Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#334312 Mon Jun 18 2012 11:28 AM
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
This is my story of the one that should have been saved.

I was going through some old pictures I had and found this one of a pump and globe I tried to buy for years. When I first looked at it in the late 80's the globe was perfect, next time I went by the kids has shot out one side of the globe, By the mid 90's both the globe and pump cylinder were shot out and nothing but fragments of each were left, by the earlt 2000's the pump had fallen over and was rusting away - I thought I would swing by the site this summer and see what's left - if anything

rainbow.jpg
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
42packard #334317 Mon Jun 18 2012 11:53 AM
C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
Isn't that just the way it goes. Nobody wants to sell though and when they do, they will call you. Yea Right.

Craig
D
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
D
Boy..that uplifting story really made my day.... frown
Quite a sad story 42packard. Too bad to see such a rare globe ruined over the course of thirty or so years. I can't believe it wasn't ever stolen to be honest with you. It looks like it was kind of hidden in the buildings, but I'm sure people other than you knew about it as well, and got the same story you always did.
Did you ever tell the guy what the globe was worth or did you tell him after it was destroyed? Just curious.....
Sad, sad......
Darin

Darin Sheffer
Always looking for Mobil and Marathon items I don't already have!
DWSheffer #334340 Mon Jun 18 2012 01:21 PM
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
It was well hidden off the road, he was friends with a relative of mine. The owner knew what it was worth - I showed him books, made what I thought were fair offers and I told him to name his price - I tried everything. He just liked looking at it and had no desire to sell it or any of the other things he had.

Jerry

42packard #334342 Mon Jun 18 2012 01:29 PM
D
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
D
Wow...wonder if he is still alive? At least he could have taken the globe inside and enjoyed looking at it. Wonder how he likes looking a pile of colorful glass shards now?
Darin

Darin Sheffer
Always looking for Mobil and Marathon items I don't already have!
DWSheffer #334345 Mon Jun 18 2012 01:36 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Packard , I got to thinkin , yeah, dangerous . You need to get hold of Nicole here an have her do a water color portrait of that photograph and sell them, mabye give one to yer friend in Washington . Ed Shaver

see ya on the road folks !

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved