Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
JGD Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
I'm looking at getting a sandblaster, it's just getting too annoying taking parts to someone every time I need something blasted. I'm not looking to buy one from OldGas (so I didnt post to Wanted To Buy forum), I'll buy it new, I'm just looking for brand recommendations or tips from oldgassers! Here's what I'm looking for:

1. Not the cabinet type, just a stand alone one or one that can be somehow connected to my air compressor(I have a nice air compressor). I don't have indoor space for a cabinet, so I'll be blasting outside for now.
2. Nice quality well built brand.

Any recommendations or tips in general on a nice blaster for a beginner would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks -Jon

Jon
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
A
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
A
pros around here recommend bead blasting. They tell me sand is old way of doing it.

Allsource model 1257.

FREEDOM oil items wanted.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I use a portable media blaster by Maxus. It's a siphon feed with a 30 lb hopper. For around $60 it does a pretty good job. Uses blast media or sand if you want. I got it from the Grainger catalog.

G
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
G
I have a ACL F-100, I love it, just hate sandblasting!!!

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I got a pressurized one from eastwood for both my business and home and they work great. The best thing you need when blasting is good air pressure so a good compressor makes a blaster great. I use the one at home for any pumps that I restore for myself or others and yes sand is not the way to go as they make all kinds of blasting materials that work better on certain parts. Also you can get a TP tools and equipment catalog as they make great equipment also and have all the supplies. But don't forget "Good Air Pressure"!!

Thanks
Mike

Always Looking for any Pure Oil and Sunoco Items.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
and it has to be "dry air, minimal moisture".

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
JGD Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Thanks for all the advice guys! This really helps me out. Looks like some models can take sand or many different types of material, so when I buy one I'll make sure it can handle multiple types of material.

Jon
M
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
M
soda blasting is the new thing that everyone is using from where im at we have a sand blaster but the soda wont harm the metal from what i was told but guess its the same as sandblasting but they use bakingsoda

P
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
P
We have a Brut 300H, holds 300 pounds of sand, does a great job. You must have a compressor that will make alot of air no matter which you use and a good moisture trap to keep the sand dry.

Thanks, Phil
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: mavericks8371
soda blasting is the new thing that everyone is using from where im at we have a sand blaster but the soda wont harm the metal from what i was told but guess its the same as sandblasting but they use bakingsoda

But have heard it will not remove rust.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Originally Posted By: Dick Bennett
Originally Posted By: mavericks8371

But have heard it will not remove rust.

Not only will Soda not remove rust, but it is also bad for future paint jobs.
Soda blasting should not be used on cars. The major paint companies will not warranty any paint job on a vehicle that has been soda blasted. Soda leaves a residue behind that is very hard to remove. it gets inside the panels and will cause the paint to bubble. Some have got by with no problems, but many have not. And that is too much of a gamble when you are buying high priced paint.

TBA Feature Host
TBA Feature Host
Tptools.com skat blasters are the best i have used when it comes to a cabinet and made in USA. I would consider getting a large cabinet. Instead of a stand alone...blasting can get messy

The most valuable commodity I know of is information-Wall Street
O
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
O
I'll second TipTools, I bought a used one, had a couple of buddies with the same cabinet. I went to Hershey and talked to the boss Carmen, got a real good deal on supplies and repair parts. I also have a 99'r pot blaster, just be aware the dust is bad news and you will find it all over you when using it, and I duct taped just about every thing so it would not.....

S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
if you want to minimize your time blasting (which you will) you really need to get a unit with a pressurized pot. The gravity feed ones are a waste of your time IMO. Pressuring the sand in the pot vastly increasing cutting ability (saves time).

I have had the TexasBlaster for many years- and it works great and is built rock solid right here in the USA. I know they sell direct and at many major auto meets/car shows. TP Products are nice too. I even plumbed my pressure blaster so I can hook it up to my blast cabinet inside (runs circles around the small gravity feed unit supplied with cabinet).

Agree with above posters on LOTS of air. It's not the pressure you need so much (100 lbs blasts fine) - it's the volume of air that you need (CFM output).

good luck

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved