Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Students are very fortunate to have you as an instructor!

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
B
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
B
Quote:
Students are very fortunate to have you as an instructor!

Indeed

C
coopwyo Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
C
Thanks for all the nice comments guys!

We are going to get some filler on it Wednesday night and hopefully be able to "sculpt" it back into shape.

We built a special sanding block out of maple that matches the curve of the scallops in the door so hopefully we can get them all uniform and straight.

I think we will mask each scallop individually, apply filler, remove the masking tape, sand it until it is right, then move on to the next one. That is the only way I can think of to get the peaks and valleys the same all the way across the door.

Any suggestions?

Chris

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Chris, I just looked at the pump tonight. It's looking good. Sorry I'm in the Monday and Tuesday night classes. I'll come out some night and introduce myself to you guys. Mitch

C
coopwyo Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
C
Well, we are making some progress - slowly but surely. I thought I'd share these pictures for anyone trying to restore one of these pumps.

The biggest problem we've had was trying to get the "scalloped" area in the middle of the doors straight. The door had a horizontal crease about a foot up from the bottom and it really put a bunch of waves in the door. The flat parts on the outer edges of the door are easy to flatten out, but we were really fighting the scallops.

The autobody teacher at the college gave me a great suggestion that worked perfectly. We masked off every other scallop and then filled them individually. In order to fill them correctly we custom made a spreader that exaggerated the curvature of the scallop to lay in the right amount of filler. Then I built a custom sanding block that matched the curvature of the scallops exactly. I first roughed each one down with a long board and then went back in with the custom sanding block and fine tuned them.

It is a real hassle, but that is about the only way we could come up with to get those things back to perfect. Thanks for the input.
Chris

erie door 1.jpg erie door 2.jpg erie door 3.jpg erie door 4.jpg
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I once made a sanding block like the one in the 3rd pic
out of foam pipe insulation. It worked well.

Veeder Root Rebuilds.....since 1987
Veeder Root Identification CD
Gas Pump Clock Repair
jkyocom@bellsouth.net
C
coopwyo Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
C
It has taken many, many hours of summertime work, but we finally have all of the panels for our Erie 71 in primer except for one door. Everything is really straight and we shouldn't have too much trouble blocking out the primer.

The other door has most of the body work done, but it isn't quite ready for primer yet.

Hopefully the next time you see pictures of this thing it will have paint on it!

in primer.JPG
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved