Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
E
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
E

Hey guys I just clicked the BIN button after finding a brand new listing that just popped up. The price was right and I knew it wouldnt last more than 5 minutes. So I had to act and do some quick research fast. But I have some concerns, I'm a little concerned on the grommets everything looks a little too clean. It's already bought and paid for but at least if I know the truth I'll either feel better or maybe be able to do something about it! Thanks

Mainly focused on Oilzum, Jenney, Harris Oil items & original paint gas pumps.
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
It's dated. As far as I know no repops are dated, so as to avoid violating trade laws. Also, the other items he has for sale are legit, which isn't a guarantee, but a good sign

Eddy Smith
Call or Text: 678-232-4637
E-mail: eddysmithjr@gmail.com
Always looking for pump plates or small signs!
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
sign appears in xlnt cond.. cool

RANDY
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Eric, the sign looks good, the grommets threw me off until I figured out, look at the back of the sign... Brass splits and shelf marks almost identical to my '48 Fire Chief...

IMO, you did real well....

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
E
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
E
Thanks guys, I appreciate it. You all know the deal, in this hobby lately...if it seems too good to be true it usually is. But the sellers history with antiques looks good too.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Eddy for you and other new Collectors....

A number of repop and fantasy signs are dated....

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Bob I sent you a PM, and will include part of it on here.

I am sure there are a couple of repop signs out there that are dated, but your primary source of repops, Vicks66 and Gas Pump Heavan, don't date their signs as to avoid violating forgery and misrepresentation laws, because seeing as how 99.9% of their business crosses state borders, this would be a federal offense.

AS far as the fantasy signs or whatever, I'm sure, like I said, there are those that are dated, which is why, as Eric also pointed out, I reviewed the seller's history, and noticed his other signs were all very legitimate (including a Texaco plate).

as far as "new collector." 3 years doing this may not be as season as some of the other people, but doubt it would classify as "new."

Eddy Smith
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Looks like you did very well Eric!

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
E
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
E
I think all Bob is trying to point out is something I learned a long time ago...it's not the Vic's & Gas Pump heaven repops you need to worry about out there. Those are easy to tell the differences in most cases. It's the people out in a few parts of the world who are trying to make a quick buck selling VERY GOOD counterfiets. Believe me there are some out there that have even the most veteran pros scratching there heads. Thats why I am so hesitant these days no matter how good something looks. Thats why this site and it's members are such a valuable part of our hobby. If it werent for members like Bob and many others who stick there neck out to say something in these threads. Many new collectors would make far more mistakes than they do. Which in turn would just fuel this fake sign market even more than it is.

G
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
G
If you've been doing this for 3 years I would think that you would have figured out a Red Crown flange sign in near perfect condition is worth more than $750 (reference other topic Value of Red Crown Flange)

And by a couple of repop signs that are dated I hope you mean hundreds!

Sometimes it's ok to sit back and learn from others......

Sorry this was meant for Eddy, not Eric who just bought the sign, nice sign by the way.

Last edited by Globes and Signs; Fri Jul 20 2012 06:21 PM.
TBA Feature Host
TBA Feature Host
Nice buy Eric. I think its best to use your knowledge and experience to make a judegment call. There are many fake signs out there today. I have been burned two times for small dollar amounts but by having that happen it made me realize how important it is to study sign's and variations. Many people coming into this hobby expect to come on this site and get all the answers. Leg work must must must be done in todays world with all the reproduction junk out there. You must watch the market and be very familiar with it and study the newly reproduced items that are close to original. knowing what you are buying is critical. Think to yourself if there was no oldgas how would you know whats real and whats not ? This is not directed towards you buy everyone in general. On the other hand enjoy your purchase and i hope you find a place to hang it in that packed garage LOL

The most valuable commodity I know of is information-Wall Street
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Globes and Signs maybe you should read my post a bit closer on that topic and see that I based my opinion off of what I have seen sell and I have bought.

Also you'll see another person said that $1200 was about 30% too high which is pretty equivalent to my opinion as well.

Eddy Smith
G
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
G
Yeah and that other member also posted "just get it" meaning to buy the sign then posted later about it being 30% too high. By the way he was the sameone that said a single sided neon sign was worth 15k! Then when he was made aware of the sign being single sided he dropped his value to 3500-4500.....So that gives no credibility to you or him.

I'm not looking for an arguement, I just don't understand why people post if they don't know the answer. Bad information is WORSE than no information at all.

Bottom line is any Red Crown flanges you see in mint condition for 700, please buy them and I will let you double your money off me for as many as you can find.

And not to get off the original topic as there are hundreds of signs that are repops that are dated.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
So let me get this straight? I don't know the answers even though I was correct on this topic, and gave my OPINION on the value of the other sign?

I'm sorry if the prices I've seen are different than yours.

I understand there may be hundreds of repops that are dated, but in my experience I haven't encountered many that are, and none that I can think of right now.

As you would see in some of my other posts, a lot of the problem on this forum is how people choose to pick at other people's posts because they have a different experience or opinion.

Last edited by Here's Your Sign; Fri Jul 20 2012 08:58 PM.

Eddy Smith
G
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
G
How were you correct? Read your first statement!! You said NO REPOPS ARE DATED!!!!!!!!!!!! That couldn't be further from correct.

And please enlighten all of us to the magical place where you have seen near mint condition Red Crown flange signs sell for $700.

I don't know you and I'm not meaning to pick on just you. My point is to not giving an opinion just to give one, but rather give an educated opinion there's a HUGE difference. It just seems like their are so many people that just want to post on a topic and give advice when it's misguided or just plain wrong. Again this is a general statement for everyone not just you.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings *

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved