built. The roads he traveled on and the bridges he crossed were union built. Turns out he had a kid that attended Kansas and kids yet in high school- all union taught. As you can imagine, the guy stopped his union rant.

Since then, I see people wearing the "NO BAILOUT" Ford shirts and think of that guy.

GILMORE #327791 Wed May 23 2012 01:20 PM
Online Cool
Please remember that controversial political comments are not allowed on this forum. This topic is going in that direction. Please follow the rule.

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Tireflator Air Meter auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved