Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
This is a follow-up thread to a previous post. Just bought my first Wayne 70 and have a few questions.

Here are links to some pics:

http://img706.imageshack.us/img706/6804/1344397046314.jpg
http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/1773/1344397095748.jpg

http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/6528/1344397187992.jpg

I think the Texaco sign is original. It is missing one also. How hard will it be to find another original with the Sky Chief Petrox? Maybe I am better of taking the original off and buying two new repops to put on? I do plan on putting it outside, although it will be under a porch and out of direct sun/rain.

On of the ad glasses was broken, one of the 5x12 larger ones. Will I be able to locate an original to match the other sides? Or buy a repop? By looking at the close up of the ad glass, does this look original? Or just an older repop?

On the sides where the Lead sign is there are holes in the cabinet right below the Lead sign. Was there supposed to be something there?

Thanks!

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Pump appears to be a good buy, from the limited view in your pictures.

SkyChief Petrox porcelain pump plates are readily available on e-Bay for $125.00-$150.00 for a decent one. Reproduction plates are only available in SkyChief. No Petrox version being reproduced.

Ad glass looks original. You can easily find an original one e-Bay.

I am guessing that someone had a round 8" ethyl porcelain sign mounted on the side as they mount with three screws. These ethyl signs are being reproduced in porcelain.

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Not bad looking at all but would like to see more of the pump. I just bought one in silver that also has 3 pieces of ad glass and there's enough of them around that if you look, you'll find one. Pumps plates are abundant and I have a nice one if you're in a pinch for a Petrox pump plate. Have to check and see what I have left for dates but something close I'm sure.

Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
I did look on EBay last night for the pump plate and ad glass. Lowest price pump plate I saw was $200. And I did not see any ad glass.

Graeme-what do you mean by date? I'm new to this and don't know a lot!

And since what is on there is original, I assume I should replace the missing plate and one ad glass with original?

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
You just have to be patient and find a good deal on the pump plate. Like Dave said, you should be able to find a decent one for $125-150.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Interesting project.As to the date on the pump plate,not speaking for GasCan,I think a lot of us would prefer plates dated the same year if you can find them.Kind of like how they might have originally done it so to speak.At least,as noted,try to get as close as you can.

Also,your plate looks like a reall nice one.Personally,I wouldn't hesitate to go on up to $200 for one of matching quality.I thikk Dave may be right about the 8" ethyl plate on the side.If one will fit the holes I think it would look great on there.But then one of my mottos is,"if they did it,I'll do it".LOL.Good luck.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
As Old Iron stated, pump plates are dated. Or at least the originals are. Look in the lower right corner and you will see it. Usually it has day / month / year and says Made in USA on the lower left. Try and match the quality of that plate with one from eBay and don't jump at something where the field is chipped up, A few chips along the edge is normal and condition is king on what sets the price. Dave's numbers apply to an average pump plate and there's room to go higher if you are waiting for a quality sign like the one that's on there now. I've seen the nice ones as high as 250.00 at times so pick what you're comfortable with and try and get a date close to the other if you can. Remember it will likely be on the backside so sometimes a lower quality is OK if nobody is going to see it as often.

You can also find used ad glass on eBay from time to time or perhaps post in the want ad section here and you'll get email from members who have spares. Nice score on the pump. Here's a couple pics of the one I just traded for. It has original pump plates, 3 pieces of original ad glass, and a wide body original globe. It's nice to find these in original condition once in a while.

Ad.jpg Pumps.jpg Globe.jpg
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
This is the time of year that most people are busy with summer, children out of school and ect. Due to this; least amount of stuff is listed on e-Bay. The few plates on e-Bay listed with 'Buy it Now" prices of over $250.00 are people fishing for a sucker. You don't want to play their game. Wait till after the summer especially Dec-Feb when the average Joe has just received his first post Christmas credit card statement....there will be plenty of plates on e-Bay. Because of this there is more stuff listed and less people bidding because they to have just received a credit card bill.

If you decide to go with the 1940's plates to match the manufactured date of your pump. Then the Petrox plates are about 20 years to new...Petrox plates are dated early to mid sixties.
1940's plate are just plain "SkyChief" plates.

Dave GILL,
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
ok, I will pull the plate tonight and look for a date on it. I will also post some pics of the entire pump. It is cleaning up very nicely. I can live with the condition for a few years before I decide to repaint. But I am going to get it going for now and place it outside my shop building under the front porch.

Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Another ? everyone-

Exactly how does the door on the Wayne 70 hold itself shut? I see no latch of any type. I have a Bennett 371 and its nothing like that latch mechanism.

Do you lift up on the door as it is being closed and it just slides down into the slots?

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
There is a vertical bar along the edge of the frame by the door opening. The rod has little claw like hooks that catch the door and pull it in when the handle is moved/turned.

The vertical rods can be seen on the right side of the attached photo.

W70-Mar Red Ind-10.jpg
Last edited by Dave's Garage; Wed Aug 08 2012 12:27 PM.

Dave GILL,
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
That explains it then. Mine does not have any vertical bar running down the right side. No wonder it wouldn't latch correctly.

I have not seen these on Vics or Gas Pump Heaven for sale. Are they being made as a repop?

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
No. You will need to find original parts.

Drive with Care and Buy Sinclair!! I buy Sinclair globes, signs, cans, ect.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Ask Ryan Underthun or Tbuckles [members] or post in WANT TO BUY Forum

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Open the side hatch door and reach in toward the inside of the door. There should be a handle you can feel that releases the door. It's a spring loaded draw bar that runs all the way up the inside of the door with one to the left and one to the right of the side hatch. On the opposing side, there should be three hinges for each door that the door pivots on. If you're sure the carriage bar and springs are missing, then here's Ryan's contact info.

www.thepumpdump.com

Last edited by GasCan; Wed Aug 08 2012 09:19 PM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved