Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#34071 Sat Jul 23 2005 08:34 PM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Dealer price and "Joe Smoe" price are usually two different levels in most selling scenerios. If you are making a living at this you can hold out for the "top dollar" guy as you have numerous contacts and regular customers(most likely some with great wealth)in which you can rely on to get these prices.The pump or sign can sit for a long period and rest assured someone will snap it up eventually. You have a large inventory to keep you going.
Is there no wholesale or retail in Petroliana? Just a top buck price to hold out for? You guys seem to always quote the high end for someone trying to fish for a value. Why not be a little realistic and tell them what you would ACTUALLY offer!
Jim

Wanted: Wadhams - Bartles - O'neils - Items
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#34072 Sat Jul 23 2005 08:48 PM
S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
Jim...in my opinion, there is no wholesale in ORIGINAL ITEMS. Everytime you sell a Tokheim 36B or a desireable sign/globe/oil can, there is an outside chance you just sold your last one. There is no guarantee you'll get another one. There is also a definite difference between one who is selling casually & one who is selling seriously. As I stated earlier....I like to give around a grand for 36B's & sell them for around $1500. (by the way, these aren't going to millionaires, just guys who want a good, clean pump who don't want to go junkin' to find one). Sounds like a sweet deal, 50% mark-up, huh? But there's a little dirty word, we like to ignore: overhead!! A vehicle, fuel ($2.17/gal here), insurance (vehicle, worker's comp, product liability), taxes, etc, etc, etc,...more like a 25% mark-up! Okay, econ 101 is over, and I understand where people get upset at prices being quoted high, but most guys are just being realistic. We can all say one time we saw one for $50 and one time I saw one for $5000, but the reality is the average person can expect to pay what is being asked at the latest gas shows. Most people aren't going to be knowledgeable enough or just plain lucky enough to find a 36B for $250 behind a barn!

[This message has been edited by Seth Robbins (edited 07-23-2005).]

#34073 Sat Jul 23 2005 09:56 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Seth,
How many do you want WITHOUT TOPS ?
LOL
db

#34074 Sat Jul 23 2005 10:02 PM
T
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
T
Dick, did you say topless 36b's!?!? I'll take two!!!!!! LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#34075 Sat Jul 23 2005 10:47 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Tom,
It takes 2 hands to hold 1 36B, can only guess where the other is !!
db

#34076 Sun Jul 24 2005 04:13 AM
B
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
B
delete

[This message has been edited by bettin (edited 08-22-2005).]

#34077 Sun Jul 24 2005 06:10 AM
D
D
looks to me like mr royalty is asking a kings randsom for his wonderful pump. and has the nerve to whine to anyone who will listen about the price of thier pumps . I guess he is the only one that deserves top dollar for a pump. he's one of the people that he whines about. his pump is overpriced and he is part of the price problem himself. Hey MR ROYALTY welcome to the dumbass collecter club, you should be king. Whiner's suck Mike

#34078 Sun Jul 24 2005 06:45 AM
S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
hose and nozzle, extra. holy bat-s#@* batman, what do to guys expect for 5-G's, free delivery too.....

WANTED:::Barn Hangers...and other fine junk...
#34079 Sun Jul 24 2005 10:06 AM
G
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
G
You know, i was getting a little agravated reading NC's comments and reading all of these post but by now i am actually laughing out loud! Im glad that the majority of you think like i do. Spend 4 or 5 days driving around the country figure all your expenses not including time and pay the farmer $200 for his 36B. You would be in the hole to sell it for under a grand!!! Im sure that if i found a fry, sand blast it and put on a couple hundred $ worth of red paint i could probably make a fair profit! But only if i sold it for about 2 grand.......i might even throw in a hose and nozzel!

#34080 Sun Jul 24 2005 02:31 PM
S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
You would think for that price you would at least get a original capco texaco globe with it!!!!!probably another 1000.I have seen churchlands name many times on ebay,he buys nice stuff but when he sells something you better know your banker real good because your gonna pay for it.How can you make comments about other peoples prices when yours are the highest?????Your no different than anyone else on here buy low sell high and put food on the table,right?????Steve

------------------

#34081 Sun Jul 24 2005 02:33 PM
S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
I forgot to mention,I didnt see the ORIGINAL fry sign attached which would be original on this!

------------------

#34082 Sun Jul 24 2005 02:58 PM
N
N
Somebody has to stir up some mess on here !!! Reading some of y'alls posts are like watching grass grow (cut grass).......It is all true though....... Can somebody explain the Columbus auction prices to me ??? Duhhh herr DAAARR Duh HUH ?!?!?!?!? And yes, I am a graduate of the "Dumbasses Collectors Club" I hate to admit it, but I will. Same old story, paid too much for stuff when I first started to collect....... it got my rod stiff, you know the drill. But, really, it is all opinion and money. It is a man's money and he can do with it whatever he wants to. The whole thing about the books, and the "BIG BOYS", and the "Money Slingers" is that it just seems like a lot of people aren't just satisfied with the idea of just getting something cool(a nice piece), it's like "Look at what I got, and, oh, by the way, it's worth $3,000." SO what, how about it's juat a nice, pretty, old, piece and just admire it for that. Thinking about modern society, and the ways of the world today(the big money), all the new problems that face us and our country, just sterilizes the whole thing. It's just a huge distraction to the pumps and the signs...... it's so un-natural. This stuff is about a different place in time, a retreat, a pocket of "dream-state". It's bought and sold. I've done it, y'all do it, everybody that has any sense or instinct has done it at some point. Ya say "This is worth x amount", or something along those lines. It's just that way, because it is..... Human-freak-nature. But every single one of you out there has to admit - inflation and "astro-pricing" sucks !!!!! It sucks the fun out of it and it slows the pace. The pace of everything cool about the collecting....... not the money.. It does. It really does. It's like the whole energy about the cool old stuff is completely diverted into something totally different. "How much is it worth?" Not, "Wow, that is just completely beautiful!" Period, no more, end of story, just look and enjoy the beauty and let it take you somewhere.......???
I just became a registered user on here, and I hate to make enemies. I hate I may have offended or made somebody angry. But, I was just stating my views and opinion. It's good for ya!!! There are a handful of class acts that I have met along the way collecting, and I have always kinda just looked at this the way they did, grain of salt and keep it fun. Oh, by the way, you'll all be happy to know that the visible Fry is not mine, I'm selling it for a friend of a friend. I didn't really feel like telling that, because it seemed to be annoying some people. Fun , Fun !!! I didn't come up with that pricing. So I'm just passing that onto you. I'm sure some of you won't believe me, but it's true. And yes, a hose is included, I don't know if it is a cloth hose or not??? I will ask if need be.
I'm young, dumb, and full of, you know...... My desire to collect and learn more about the different aspects and people are just as fun....... If you took all the different neat, crumby, characters out of the hobby, it would be lifeless. And if we were all "Money Slingers", that wouldn't be any fun either. I apologize for writing too much opinion and not enough whatever..... I hope that we can all agree to disagree!!! I like writing sometimes. It's fun, words in a letter are powerful, even in this setting. I look forward to getting to know more of you on this oldgas - Until next time, "Don't stick your nozzle in anyone's tailpipe !!!" NC Royalty

#34083 Sun Jul 24 2005 04:06 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Guaranteed didn't start till 1916.
Their 1st visible was made in 1917. The pump pictured has a WET HOSE, [was not made till 1924]. Being you have the castiron base, my guess is ABOUT 1918-1920, [& someone did away with the DRY HOSE VALVE].

#34084 Sun Jul 24 2005 10:03 PM
N
N
Thank you Dick for the info, I will use it. I appreciate it. Sounds like you know your pumps........ Dave

#34085 Sun Jul 24 2005 10:31 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Well well well... dont check in in a couple of days because of long work hours and look what i miss. Opinions are like...er well...lets just say every one has one. I know some of you are passionate debaters but remember to play nice on the boards please. personally if I had more money I would be better standing in the "DAC" (dumb *** club) Alas..I can only do what I can. We ALL love this stuff..thats why we collect, read , debate eat and sleep it. Lets Play nice though. That being said , I paid $600.00 for my 36b..it was super straight and was only missing the top. (Thanks Dick...LOL) I bought a high quality metal repop for it from Seth..fits like a dream and looks awesome. I felt i was very lucky to find this pump for that price and most of them here in the pacific NW go from $1000 - $1300. I think they are one of the most beautiful art deco style pumps ever made and any serious pump collector should have one and if thats the case..pricing and "worth" as always comes down to supply and demand. I am on the Fatkins diet so I like extra bread..do I think a loaf of bread is worth $25.00...NO but, if that was the only bread avaible when I wanted it...I would probably pay it.....I am stupid like that...LOL. Have fun, and have a great time with this Hobby we all love.

------------------
Hubba: GAS GEEK , OIL FREAK and humble moderator

Hubba: GAS GEEK , OIL FREAK of Seattle WA
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved