Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#331292 Wed Jun 06 2012 05:30 PM
G
OP Offline
G

Can someone please provide proof or hard evidence that the single sided "T-53" flat back Mobil Pegasus signs are or are not reproductions...

How would you tell? The porcelain and steel core is very consistant with the 50's era of porcelain signs...

littleshanno has one posted on eBay right now for reference(he has sold one after another of these)...

I purchased mine from Mike in Rockwall TX off eBay.

I would like it if someone could provide verifiable proof that the sign is or is not real...

gr8signfinds #331298 Wed Jun 06 2012 05:55 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
This sounds more like you are looking for someone to help make you feel better about your purchase! Well, I have news for you--The only people that are going to help you with that are the crooks selling this garbage!
This subject has been discussed to death and the main points are:
Look thru any history of Mobil advertising--Its all in there if you look long enough! Not one of these signs is ever mentioned.
Look at the back of the sign--How was it to be used or displayed? Theres no method to attach it to anything!
In all of the millions of photos of Mobil memorabilia and pictures of this stuff in use, there is not one picture of this sign available!
Think to yourself--if littleshanno has so many "perfect" ones for sale, how come they never show up in any of the archives or old photos?
I believe your question is easily answered if you stop to think but there are enough of you out there that don't want the truth, that you'll keep on buying this garbage anyway!
Hey, if you change your mind and decide it really is phony, you can always put it on ebay and call it "vintage".
Just don't bring it to any major gas & oil swap meet unless you want people snickering and pointing at you! Hope this helps!

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
K W FRITH #331303 Wed Jun 06 2012 06:28 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
You paid too much for it, if it wasnt free

see me at Mason Dixon Gas, Spring Carlisle M114-115, and Hershey C4E-35.
THERMOMAN #331343 Wed Jun 06 2012 08:50 PM
M
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
M
gr8signfinds,
I saw where you sold & bought your T-53 on ebay while I was researching your question.
Notice all the T-53's look the same? Notice the shanno seller you mentioned has sold a few of these?
Notice there is never verification/guaruntee of originality in these descriptions and not just this seller?
Porcelain signs are being made to this day, look at authorized reproductions. Looks like you have several original porcelain signs-any of them look like the front or the back of your T-53 you had? Notice all of them for sale are in exceptional shape, WITHOUT fail?
Until one comes along with a traceable history, I would stay way clear of these flat versions.

marxmobilgas #331461 Thu Jun 07 2012 12:03 PM
G
OP Offline
G
Thank you all for your input. Mike in Rockwall screwed me out of $1500 on this. I did re-sell it at a loss but the buyer opened a buyer protection case against me and it appears to be coming back to me again. I have accepted the fact that I'm out $1500 here and there is nothing I can do but sell it as "vintage" like someone suggested above. That or I could file a small claims case against Mike.

I am sick of this sign and am going to use of for target practice if I can't get my money back out of it.

I buy, collect, re-sell, etc. I have been in the hobby for a couple of years selling exclusively through ebay. I have never run into one item that has caused so much headache and judgement.

Thanks for all your input, I was just hoping to find something in writing from some kind of gas/oil collectibles magazine, a article, anything that has been verified.

littleshanno must import these from another country and them sell through them on ebay for a sick profit. I pitty the fool!

gr8signfinds #333104 Wed Jun 13 2012 10:47 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
it doesnt look like you have used it for target practice yet?? people like you are the petro hobby's biggest problem!! knowingly trying to steal money from unsuspecting buyers by passing off junk repooped signs as a "texlite" manufactured sign. if you feel that mike in rockwell was misleading when selling it to you, then man up and go get your money back! otherwise advertise and sell it accordingly or hang it up on the outside of your garage and let it rot away. im guessing you will do niether, because i get the feeling the $$$ part of the hobby triumphs over everything else

http://www.ebay.com/itm/STUNNING-VINTAGE...=item3377700483

Last edited by thermoman; Wed Jun 13 2012 10:48 AM.

THERMOMAN #333124 Wed Jun 13 2012 12:15 PM
A
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
A
I have to agree with the above statement !!
We all make mistakes. I made on 3 weeks ago for 1k. I listed it for lots less and described it as what it is. You should do the same. Not cool!

always lookin #333133 Wed Jun 13 2012 12:59 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
gr8signfinds---Yes!--I'm very disappointed after all the conversations I have had with you about phony signs! You seemed to come off as someone that wanted to learn and do the right thing! Your ebay ad certainly leads one to believe otherwise!
In the sign collector world--HONESTY is paramount!
When you lose your reputation as an honest person, you might as well hang it up because people will steer clear of you. Even on the good stuff!

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
K W FRITH #333141 Wed Jun 13 2012 01:56 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Imagine a world where you couldnt sell the holy grail for dixie cup price! You are heading there. At least in person. You will be forced to hide behind the computer screen for a long sentence

Last edited by thermoman; Wed Jun 13 2012 01:58 PM.

THERMOMAN #333279 Thu Jun 14 2012 05:24 AM
D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
Wow, can't believe that this joker has done this....bad business practice on several levels here. frown AMAZING! STUNNING! My *****, plain rip off at this point after being armed with the knowledge that was provided here. I don't normally get upset and post like this but this is just a robbery in progress.
PLEASE! ONLY SERIOUS BUYERS WHO ARE DUMBER THAN I AM NEEDED TO COMPLETE THIS SALE, CAUSE YOU ARE GETTING RIPPED OFF LIKE I DID AND YOU WON'T BE GETTING YOUR MONEY BACK..... I could keep on going here but I'll stop for now.
Darin

Last edited by DWSheffer; Thu Jun 14 2012 05:27 AM.

Darin Sheffer
Always looking for Mobil and Marathon items I don't already have!
DWSheffer #333299 Thu Jun 14 2012 06:49 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
There was a furniture comercial that ran once in the Dallas Texas markets . I wish I could remember the Dallas Cowboy football player who was doing it cause he to me WAZZZZZZZ da Truff!!!!!! In it , his tag line was "If I can feel it , I can deal it ". Same with me , If I can feel it , I Might buy it . Anymore, I'm scared to buy on line for anything and from anyone . Thats jus my take .......... Ed Shaver

see ya on the road folks !
eshaver #333784 Sat Jun 16 2012 03:14 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Why is he still a member on this site?

People that purposely and knowingly engage in activities that bring discredit to this hobby and prey on persons engaged in this hobby should not be allowed to be members of this site.

His self serving e-Bay listing shows an absolute disregard for others, lack of ethics, integrity, morals and self respect.

His actions are not in line with the spirit and intent of this site or the trust that we place in each other. Quite frankly, I'm appalled and bothered by his blatant attempt to knowingly sell a fake as a real sign. I'll be the first to call for his removal!

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
Dave's Garage #333790 Sat Jun 16 2012 04:37 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Dave

You have a way with words. I always enjoy reading what you have to say.

THERMOMAN #333794 Sat Jun 16 2012 05:25 AM
D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
I'll second that Dave.
The thing I surmise though is that this person signed up as a member specifically to post his query on the sign and will probably never be heard from again. Like other people who got ripped off on this sign and later found out, he came here for the solace that we were not going to provide, and to question yet again why the Old Gas collecting community KNOWS this sign is a fake. We have beat it into the ground discussing why, almost on a monthly basis, when yet another buyer gets burned on this sign, why we know it's not an original piece and our reasoning for knowing so.
I agree with you totally though Dave on removal of "members" who pull something like this. It's just a bad deal any way you look at it.
Darin

Last edited by DWSheffer; Sat Jun 16 2012 05:41 AM.

Darin Sheffer
Always looking for Mobil and Marathon items I don't already have!
DWSheffer #333879 Sat Jun 16 2012 04:21 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
That person was last online here Thursday...

Last edited by Nicole; Sat Jun 16 2012 04:21 PM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Classic Car Project auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved