Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
O
OP Offline
O
Any recommendations on where it could be professionaly restored or stabilized now that there seems to be a consensus that this is an extremely rare piece. Any input on what the cost would be and would it add or detract from the value to do so? We're regular watchers of the Antiques Roadshow and it seems more often than not the recommendations for expert cleaning tends to be worth the cost in terms of adding value to a piece. Sometimes though they say it doesn't make any difference. All thoughts or comments are appreciated. I think we are still kinda stunned over the feedback so far as stated in an earlier post that we thought it had some value but nothing anticipated like we've heard so far.

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Even Professionals restorers can't guarantee there won't be some damage in the cleaning process.
Keeping it out of direct sunlight, indoors & dry [in a display cabinet is better].

M
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
M
I would not do anything besides wash it with soap and water. Put a light coat of oil and do as Dick said keep it out of the sun light. DO NOT RESTORE IT OR CLEAR COAT IT. Dan

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
You cannot damage it or effect its value if you just leave it alone, as it is right now its perfect, just put it in a case and look at it till the time comes to auction it.If you oil it, you have the problem of getting the oil off it in the future.

"Remember, history that is forgotten is doomed to repeat itself!"
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
In my opinion (and opinions vary) professionally restoring the can would severely decrease its value. I would rather buy a piece that I know is in good condition (like yours) than one that has been restored, cleaned, rubbed, fondled, or otherwise messed with. The can is in spectacular condition compared to most other '20s flat cans I've seen.

Wes

O
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
O
This can does'nt need restored it just needs to be admired. don't do anything to it.

O
OP Offline
O
I have a couple questions about condition ratings. Where does one find a rating scale for this type of collectible? I see ratings on other cans of 5.5, 7.5, 9, etc. My research for a chart of explanation has resulted in zilch so far. Any help would be good. Thanks.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
DON'T MESS WITH IT, JUST LEAVE IT ALONE.

That's a nice can as many on here have said. I wouldn't touch it with soap and water either. Just leave it.

As far as condition, it's rare and nice, so collectors or anyone that may be interested in buying isn't really going to care about its "rating", either seeing it in person or looking at pictures will tell them all they need to know.

Nice can, enjoy it.

Always looking for Ithaca Gun and Lucky Sam soda items!!!

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
# rating anything is in the eye of the owner/buyer.
An 8 or 9 rating to some might only be a 6 or 7 to others.
Even at the end of the assembly line, Very few items could be rated a 10 [minute scratches, minor dents, speck of dust in printing, all production flaws].

O
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
O
Dick is exactly right. there is no set scale as to rating a can- sign- globe or anything else, it all one's opinion. Please take heed to the advice given on this can. I'd like to call it a nice survivor'''''''''''''''Ron

O
OP Offline
O
Thanks guys for the clarification on the ratings scale. I was thinking there may have been something along the lines of condition ratings about the same way as numismatic grading.

I
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I
Nice find!!! You can send it to me for $1200 and you won't have to worry about cleaning it!!! $4600 - - I don't think so. I just love auctions!! PS - don't touch it!!

M
M
I have this Indian oil can in unbelievably fine condition with 0 rust.The Havoline writing on the cap is perfect. The only thing keeping it from being mint is a very small dent that I'm sure would right itself if I applied some air into the can which of course I won't do. I've had this can for forty something years along side my Harley and Indian quart cans. I think I would like to sell it now but don't know where to begin. Can anyone please steer me in the correct direction? Thanks in advance for any help.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Ebay, with GOOD PICTURES [show all sides & do not make it private, ebay will take care of that @ a certain point], let it run the full coarse.

B
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
B
Let's see some photos, can you email them to me and I'll post them here for you. Just hit the little envelope above this post here, and that will set you up with an email to me.

Welcome to OLDGAS.

Doug

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved