Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
P
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
P
I am not that smart, but if I don't like something I will not read it, wow its that simple.

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I read the value forum everyday. There is no doubt that, there are some people that continually post about every item they buy. It's almost like they suffer some sort of self esteem issue or something else in that they need to seek everyone's approval or a make me feel good pat on the back, by being told that they got a good deal. Not to mention a week or two later the item's for sale.

Do I lose sleep over it? Absolutely not! I have a choice.... and I simply don't read their posts or comment on them.

I don't think it would be a wise solution to get rid of the values forum. You would be punishing the majority for the actions of a few. That in my opinion would be a greater injustice. As I believe that there are bona fide user's of the forum and I always enjoy answering their inquiries.

I collect a lot of different items and I never worry about values. I buy items for the pleasure and the privilege of ownership. If someone has something that I like. I'm going home with it and if I paid to much....I really don't care. You can't put a value on the peace of mind, pleasure and comfort I get from collecting and meeting like minded individuals.

I think we need to enjoy our collections more and worry less about what others are posting. Nothing wrong, with ignoring a post or two and let's not lose sight of the fact that we all share a common interest...petroliana and that includes the values forum grin .

Last edited by Dave's Garage; Thu Jun 21 2012 05:19 PM.

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
TBA Feature Host
OP Offline
TBA Feature Host
Well said Dave, after reading above posts i believe the main reason is abuse of the forum. It does have its place as long as it is used in the correct manner.

The most valuable commodity I know of is information-Wall Street
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I agree with db 100% too! And I also agree with him on the value part of his answer! grin

Looking for gas,oil related clocks,especially neon and spinners .clock repair available. Mick
S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
I think it should be what is THE HISTORY of this item not value. Isnt that what its all about? Preserving the past. Finding out what era,who used it, why ect ect. Not how much you can make selling it to somebody. nobody can put a value on it but you, what it means to you.

T
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
T
Very Good Point, As a seller and collector we get caught up on what can we make.

B
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
B
I don't go on there so I don't have any problems with it.
Just sayin...

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Being one of the moderators for the values section, I am a little biased as I like the Values forum. For me it is not about ego to see if I got a good deal. For me, it is about trying to pay a fair price. I try to follow auctions, ebay, Oldgas to learn about fair prices, etc. But there is soooo much to learn. Jack's and other books are a god-send, but a guideline as there are few absolutes in this hobby/business. I truely appreciate the knowledge here and all of the help...even from the crabby ones..LOL.

Alex
Looking for Texaco and Power Gasoline items
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I have a problem with the value forum, only because I don't understand what most are asking for....

I know some of the COLLECTORS who ask for values.... And most of these members are asking for just that... the actual value of the item in question....

Too often, I see other members asking for a value and based on that same item being placed immediately For Sale either here, on Craigslist and/or Ebay for amounts above the values given...

They have been looking for "Retail Pricing".....

Unfortunately, quite a few of the members who throw out numbers here, have the same "problem" with knowing the difference. A couple who have little to NO knowledge come to mind...

One is a "want to be Picker" and the other is a Merchant..... These two and some others, have a perfect right to throw out numbers.... I just wished that there had to be a "tag line" attached to each one of their comments. Warning those new to the hobby, that they don't have any idea what they are talking about......

I don't mind sharing what knowledge I may or may not have acquired. The problem is what numbers do I give? Retail or actual values?

There lies my problem..........

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: Bob Richards
I have a problem with the value forum, only because I don't understand what most are asking for....

I know some of the COLLECTORS who ask for values.... And most of these members are asking for just that... the actual value of the item in question....

Too often, I see other members asking for a value and based on that same item being placed immediately For Sale either here, on Craigslist and/or Ebay for amounts above the values given...

Unfortunately, quite a few of the members who throw out numbers here, have the same "problem" with knowing the difference. A couple who have little to NO knowledge come to mind...

One is a "want to be Picker" and the other is a Merchant..... These two and some others, have a perfect right to throw out numbers.... I just wished that there had to be a "tag line" attached to each one of their comments. Warning those new to the hobby, that they don't have any idea what they are talking about......

I don't mind sharing what knowledge I may or may not have acquired. The problem is what numbers do I give? Retail or actual values?

Bob, I know who needs to be moderator of the Value forum ---------- YOU!!!!!!!!!!!

Finially somone with some common sense and makes an intellegent post an makes muh day brighter too!!!!!

YOU DA MAN ........ Ed Shaver

see ya on the road folks !
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: eshaver
Originally Posted By: Bob Richards

Bob, I know who needs to be moderator of the Value forum ---------- YOU!!!!!!!!!!!

Finially somone with some common sense and makes an intellegent post an makes muh day brighter too!!!!!

YOU DA MAN ........ Ed Shaver

Ouch.....that hurt..LOL I will give up the moderator role....

Last edited by Alex; Fri Jun 22 2012 04:09 PM.

Alex
Looking for Texaco and Power Gasoline items
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
NO ONE in THEIR right mind, would offer the position of Moderator to me.... I am Politically Incorrect most of the time and I take great pride in that fact...

I for one, think that Alex does a very fine job as Moderator... Alex and I have have more than a couple of chats about the Forum... Too many times, I believe members take advantage of the Forum's and the Moderators by "throwing in" non petro items along with a petro item...

I get frustrated quite easily and voice those frustrations....

The moderators that Jim has found, have terribly difficult jobs... They have to "walk a tightrope" everyday, a "tightrope" I would never attempt to walk....

A moderator has to be polite, professional and put up with a lot of flack at times.... Anyone who has been on this site more than a year or so.... Know that I excel at using 4 letter words to drive a point home. And I am not shy about "driving a point home".....

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Bob as a mod!
. LOL!

Looking for gas,oil related clocks,especially neon and spinners .clock repair available. Mick
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
A moderator has to be polite, professional and put up with a lot of flack at times.... Anyone who has been on this site more than a year or so.... Know that I excel at using 4 letter words to drive a point home. And I am not shy about "driving a point home".....

Bob, jus so happens I am a Moderator , for another forum of course . I mean no disrespect to Alex. Hey Axex, I think you've done fine , you jus need Bob's "Expertise "!

I just call the shots the way I see them . Here , where I live , I have my detractors and my friends . I tell people "I am who I are , no mo , no less " . Ed Shaver

Last edited by eshaver; Fri Jun 22 2012 02:45 PM. Reason: grammar

see ya on the road folks !
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I have the same issues outlined in previous posts regarding the value forum; also as suggested I just don't look at it anymore.

I belong to an Old Car forum similar to this and how they handle these types of questions / inquiries is that there is a list posted of members who are "experts" in a certain area for example 1963 through 1967 Corvettes, Radios, 1934 1935 Standards, etc... These members have offered to be listed as the "expert" and field questions through PM's and e-mails. Could this work in the value forum concept???? Don't know......I think it would weed out the “flippers” and the “I hope I didn’t pay too much for this after the fact people”.

Just a thought……

Buying: Polarine / Red Crown Gasoline Globes and Signs, Early Chevrolet & United Motors Signs, and 1910's through 1940's Gas & Oil Signs.
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved