Next Thread
Print Thread
#33722 Thu Dec 22 2005 04:32 PM
C
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
C
After reading the last post on cleaning rust stains, I thought I would tackle this sign. I'm sure not having any luck with. I've used naval jelly, barkeepers friend, toilet bowl cleaners. The second picture is where I had a little success, but the porcelain is not smooth. It may be hard to see in the picture, you can only tell it from an angle. Any other ideas? This one is tough!

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
R
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
R
This sign has had rust streaking down it for a long time. When it gets that heavy it gets etched into the porcelain and is impossible to get it all off /out. 3-m rubbing compound the tan liquid type and go at each spot individually by hand. Give it a try.

------------------
ROD [Mich.]

ROD [Mich.]
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
THAT SIGN IS SO ROUGH THAT USING C.L.R. WOULD BE A GREAT FIX IF YOU DON'T MIND THAT DULL SPOTS AFTERWARDS. HECK, THAT WOULD BE A GOOD CANDIDATE FOR SOME MARINE SPAR CLEARCOAT AFTER YOU TOUCH IT UP...THAT IS THE PLAN RIGHT?

DOC @ TAG.WEST

DOC @ THE AMERICAN GARAGE
C
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
C
Thanks for the info Rod. I am going to try the compound. Maybe that will get it off.

C
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
C
Doc, if the compound does not work I may try the CLR. The picture shows the worst part, it's not that bad all over. It's a big sign, I think it will show pretty well when the streaks are gone.
What do you mean by touch it up? Paint over the rust spots? Keep in mind I'm still new at this game...

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
muratic acid

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved