Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
GasCan Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Was surfing some around today and stumbled onto this rare Red Head 5 gallon oil can. It was a ways away from Calgary but I had a couple of my techs in the area so they stopped in and picked it up for me. I love the large original cans from the 40's and 50's and will clean this one up and display it with a host of other 5 gallon cans I've started to collect. A little history on Read Head Oil of Calgary.

Red Head Oil was a product of Great West Distributors of Calgary, Alberta. The company was bought out by B/A in 1958. B/A acquired a major interest in Anglo-Canadian Oils Limited. With Anglo-Canadian, Royalite, Purity 99, and Red Head, B/A continued to market products under these names without the general public knowing that B/A owned these companies. B/A now had over 9,300 service stations and various other outlets under these 5 brand names and accounted for 25% of all the service stations in Canada. B/A was reported to be the second largest oil company in Canada, ranking behind Imperial Oil.

RH1.JPG RH2.JPG RH3.JPG
Last edited by GasCan; Mon Jul 30 2012 03:24 PM.
Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Great Find Graeme! I collect 5-Gallon cans myself. I'd like to get one of those someday (since I'm a red head myself)! wink

DOC @ THE AMERICAN GARAGE
GasCan Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Only just saw my first Red Head can on Saturday and instantly loved the graphics. On the hunt for more and have a lead on some imperial cans as well. I think I am becoming addicted. smile

J
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
J
Graeme

I still have most of these cans.

http://www.oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=31774&Number=200998#Post200998

If you find any Imperial cans maybe we can do some trading.

Looking for Canadian Imperial and Canadian North Star.
John Neilsen
GasCan Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Funny...

A guy I know with a couple nice Red Head cans said the same thing. He collects Imperial as well. Probably a friend of yours? smile

GasCan Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Thanks to a member who saw this post, I now have a few more Red Head cans added to the start of this Red Head collection. Love the 5-lb grease tin and the yellow (headless) 5-gal can especially.

Thanks again Don. You're the best!

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I don't think I've ever seen that much Red head stuff before .

Ed Shaver

see ya on the road folks !
GasCan Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
I think I just found some more with another guy possibly selling off his whole collection. Have a friend heading over there tomorrow and hoping to pickup a collection of quart cans and possibly a couple signs. I'm really liking the graphics on these and like the fact it was a local company from Calgary. smile

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Be careful GasCan, once you get a taste of the hardcore stuff you will not be able to stop! LOL. Cheers, Don.

IMG_0125a.jpg IMG_0126a.jpg
GasCan Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
OMG! Had no idea Don. Just showed these pictures to the wife and she's going oh oh! I think she knows what's coming now? And this just after telling her I just got another dozen Red Indian cans today. LOL

Very beautiful displays and cans Don.

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved