Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#34748 Tue Dec 20 2005 05:14 AM
J
OP Offline
J
Hello everybody,
I've a canadian supertest sign that I'm thinking to sell, but I don't have any info on it. It's a 60 inches sign, double side. I think it's from the 40's (but I'm not sure), and I don't have any idea of the value. Do one of you guys have any idea? I saw in september at an auction (in Ontario, on ebay) some selling for high money, but I don't if they were the same as mine.
Any info would be highly appreciated.

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#34749 Tue Dec 20 2005 06:29 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
JEAN, THIS IS ONE OF THOSE ITEMS THAT BECAUSE OF IT'S NICE FIELD CONDITION AND RARITY (MAYBE ONLY THE 2ND ONE I'VE EVER SEEN), IT'S A BEAUTY AND PROBABLY WORTH A CONSIDERABLE AMOUNT OF VALUE TO A CERTAIN COLLECTOR. I KNOW THERE ARE SUPERTEST COLLECTORS OUT THERE. I LIKE THE SIGN FOR IT'S GRAPHICS AND IT'S SIZE. I'D SAY IT'S WORTH WHATEVER SOMEONE IN THIS HOBBY IS WILLING TO PAY FOR IT HARDCORE OR NOT. IF YOU DON'T SELL IT LOCALLY, THRU THIS SITE OR ON EBAY....I'D BE INTERESTED IN KNOWING WHAT YOU WANT FOR THAT MAPLE LEAF SIGN! THANKS!

BTW, YOUR SIGNS GRAPHICS WERE USED FOR MANY YEARS DURING THE 1926-1955 TIME PERIOD. SUPERTEST OIL CO., LONDON, ONTARIO. SOMETIMES THERE IS A DATE ALONG THE BOTTOM BORDER IS STILL VISIBLE AND NOT CHIPPED AWAY.

DOC @ TAG.WEST

DOC @ THE AMERICAN GARAGE
#34750 Tue Dec 20 2005 06:46 AM
L
L
Jean,

As a fellow Canadian and one old enough to remember an old Supertest station that I walked by every day on the way to school, I can tell you that the other poster (American Garage) is correct, the sign is quite rare. As to how much it's worth, there is a small, but I believe avid group of Supertest collectors out there (mostly in Canada I suspect). There was one such individual in Prince Edward County, ON (near the Glenora ferry dock) who had his entire garage decked-out in Supertest stuff (signs, pumps, etc);but I believe he left the hobby and sold all the items.

Be aware that there's an individual near London, ON selling reproduced Supertest signs and mirrors, exceptionally well-done (hand-painted rather than vinyl appliqué). I don't think he sells anything as large as a 60 inch sign, however.

Are you simply seeking a valuation, or are you looking to sell it? If the latter, a neighbour with a gas station collects Supertest memorabilia and he might be interested. Any idea what you ight accept?

Thanks,

Grant

#34751 Tue Dec 20 2005 09:07 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
...Jean - I agree...list the sign on ebay...you'll get the best price for it there...the 'money' will find the sign there...just be sure to include words like 'rare porcelain sign' in your title, and take LOTS os photos of both sides, any damage, etc...REALLY nice sign!!

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
#34752 Tue Dec 20 2005 02:44 PM
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
Jean Like what has already been said about the sign. Rare,Good Condition,Size,Good Graphics & Gloss & Having The Original Ring. These all are good points in a nice collectable sign that is in high demand. Ebay will bring good money & let you know what the sign is worth. Put a good reserve on it. I would love to have it but I dont have that kind of cash right now. Good luck & keep us posted

Wanted Owens Motor Oil & Mobiloil Gargoyle.
Brad Ralston & my website is
www.petrobarn.com
#34753 Wed Dec 21 2005 08:27 AM
S
S
I have no idea of the value of your sign, but I'd sure like to have it! It deserves to be conserved and displayed publically for all to see.
As a collector of Canadian oil companies almost exclusively, I consider the Supertest story to be an important piece of history. I'd love to see your sign stay in Canada.
Whatever you decide to do with it, let us know here - I'd love a chance to bid for it!

Always looking for Texaco Canada, Supertest, White Rose, McColl Frontenac, and Miller Oil Co. info.
#34754 Wed Dec 21 2005 09:55 AM
J
OP Offline
J
Thanks everybody for your replies,
I'll put it for sale one day or the other. But right now, with all the snow and the weather, I won't be able to bring it somewhere for the shipping. I'll put it on ebay next spring, I guess it'll be the best way to know the value! I'll leave a message on oldgas when I'll sell it. If some of you guys have more info on the sign, don't hesitate. Thanks and Merry christmas.
jean-sebastien

#34755 Wed Dec 21 2005 06:53 PM
M
M
J-Seb: If you don't have the courage or the equipment to bring it to a UPS dock this winter and really want to sell it, let me know. I am half hour from you and could be interested in buying your sign if the price would be right.

Si ça t'intéresse, va voir mon site web: www.atoutevitesse.ca

Thanks

Mike
#34756 Fri Dec 23 2005 04:40 AM
J
OP Offline
J
I received yesterday an email (thanks John)with the link of the auction in september the Stackhouse collection auction. Here is the link : http://www.rmauctions.com/AuctionResults.cfm?SaleCode=ST05&SortBy=LN&View=Normal&Category=All#
Item # 3199 (60'') or 3569 (48'')The 60 inches sign sold for 8000$. Does it mean I could put a reserve around 3000$ ( both sign look nearly the same condition), or these kind of auction aren't representative of the value on the market? Thanks
Jean-sebastien

#34757 Fri Dec 23 2005 01:04 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
...sounds about right to me! Good luck, you should do quite well with it...another option would be to consign the piece to the Iowa Gas auction...you'd have to ship it there, but if you made an additional $1000-1500 from the sale it'd be well worth your time...the real money usually shows up at that auction, or the one at Columbus, OH...

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
#34758 Fri Dec 23 2005 05:39 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Too big for UPS or FED-EX. Try PILOT AIR, they will pick-up & deliver.
db

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved