Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
W
wocopep Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
W
If you beleive the guy and the rest of his listings, I got some hot property for sale cheap. 221072683243 And dont give me that "He might not know" line.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Nothing but rare originals for that guy.
Where's that property?

Love his descriptions. LMAO

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
How the heck they making all these fake signs? The tooling up would be more expensive than what they could ever make!

Last edited by Keystone Gas Man; Sun Jul 15 2012 05:24 PM.

Looking for Keystone,Pure,Sinclair,Texaco,Sterling and Gulf...Thanks, Brian
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
good story teller.. cool

RANDY
A
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
A
I own ocean front in arizona , but seller is in alabama. Maybe i could use him for my realtor.

Gene

W
wocopep Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
W
There was a time in this hobby when everyone thought those cheap little repops wouldnt hurt a thing, especially when they are marked. Well guys, the day is here when those little signs are becoming the number one problem in this hobby. The uneducated will buy this junk, find out its fake and trash the hobby. A little more time goes by and the stuff on my walls and shelves wont bring any more than scrap, which by the way is falling. This guy is down in my neck of the woods, not in Australia or India. If he's uneducated, then educate him. If it hurts his feelings,apoligize, educate him. If he continues, harass him. If we dont police this problem ourselves and come up with a way to curb it we wont have new people coming in and eventually the hobby dies. Sad thing is that the guy out to deceive for profit just moves on to something else. By the way, I havent been a member here for very long, but have been collecting gas and oil for 29 years, before it was petroliana.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I thanked him for being so "honest" to his buyers!

Is there a truckload of these things buried in salt water somewhere?

Thanks
Mike

Always Looking for any Pure Oil and Sunoco Items.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
The seller listened to my reasoning on why the sign was a repop and ended the auction telling me he was going back to the gentleman he purchased it from to find out why he sold it as old. Hopefully it doesn't show back up again as old rare and vintage!

Thanks
Mike

Always Looking for any Pure Oil and Sunoco Items.
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
So, for a new guy to the hobby, what are the indications that this sign is fake? What gives it away? Because, at first glance, it looks pretty authentic to me. Don't mean to ask a dumb question, but I just want to know.

W
wocopep Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
W
No such thing as a dumb question, if you are willing to learn and listen.
The size of the sign is the most popular size for repop pump plates. The back is suspect in the fact that it is white. Not that there arent originals with a white back. The colors are off shade from known originals. I personally have never seen an original pump plate from that company,I have only seen the larger signs and I think the wording is different. That last sentence is worth what weight you want to put in it as I certainly have not seen it all and am by no means an expert, but I have seen alot of signs and have been looking at signs for a long time. I also have as many repop catalogues as I can find and find them to be a useful tool in identifying questionable signs. All that said, I am relying on experiance to make 50% of that determination and the other 50% on studying, talking to other collectors, going to auctions and handling suspect items [along with real items],watching EBAY, READING those repop catalogues, reading every book written about the hobby that I can find and listening to the guys that have been at it longer than I have. Self education over time. Yes, I own two suspect pieces that will never go anywhere and they remind me to be vigilant. It will take some work on your part, but it is well worth it in the end. I'm sure some others will chime in about how to spot a repop and will probably be more precise. Also, dealing with people you know and trusting your gut are two very safe ways to guard yourself. Get out to shows and meet people when you can and if it sounds too good to be true it usually is. But every now and then its a great find, its just not going to happen on EBAY that often.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Repop signs, have been discussed by Collector's for over 60 years.... They unfortunately are a part of the hobby....

When the Ande Rooney Company started making their signs in 1980. Collectors asked how the Company was going to ensure that in a decade or so, people weren't going to be selling the signs as originals? (other Company's were making repops and had been for some time when The Rooney Company started making theirs... The Rooney signs were of better quality)

It seems that the question is still being asked....

There are no quick and easy answers.... Marked repop and fantasy signs are only a problem when dishonest people deface them to defraud... Unmarked signs are more of a problem....

No matter what a Manufacturer does, a dishonest person will find a way to defraud those who are not knowledgeable....

Tens of Thousands of people who have found a sign, globe, pump, can ... etc... Have never heard of Oldgas..... Our hobby is a "perfect breeding ground" for fraud.... We have no National or International Organization.... We don't even have a set of "Grading Standards" for Condition and Rarity...

The most unknowledgeable person can grade an item (and they do every minute) in this hobby... We have Members here who have given a grade to an item and gotten indignant when those who have more experience comment and give the item a grading that is more "realistic"....

Based on my experience and time in the hobby, I believe that in 10-15 years Collectors will be having the same type of discussions and will still be angry and frustrated with the answers....

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
W
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
W
I've said it before on here on this topic,not everyone that buys signs cares if the sign is old or not.. some buyers are serious collectors and some are just decorators not veryone wants to pay $5000 for a sign, some just want to add colour to their room for $100... You see it all the time at auction sales, bidders pay away to much for repro stuff ( according to us collectors),, they like and are happy to go home with a $100-$200 sign..Most of these people that buy the repro stuff will never go through all the research that someone explained on here, NEVER.. As far as the hobby goes I personally don't think it is doing much harm to the hobby for the real good stuff, great signs and globes are still bringing record prices,,JMO..
Like someone else said on here, reproductions have been around for 60 plus years in every hobby or collecting world, not going to stop , thats life,, deal with it..

Last edited by Wes Hague; Mon Jul 16 2012 04:43 AM.

Wes.......
R
R
I actually agree with Wes...

L
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
L
Thumbs up to seller for ending auction. Doesn;t mean it won't be relisted another time with wording different. Being somewhat new to hobby aged copys of orginals make it very hard to know real from not real. I agree with the amount of sellers out there trying to deceive,I don;t think this is something that will go away. What I collect I;m pretty safe. For now anyway!
I had a seller tell me the other day that a Andy Rooney sign was not new production so it was old vintage. So do Homework ask questions and win in doubt run ! Do they really have Ocean front property in Arizona ? I love the ocean compared to creek side here!

*Wanted Pierce Pennant Petroleum*
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Thank you to everyone for your advice. What I take from this is caveat emptor: Latin for "Let the buyer beware."

By the way, there is ocean front peroperty in Arizona. It's just that the ocean has been empty for a long while now.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings *

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved