Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
M
OP Offline
M
This pertains to an obscure childhood memory that keeps coming back to haunt me every now and then. And it's been kinda bothering me again the last couple days....

I remember going with my Dad somewhere when I was a little kid to take the car in for repairs. Can't even remember where the shop was at or what the name of it was, but what I DO remember was this thing on the counter that I believe was supposed to demonstrate the advantages of good shock abosrbers. It had two toy cars on it that sat upon a rubber strech of "road", and there was a crank on the side. When the crank was turned, the cars appeared to be travelling on the road which also happened to be littered with bumps and potholes. I believe the cars were something along the lines of mid-60's Buick Rivieras or Olds Toronados (Kinda like dealer promotional models, only with full-floating suspensions that acually WORKED!).

Anyone here have any idea what I'm talking about? It's probably been thirty years since I've seen one of these things. Closest thing I can compare it to today would be those Lucas Oil demonstrators with the gears that seem to adorn the counter of every auto parts store in the nation. I wouldn't mind acquiring one of these contraptions either...that is as long as I wouldn't have to pay out the wazoo for one!

BTW: I tried doing a search on eBay a couple times under "shock demonstrator" or "shock absorber demonstrator" and came up with nothing.

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
T
T
My Dad had a Monroe shock display in the 60's I remember it, but it had a couple of shocks, one worn & one new that you pushed a lever to tell the difference.
Butch

Conflict is inevitable.....
Combat is optional....
M
OP Offline
M
Well, here's one of those Monroe displays:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayIS...sspagename=WDVW

What I described above might not have been from a shock absober compay either. It might possibly have came from a supplier of suspension components?

I'm starting to think I'm the only person on the planet that remembers this thing.

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved