Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#346286 Sun Aug 05 2012 12:38 PM
Mike M. Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
I'm looking for replacement inserts for a M&S 80 script top pump that say Mobilgas.
I see them on e-bay 390205542872 ...but have always bought from the suppliers that advertise here.
Ron Scobie didn't know who had them and I talked to Debbie Anderson (Time passages/Scotty's Garage) at Iowa Gas and she told me she didn't have them but could get them for me. When I asked from who, she wouldn't say which caught me off guard as most suppliers I have dealt with though the years have always refered me to others when they don't have something. Anyone know who has them?

Thanks
Mike

Always Looking for any Pure Oil and Sunoco Items.
C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
We have manufactured them for about 15 years, but now Park Drive garage handles them. 1-402-592-1710.

Craig
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Ive also seen a company called Iowa Imports have them. I think that might be who sells them on ebay also.

Jason Howard
D
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
D
gas pump heaven has them

G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
Let me just say that you as a businessman....auto restoration business, would probably be offended if one of your customers' wanted to get your parts supplier's name so that he could buy directly? He might save a 5-10% commission that you would charge for the aquisition? How many times could you supply the information before you realized you were hurting yourself? This site is very effective in our hobby but, "Way Too Many" guys on this site, treat it as a Good Ol Boys' Club and think they can ask anything from anyone....and get a proper response? Most of us, in this business, have had to learn the hard way. Why would you think you could even ask a vendor, who makes his living suppling parts to the hobby, to provide you with this information? You need to think before you act next time. If this is offensive, think how Debbie must have felt? Paul www.severngaspumps.com 410-969-2899

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Well said Paul. Sometimes people have unrealistic expectations and almost a sense of entitlement. If you have the right to ask then accept the fact that...the other person has a right to not answer. Like Paul said "Why would you even ask a vendor..."

As rightfully pointed out by Paul, those vendors have invested time, money and effort to make those contacts. They pay their bills and feed their families from those contacts. You are offended because they won't share those contacts and are trying to publicly dam them for protecting themselves. Kind of extreme in my opinion.

You don't go to your local grocery store and ask where he gets his produce? Try asking your boss for the personal contact information for his clients. Every businessman has to protect their ability to make money. In doing so they are not mistreating anyone or being uncooperative. They are simply doing what is necessary to ensure their survival in these tough economic times. Do you have any idea what the internet sales have done to small businesses?

Last edited by Dave's Garage; Sun Aug 05 2012 03:52 PM.

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
Well said Paul and Dave......
entitlement is a great word to use there - seeing SO MUCH of it in every facet of life these days.

S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
Just reread the OP - and IF you were upset that Debbie didn't refer to another retailer who could help you immediately, I may view that a LITTLE differently than asking her for her wholesale supplier. If as a retailer, I didn't have something in stock (my mistake) and a valued customer needed it right now - I would consider referring them to another retailer who could help them out. Making it clear to them that I was doing this as a favor to them and asking that they please bring there business back to me the next time - and I'll do my best to have them on the shelf next time. Never would I turn them on to my wholesale supplier as Paul and Dave explained. Best case scenario is you would have said "Great Debbie, when can I expect them?". PS - gas pump parts are a pretty small world - I highly doubt these vendors "don't know who has them" - they are just nicely trying to protect themselves or not send business to a competitor.

C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
I do not know if this was directed at me but I will respond to this. I manufactured these for actually more than 15 years along with the Conoco's, Sunoco's, and Mobils. I supplied them all, gas pump heaven, scobie, slama, the guys in Florida, Time passages, vic's.
One of my suppliers took over the manufacture of the mobil's and the Sunoco's. That is why there is only a couple of places that have them now. I was only trying to help this member and in no way trying to cut off or cut out any of the other people who supply this part. NO BODY MADE THEM BEFORE WE DID EXCEPT FOR THE ORIGINAL COMPANIES IN THE FOURTIES.
Just trying to help out a member and not trying to hurt anyone.

Craig
S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
Sorry for any confusion Craig, I definitely wasn't directing towards you. I was referring more to the vendor mentioned above who said he didn't know who had them. I found that highly improbable, but possible given your explanation of limited manufacturers. Again, my dismay was directed at the OP who was upset with a retailer who wouldn't reveal his source. Thanks

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Classic Project Car auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved