Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#339975 Sun Jul 08 2012 06:14 PM
F
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
F
I wanted a Veeder-Root computer to restore and display,so I won the model 56 off Ebay.I started the process by cleaning it with Easy Off oven cleaner,following directions on the can.I let is set and took a tooth brush to the heavy grease spots.After I made sure that I did not miss any spots,I sprayed it down with a garden hose.I made sure the oven cleaner was rinsed off and used my air hose to dry it.The next step was to soak it down with aluminum wheel cleaner,left it on for about 45 seconds and rinsed it again.This step removed any rust and corrosion and rinsed and dried it again.Then I coated with WD-40.More to come.

Picture 454.jpg Picture 456.jpg Picture 455.jpg
Last edited by foxlincoln; Sun Jul 08 2012 07:51 PM. Reason: content
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
F
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
F
Once I had it spotless,Make sure to reset the wheels to zero and take pictures of the location of the 3 plastic wheels on top of the price wheels.Take plenty pictures for reassembly.I removed the white pointers.Next I took A torx socket and removed the reset arm so I could remove the shaft the price wheels rode on.The shaft is free moving,I pushed it out with long screwdriver.The shaft being replaced with the screwdriver.Slowly remove the screwdriver holding the wheels in place and remove the wheels as an assembly,there should be 3 washers 2 on the left and a smaller on on the right

Picture 512.jpg
Last edited by foxlincoln; Sun Jul 08 2012 07:53 PM. Reason: content
F
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
F
I took the plastic gears of the gears the wheels and used paint stripper to clean off the old paint.I next used ooo steel wool and lacquer thinner clean the wheels.I next used 3 inch thin PVC pipe cut to make paint mask about 2 and 3 inches long.I cut each piece so I could vary to the diameter.There are 2 sizes,1 to go inside and 1 around the small lip on the wheel.I then assembled on 5/16 threaded rod with a cap on each end.I used Rustolem etching primer on the wheels and let it dry over night

Picture 503.jpg Picture 457.jpg Picture 458.jpg Picture 461.jpg
F
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
F
The next step was to paint them black.YOU MUST USE A SPRAY GUN using acrylic enamel or urethane with a hardener.Spray cans will not be hard enough.I used Dupont Centari and baked them dry in an oven in about 2 hours.Sorry I did not get any pictures of this step.Now comes the fun part,painting the letters.The paint I used was a semi gloss WATER BASED latex enamel(as in interior house paint). I used a small artist brush and let a small amount of paint thicken.I filled the indented numbers completely and used shinny news paper adds to remove the excess paint.I did this by rolling the wheels on the news paper.Then I let them dry for about a half hour.

Picture 504.jpg Picture 505.jpg Picture 509.jpg
F
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
F
After the wheels dried I used Mr Clean Magic Eraser to clean of the excess paint and I used the shinny news print to polish the wheels.I waited a couple hours and clear coated them.I used a gloss clear enamel,because I wanted them to POP.For a more factory look use semi gloss.thats all I have done for now,I will add more as I work on it.

Picture 506.jpg Picture 507.jpg
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Looking good.

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
Nicely done!

Looking for any cans! PM me what ya got!
W
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
W
Very nice, thanks for the pics.

Lee

F
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
F
As I said here are pictures of the work I did today.Taking it apart and cleaning is very involved.If I described everything I did It would be 2 or 3 pages long.So if you want to know certain things,ask.Terry

Picture 540.jpg Picture 541.jpg Picture 545.jpg Picture 546.jpg
Last edited by foxlincoln; Sun Jul 15 2012 07:27 PM.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Looks great!!! Thanks for all the step by step info.

I have a spare set of wheels that I'm going to try that on.

Thanks
Lee

Looking for anything JENNEY OIL OR GAS
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I think we have 2 rebuilders now. That is excellent!!

Drive with Care and Buy Sinclair!! I buy Sinclair globes, signs, cans, ect.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Impressive. Nice Job.

F
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
F
Thanks for the compliments,but Joe is the master.He has done more than a thousand.I still have lot more to do.The computer looks to be a handful.When its done I am going to motorize it and make a display case for it with a small pump face on one side and open everywhere else so you can see it work.Thanks

T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
i have one like you have just mine has 3 rows--i been trying to figure how to make it turn manualey any ideas on how to unlock it thanks ruben

looking for spanish gas signs
F
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
F
send me some pictures via email foxlincoln@yahoo.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved