Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
O
OP Offline
O
Can anyone help with a value on an old oil can a friend of mine has on a 1 Gal INDIAN OIL can (Valvoline)he picked up from a discard pile at an auction several years ago? This is my first post so I'm not sure how to post pictures for viewing. I can email the pic if someone would take the time to post to this string. The can is primarily an olive green with red graphics and has the indian head logo with the single feather. I haven't been able to find anything else through internet research. The can has no dents and minimal surface rust. Hope you guys can help. Thanks.

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
Is it round or a rectangular qt with square or rounded edges and soldered seams?

Painted on or paper label??

Added, i found pics of them.. from the teens they say
CYLINDER OIL.. SHOWS 1/2 GALLON AND GALLON.. BOTH HAVE A D-RING ON TOP

[This message has been edited by dodogas (edited 01-21-2008).]

O
OP Offline
O
dodogas

I just sent you an email with pics of the can.

old oil can

D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
I did not get it yet, and am going away from computer for 8 hrs.

I cant post the pic anyway so if someone else comes along and offers to post, send it to them.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
oil can, I can try to post it... Drop me an email.

O
OP Offline
O
My next question would be what would be the best way to clean up these type of collectibles when you come upon them. I suggested to my friend not to do any cleaning until we find out more about it so as to not diminish any possible value. On the other hand you hate to see things deteriorate more by doing nothing. Any suggestions on preervation??

O
OP Offline
O
Here is the pic I was able to post following this sites great instructions for posting. THANKS!

O
OP Offline
O

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
THAT'S A KEEPER!! Some light cleaning of the surface rust on the top of the can and 2 coats of a decent wax and she'll be beautiful. I would test any wax, though, on the back in a small area using a soft WHITE cloth. This way if the cloth starts to get a tint of paint color, you need to stop. I have always had good luck with mineral spirits as a base cleaning followed by using nu-finish car polish (2 coats). That will give that can a beautiful shine. Value? That's tougher. Values on the can market in general have been down in the last 6 to 12 months in my opinion. Others have noticed as well. Value to me would be in the $200-$300 range. That's only my opinion based on what I'd be willing to pay and what the market seems to support for similar items.........Is he looking to sell :-) !!.......Dave

........Dave
T
T
if it dont bring $800 to $1000 somethings wrong

M
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
M
Last one I sold was at Roy Reed's auction and I think it sold for $4600 plus buyer's premium.

R
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
R
The Warmans book has it at $4800. Must have been the can from Reeds auction. Looks to be in slightly better condition than this one but still what a find!

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
That is a Extremely Rare Can and Very Old, The Indian Motorcycle company quit using the Word Motocycle in or around 1929. Hope this helps age it.

***Wanted*** Always looking for Oilzum, Kunz, and Husky Cans, Signs and Smalls.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
There's no way I'd try to clean that can if I were you. Definitely do not try to use car polish or anything else on it - there's too much at stake. Unless you're VERY experienced at cleaning cans, just leave it as it is.

What a great find!

Wes

D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
It is not the same as the ones I have pics of in a book, they are 20,s. I think this is 30,s. I would not touch it especially because 2 sides display well.. but why take a chance!!

It is a high end can , should bring great money but be carefull where you try to sell it!1.. or keep it..best can you will probably ever find!1

nice..

O
OP Offline
O
Any recommendations on where it could be professionaly restored or stabilized now that there seems to be a consensus that this is an extremely rare piece. Any input on what the cost would be and would it add or detract from the value to do so? We're regular watchers of the Antiques Roadshow and it seems more often than not the recommendations for expert cleaning tends to be worth the cost in terms of adding value to a piece. Sometimes though they say it doesn't make any difference. All thoughts or comments are appreciated. I think we are still kinda stunned over the feedback so far as stated in an earlier post that we thought it had some value but nothing anticipated like we've heard so far.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Even Professionals restorers can't guarantee there won't be some damage in the cleaning process.
Keeping it out of direct sunlight, indoors & dry [in a display cabinet is better].

M
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
M
I would not do anything besides wash it with soap and water. Put a light coat of oil and do as Dick said keep it out of the sun light. DO NOT RESTORE IT OR CLEAR COAT IT. Dan

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
You cannot damage it or effect its value if you just leave it alone, as it is right now its perfect, just put it in a case and look at it till the time comes to auction it.If you oil it, you have the problem of getting the oil off it in the future.

"Remember, history that is forgotten is doomed to repeat itself!"
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
In my opinion (and opinions vary) professionally restoring the can would severely decrease its value. I would rather buy a piece that I know is in good condition (like yours) than one that has been restored, cleaned, rubbed, fondled, or otherwise messed with. The can is in spectacular condition compared to most other '20s flat cans I've seen.

Wes

O
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
O
This can does'nt need restored it just needs to be admired. don't do anything to it.

O
OP Offline
O
I have a couple questions about condition ratings. Where does one find a rating scale for this type of collectible? I see ratings on other cans of 5.5, 7.5, 9, etc. My research for a chart of explanation has resulted in zilch so far. Any help would be good. Thanks.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
DON'T MESS WITH IT, JUST LEAVE IT ALONE.

That's a nice can as many on here have said. I wouldn't touch it with soap and water either. Just leave it.

As far as condition, it's rare and nice, so collectors or anyone that may be interested in buying isn't really going to care about its "rating", either seeing it in person or looking at pictures will tell them all they need to know.

Nice can, enjoy it.

Always looking for Ithaca Gun and Lucky Sam soda items!!!

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
# rating anything is in the eye of the owner/buyer.
An 8 or 9 rating to some might only be a 6 or 7 to others.
Even at the end of the assembly line, Very few items could be rated a 10 [minute scratches, minor dents, speck of dust in printing, all production flaws].

O
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
O
Dick is exactly right. there is no set scale as to rating a can- sign- globe or anything else, it all one's opinion. Please take heed to the advice given on this can. I'd like to call it a nice survivor'''''''''''''''Ron

O
OP Offline
O
Thanks guys for the clarification on the ratings scale. I was thinking there may have been something along the lines of condition ratings about the same way as numismatic grading.

I
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I
Nice find!!! You can send it to me for $1200 and you won't have to worry about cleaning it!!! $4600 - - I don't think so. I just love auctions!! PS - don't touch it!!

M
M
I have this Indian oil can in unbelievably fine condition with 0 rust.The Havoline writing on the cap is perfect. The only thing keeping it from being mint is a very small dent that I'm sure would right itself if I applied some air into the can which of course I won't do. I've had this can for forty something years along side my Harley and Indian quart cans. I think I would like to sell it now but don't know where to begin. Can anyone please steer me in the correct direction? Thanks in advance for any help.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Ebay, with GOOD PICTURES [show all sides & do not make it private, ebay will take care of that @ a certain point], let it run the full coarse.

B
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
B
Let's see some photos, can you email them to me and I'll post them here for you. Just hit the little envelope above this post here, and that will set you up with an email to me.

Welcome to OLDGAS.

Doug

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Pictures are on 1st page !

B
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
B
Back up a page Dick, and put those NEW glasses on.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
OH ! Different can, SORRY

M
M
I've owned one of these 1920's 1 Gallon Indian oil cans in fine condition for many years. It would be a perfect 100 points except for a small dent that would right itself with a little air applied to the inside.It has no rust whatsoever.I would be shocked to see a nicer example. Now a rainy day has come and it's time to sell some of my vintage Harley/Indian memorabilia.My question for you pro can collectors is where do I find the right collector that'll pay what this can is worth. I've sold some Indian and Harley quarts on ebay with success but I don't think that's the way to go with this beauty.Can anyone please steer me towards the right collector? Many thanks in advance for your help.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
show some pics.if the can is what you say there are plenty of people here who may be interested.

Looking for gas,oil related clocks,especially neon and spinners .clock repair available. Mick
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Send me pics. and price.
russj@macatawa.org

WTB. Arizona quarts,Indian signs/cans, Musgo/Shell/Speedway 79,graphic signs/cans,#616-886-4917...
B
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
B
TAKE A DOZEN OFFERS, THEN DECIDE !!!

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I think ebay is your best bet, you will get all the known can and motorcycle collectors, plus the private collectors that no one knows about. You will get your best price and the can WILL sell for what it is worth or more, Like Dick Bennett said, Good pictures and a good description it will sell itself, Rick

------------------
VISIT 15th MASS GAS BASH
September 7th 2008

M
M
Okay, I've taken 6 pics but I am clueless as to how to download them to this thread.I can make a 20's Harley work but computers, forget about it.lol
Is there someone I can email and attach them to who can get them on?

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
anyone of the previous guys can do it, Rick

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Just like riding a bike, can't do it if ya don't try. http://www.oldgas.com/shoptalk/ubb/Forum11/HTML/000001.html

At bottom of this page it says HOP TO: Testing area

I'm on Dial-up, would take most of the night to receive & post ! LOL

[This message has been edited by Dick Bennett (edited 02-17-2008).]

M
M
thanks rick and dick, I think I sent the pics to two members. I'm hoping one of them puts the on.

B
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
B
I have them, give my wife a couple minutes, you guys are in for a treat.

Doug

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I got them also. Doug will let you put them on. if you want a auction company Dan Matthews of Matthews Auctions
is your best bet.
Russ

WTB. Arizona quarts,Indian signs/cans, Musgo/Shell/Speedway 79,graphic signs/cans,#616-886-4917...
B
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
B
Here you go !!!

M
M
thanks Doug

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Nice can.

Always looking for Ithaca Gun and Lucky Sam soda items!!!

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
OK Doug, Now post the HAVOLINE CAN !

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Your right, It looks near mint, Whatever you decide, make sure you let us know the final price, see if the earlier guesses were close, Rick

------------------
Visit 15th Annual MASS GAS BASH
September 7th 2008

B
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
B
Which one you want to see Dick, sent you an email... It says it all !

Don't you have some cans to lid or something ?

M
M
In 45 years of owning this and other Indian cans I've never seen another one of these other than three times in auction pictures,none in very good shape.
I don't have the Warmans book that had one of these cans in it. I'd like to know how mine stands up against that one.Can anyone with the book tell me? thanks.

O
O
Greetings All,

Its been a couple years since I posted and the time has now come where my friend with this 1 Gal Indian Oil Can has decided to sell. It should be appearing in the Iowa Gas Auction catalog later this month. I believe the auction is on 6 AUGUST. Neither of us are serious petrolania collectors and several emails I recieved a couple years ago from this forum expressed an interest in wanting to purchase the can. My friend left the can in "as found" condition with the exception of some dirt being slightly cleaned off the pour cap before he realized he had a great find. I just wanted to provide an update so those who inquired wouldn't want to miss a chance at purchasing. Thanks to all who offered advice as it was well heeded in not touching the can for any restoration. If anyone is interested I can send or post some newer pictures.

O
O

Roy Reed Collection Petroliana Auction - Friday July 23, Saturday July 24, & Sunday July 25, 2004 12 Noon on Friday & 9 AM Sat. & Sun Central Daylight Savings Time

560 Indian Oil Valvoline Oil Company one-gallon flat tin can, both sides rated 9, has light wear 5,280.00

It would be nice to get half that. Any thoughts??

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
That was 6 years ago. Can prices have declined drastically since then. Maybe they will come back someday, maybe not. I would be surprised if they ever reach that same level again.

Dennis Leith / Always looking for unusual Gilmore Oil Company items and Automobilia Displays
O
O
Could be an interesting auction in Iowa.

Bid Accepted!
High Bid: $1,000.00
By: rats84

Placing your bid. please wait... Lot # 183

Indian Motorcycle Oil by Valvoline Oil Company one gallon flat metal can, with great graphic,
display rated 8.25 has minor wear and scratches, reverse rated 7.5 more wear, has the original lid

O
O

Bid Accepted!
SOLD: $1,800.00Lot # 183

Indian Motorcycle Oil by Valvoline Oil Company one gallon flat metal can, with great graphic,
display rated 8.25 has minor wear and scratches, reverse rated 7.5 more wear, has the original lid

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved