Oldgas.com Home

Home | Help | Events | Books | Pictures | Auctions | Links | Collectors | Parts | Contact

Topic Options
#328580 - Sun May 27 2012 03:03 PM Age or year Mobilgas porcelain placard?
Joel Offline

Loc: Santa Clarita, CA
Does anyone know what year this Mobilgas placard was prduced. No year on it and the back is black. Came off a 1940's Erie pump.
Thanks.

Edited by Joel (Sun May 27 2012 03:08 PM)

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#328592 - Sun May 27 2012 04:07 PM Re: Age or year Mobilgas porcelain placard? [Re: Joel]
DWSheffer Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Hillsdale, Michigan
Those are late 40's to early 50's production. This is the west coast black border version plates made for the General Petroleum territory.
Darin

#328618 - Sun May 27 2012 06:34 PM Re: Age or year Mobilgas porcelain placard? [Re: DWSheffer]
Joel Offline

Loc: Santa Clarita, CA
Thank you Darin for the info.

Edited by Joel (Sun May 27 2012 06:34 PM)

#328656 - Sun May 27 2012 08:51 PM Re: Age or year Mobilgas porcelain placard? [Re: DWSheffer]
Rich Jensen Offline

Loc: South Dakota
Originally Posted By: DWSheffer
This is the west coast black border version plates made for the General Petroleum territory.

Did that include South Dakota? There's an old Mobil station in Sioux Falls that's trimmed in black, not red.

#328796 - Mon May 28 2012 07:48 AM Re: Age or year Mobilgas porcelain placard? [Re: Rich Jensen]
DWSheffer Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Hillsdale, Michigan
Hi Rich,
What I was referring to is the border around the pump plate itself, nothing to do with the decoration of the stations themselves, which is what I think you are questioning. There are blue and black border versions of the pump plates. The black versions were used on the west coast by General Petroleum, which operated in Washington, Oregon, Arizona, Nevada, and California. General Pet. was acquired by Socony in 1926, 5 years before the Socony and Vacuum company merger.
Darin

Moderator:  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun, Watchdog9 

Click on magnifying glass icon on lower left to search eBay

Copyright © 2017 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved