Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
F
OP Offline
F
I knew it wouldn't be long before you weighed in Rarin, as I have seen your great posts regarding Frontier and it's petroliana. I can't thank you enough for the pics and wide range of info in the article about my station, as well as your additional comments. And now the task do securing some of these items... I will separately contact you about getting together. All the best.

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
F
OP Offline
F
Dave's Garage - talking small world, I grew up less than an hour west of you in south Surrey...

F
OP Offline
F
Rarin - I say 1964 because that is the "Year Built" that Denver county records quotes.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I have it listed in 1962 on the list of all Frontier stations in CO. It is just listed as a Denver Service station on 1101 Syracuse. Not sure about the exact date as I'm missing the cover, but it does talk about promotions to J. Olvey on March 15, 1962. This is a quote from the January 1963 Magazine. During Frontier's last fiscal year, starting June 1, 1961 and endingMay 31, 1962, the company built twelve new stations and completely rebuilt two existing stations. Fourteen existing stations were leasted and eight existing stations were purchased, making a total acquisition during the fiscal year of thirty-six properties. Beginning June 1,1962 and to date, Frontier has built -- After that my magazine is missing the rest. Maybe Rarin-to-go can help from there. Mitch

F
OP Offline
F
Watched Wild Hogs again to see the Frontier station in reference. Expected it to be the one that burned down, but it was at the end in Madrid, New Mexico. As I have been to Madrid since the movie was filmed, it is clearly a movie set creation that didn't exist before the movie and is no longer there. Nice to see all the same. Thanks.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Hi Frontier,

You are correct in saying that the Frontier in Madrid,NM was a movie set creation.They copied the real keyhole sign that Johnnie has put up at his place in Embudo,NM and made a painted replica for the movie.

F
OP Offline
F
Guys, my old Frontier station is nearing completion as a garage again, but I had a curiosity question for you. Was it common for guys to put coins around the rubber piston lift seal to perhaps commemorate its year of retirement and concreting over? I found the old seal with a number of bent coins embedded in it during the reno.

L
L
I think the earliest Frontier porcelain signs were the Golden Cowboy signs but they are extremely rare. I only know of 7 of them, but sure there are a few more out there. We have one at the Lakeside Museum, Jeff Wandler has 2 at his Museum in Gillette WY, Bobby Knudsen has the nicest one I know of in ID.
I just bought a GS1000 porcelain sign in.NE to go with our Frontier stuff. I just became aware that GS1000 was associated with Frontier. I don’t have any info on the sign. I I’d send a pix but have no idea how to use the unfriendly format as I’m old and not tech savvy.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved