Next Thread
Print Thread
#346471 Mon Aug 06 2012 07:36 AM
C
CQ2012 Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Hello from Collectors Quest!

We spoke with this forum's moderator and were graciously granted permission to post our upcoming online event here. We appreciate the hospitality, and look forward to meeting you all!

Here's the pitch:

Do you collect railroadiana, petroliana, coins & bank notes, political memorabilia, car-related memorabilia or any other American historical artifacts from 1865-1914?

If so, Collectors Quest is looking to feature your collections on our website!

We are developing a special section of our website for HISTORY’s new miniseries “The Men Who Built America” which tells the story of influential business tycoons such as Cornelius Vanderbilt, Andrew Carnegie, John D. Rockefeller, Teddy Roosevelt and Henry Ford.
We would like to showcase your collectibles for all the world to see, especially:

- railroadiana
- petroliana, especially signs or memorabilia from Standard Oil, Amoco, Chevron, Esso, Exxon, Mobil
- pre-WWI coins & bank notes
- U.S. presidential or political memorabilia related to Abraham Lincoln or Teddy Roosevelt
- early car-related artifacts, especially from the Ford Motor Company
- any other American historical artifacts from 1865 - 1914

To participate, please visit us at www.collectorsquest.com and become a member of our vibrant community of collectors. It’s simple to upload photos and descriptions of your collectibles. We’ll prominently feature the best collections as part of our coverage of this fascinating period of American history. Questions? Please email info@collectorsquest.com.

We can’t wait to see your collections on CollectorsQuest.com!

Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
CQ2012 #346485 Mon Aug 06 2012 09:17 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Without checking the books, I would guess that Exxon, esso, Chevron, Amoco didnt exist pre 1914.

see me at Mason Dixon Gas, Spring Carlisle M114-115, and Hershey C4E-35.
C
CQ2012 Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Hello, Thermoman!

It's surprising how many of these companies have been around since the 1800s. Exxon was founded in 1882, Esso in 1912 (barely making the cutoff date here), and Amoco in 1889.

Chevron, however, was 1984. We're going to have to flog our researcher on that one.

CQ2012 #346749 Tue Aug 07 2012 08:41 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
CQ2012: You folks need to do some research,

The EXXON Corporation was "Formally introduced" to the World on Jan 1, 1973 and lasted until 1999. Whereas the Corporation was renamed ExxonMobil....

Standard Oil of Ohio: Standard Oil; was founded in 1870...

Standard Oil of New Jersey: ESSO; was founded in 1889...

Standard Oil of Iowa, became Standard Oil of CA; founded in 1911... SoCal first used the name Chevron on it's products in the early 1930s... The Chevron name became the trade name of Standard Oil of CA (SoCal) later in the 1930s...

Standard Oil of Indiana: AMOCO; founded 1889

You folks might want to check out Wikipedia's History of Standard Oil webpage?:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_Oil

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
CQ2012 #346759 Tue Aug 07 2012 09:41 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: CQ2012
It's surprising how many of these companies have been around since the 1800s. Exxon was founded in 1882, Esso in 1912 (barely making the cutoff date here), and Amoco in 1889.

Chevron, however, was 1984. We're going to have to flog our researcher on that one.

If this "info" is what your "researcher" came up with... you should be doing research finding a a new researcher!

Sell me your Gilmore Oil Co. stuff...
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I found a discrepancy in my "facts"... Standard Oil acquired Pacific Coast Oil in 1900. They reorganized and named the "new Corporation"; Standard Oil of California...

I knew that... Just getting old, is my only excuse...

Standard Oil's "first Gas Station" was opened North of me in Seattle in 1907, so kind of hard for SoCal to become incorporated in 1911! Especially when one, has been operating a station a number of years before that...

I apologise for putting out obviously wrong information... Maybe I need to "get a researcher" so I will quit putting out erroneous information...

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
C
CQ2012 Offline OP
OP Offline
C
No harm, no foul. This is why we rely on the input of experts like yourselves!

We were referring to the very origins of these companies - who they are now, who they were and everything in between (no matter what they were called at the time). These are the collectibles we're interested in sharing with History. Apologies for not being complete purists. I know I'd disagree about the finer points if someone decided to hyphenate Batman.

NO ONE hyphenates Batman and gets away with it.

Last edited by CQ2012; Wed Aug 08 2012 12:06 PM.
CQ2012 #347061 Wed Aug 08 2012 12:54 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
...sounds fun! good to know the History Channel is making an effort towards historical accuracy for a change - even if it IS just on the web...

...by the way - I'm still waiting for an answer from Rick, or one of the Pawn Stars, about that Coke machine on 'Pawn Stars' that was magically 'restored', from a Vendo to a Cavalier (if you don't know much about Coke machines, it's kinda like 'restoring' a Buick into a Studebaker)...anyway, maybe you can help out with that?

...more importantly, what are you paying contributors? I mean, you clearly need content to drive viewers to your website, in order to sell advertising on your website...and we know you're not doing this for free, right?...so, what's the payoff? what do potential contributors get for providing you with content?

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
CQ,
History or Entrainment TV?

gulfiend,
Same as ya get here, a Slap on the Back & ATTA BOY, I LIKE IT [even it you wouldn't be caught Dead w/ it Buried on your property]!

Quote:
NO ONE hyphenates Batman and gets away with it.

SUPERMAN CAN

C
CQ2012 Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Hey there, Gul. Apologies for the delayed response.

We're partners with A+E, but we don't hang out with their "personalities", unfortunately. We wouldn't have any more luck contacting them than you would, but I wish we could help.

We don't exactly run our business the way you seem to think. We're not our for views or selling ads (we're okay on that front), but we're interested in providing a rich environment for passionate collectors to share what they love. It just so happens to tie in to History's programming.

Your compensation? You create a profile that links to your own personal website, or whatever you'd like to show an audience that History will be sending to us, and we show it off to them. We have many hundreds of (uncompensated) collectors who have uploaded images just because they enjoy sharing their interests. This description might not fit you, so there's no obligation.

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved