Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
D
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
D
With a shadow of a doubt now suggested, I am not sure of the authenticity but do you think the repro guys would have put the attachment "brackets" on the back?
The way it is rusted on these, as well as on the front perimeter edges sure looks vintage....but some of the less reputabe characters go to lengths to make them look old.

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
I dont think they'd go as far as to put the brackets, I may be wrong though.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: TheRoyalCrown
I dont think they'd go as far as to put the brackets, I may be wrong though.

I don't think so either but anymore nothing would suprise me.. cool

RANDY
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
In my opinion, it's an original.

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
OK Used Cars,

I took a few pictures of my Keyholes (one is a 46' and the keyhole blank is a 40').

You have already mentioned some of the reasons why I too felt that this sign could be reproduction. A couple more issues about that sign that concerned me are:

How irregular the Texaco letter are (the TCO are longer than the EXA).

The Veribrite stamp has been used on Texaco reproductions before (there have been a few double banjo, white T, no smoking signs with that stamp on it). Very FEW Texaco signs after WWII had an ink stamp on them (I haven't seen any, but I'm leaving open the possibility). Of course with the exception of the Canadian made P&M signs.

After WWII Texaco switch to a three digit sign code (##-#-##) , this is stamped with a two.

I'm not trying to beat up your sign, and I could be wrong (I'm just like everyone else on this forum, a student of collecting). In my opinion, these are the type of signs that will destroy our hobby!

Randy,

I too believe there was about a ten year phase out, but in my opinion Texaco was quick to change their signs (they were slower to change their can designs, especially their Marine cans, and handy oilers).

Last edited by J.E.Radebaugh; Sat Jul 07 2012 09:52 PM.

S
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
S
one other thing I've noticed concerning this subject, and that is this. I've seen a few pieces where the black outline did not envelop the bottom of the "T". Where the black lines just ran out into the body of the image. This is an obvious repro but it shows what I'm talking about. It may be one way to spot a repro.

black t 3.jpg

Steve Coppens
Always interested in Sunoco items!
Really want a Sunoco National pump ad glass!!
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
SC62,

I wish it would be that easy. Here are a few pictures to show you that there's a little more to it.

One is a 15" lubester sign, the other is a 8" lubester sign. Both of these signs are dated 1930.

Remember, Texaco signs weren't made by Texaco. However, the cans were. Notice the difference at the bottom of the T.

D
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
D
NO offense on any critique of the sign. I appreciate the various points of view. There's a lot of new junk in the hobby and we all need to help one another to discern the difference. If it's not vintage....and there are numerous descrepancies to make me wonder.....then I am not interested in owning it. BTW...that's a keen eye to notice the differrence in letter size. I thought I was pretty detailed in my scrutinization but missed that.
Stay Kool Daddyo!

D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
Just to delve in a bit deeper on the Veribrite stamp, did they EVER mark AND date stamp any signs, similar to what is being shown here? I know they used a "rubber" type stamp on the front of older signs, but I've only seen the company name done that way, never a date code. But, like the lubester signs illustrate,
some signs were rubber date coded, but are those known to be made by Veribrite company? I hope my query is making sense!
The brackets make the sign more believable, but I don't like the overall look of the sign in question personally. I would hate to think they are perfecting brackets for signs, as this would be an added problem for Mobil collectors with Pegasus signs and some other Mobil signs. I have seen some truck signs that I think are suspect on Ebay, and they had brackets.
Darin

Darin Sheffer
Always looking for Mobil and Marathon items I don't already have!
D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
The 1946 keyhole is original IMO.

I have a pair of keyholes that were found at an old bulk plant, stamped veribrite 1946 on the back. However, mine do NOT have the tabs (split back grommets instead) and they are consignee plates with a different name. Same design etc.

I believe Veribrite filled a few orders for Texaco in 1946 only.

Last edited by DCpate; Sun Jul 08 2012 08:55 AM.

There's no stopping the Cretins from hopping
You've got to keep it beating for the hopping Cretins
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
notice some black T's have black at the base of the T & some don't- different sign makers?

RANDY
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
It could be different sign makers. Another difference I spotted one time in Texaco signs are the Fire Chief pump plates. Some have a red hyphen between the words Fire and Chief and some don't. I have not see any evidence that relates to any particular year either.

Alex
Looking for Texaco and Power Gasoline items
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Alex,

I think Texaco stopped hyphenating Fire Chief around 52/53.

W
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
W
I have a Keyhole sign as discussed without the black outline all the way around the circular part. Mine doesn't have any tabs on back, just mounting holes with grommets. It says M.M. Atkinson Consignee. Don't have it here so can't confirm any markings on back, but the T is black outlined.

Bill Fortune
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Thanks, Jamie. I have wondered about that for some time. Wonder why they switched???

Alex
Looking for Texaco and Power Gasoline items
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved