Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I disagree Bob, years ago you got a very seldom reproduction that was easily distinquished from an original, NOW we have people that claim they are collectors and even people on this site that are responsible for producing this never ending supply of garbage, It is NOTHING like it was years ago, the amount and quality of reproductions made now have ruined a good part of what real collectors used to treasure.

"Remember, history that is forgotten is doomed to repeat itself!"
KZ1000 #347674 Sat Aug 11 2012 01:26 PM
s932 Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member

For those who want to see the difference

Originals only for me. Always looking for Simpson oil, Super A, and MFA oil cans and globes.
Shawn Morris
KZ1000 #347677 Sat Aug 11 2012 01:35 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Rick, can you honestly stop anyone from making or selling a repop and/or fantasy?......

If not? Why get so upset? Why not accept that they are part of the Hobby? A part that I wished wasn't a part of the Hobby... But my Dad, liked the old adage " Wish in one hand, Cr** in the other and see which one fills up faster"?......

One doesn't have to like repops/fantasy or have to partake in them. Each person/Collector/Decorator is able to decide for themself......

For me... Since I can't stop the manufacture and sales of them, I personally have to accept that they are an unfortunate "fact of life" in this Hobby...

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
What Shawn just did, could "come back to bite him in the *****"...

But a big thanks from me... Who doesn't collect MFA items... I can see the difference and it will stick with me, now...

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Are there any attorney's here on oldgas that are members? I think ebay needs someone (such as an attorney/lawyer) to contact them regarding giving the crooks that make these signs an avenue for selling them...without ebay how many of these would be on the market here in the states (one percent maybe?). I blame ebay for not doing anything about it (i have called countless times). Nothing makes me more mad than driving around...putting a few thousans miles on the truck to find REAL OLD (not old style or repop stuff) to offer for sale...and then have these foreign guys pop them out of a factory with no recourse... I am sure if enough folks got together and complained LOUDLY things would change...

Last edited by grabber; Sat Aug 11 2012 01:48 PM.

Wanted: Husky Cans/Signs, Interesting Pump Plates and NC Road Signage

Website www.petrojoe.com
s932 Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Bob I look at it like the damage is done I can't stop it so I posted the picture so everyone can see hopefully not get burned on a fake sign, but I'm sure someone will. Look at the famous Mobil T53 sign it gets someone every week.

Last edited by s932; Sat Aug 11 2012 01:49 PM.

Originals only for me. Always looking for Simpson oil, Super A, and MFA oil cans and globes.
Shawn Morris
grabber #347685 Sat Aug 11 2012 02:04 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Things would not change! Not one of us are considered a recognized expert in the "Field"... Namely, because we don't have an Organization or Standards....

Joey, you have been buying and selling items for years.... But, Ebay doesn't have anyway of knowing your background.... So put yourself in their position: Someone contacts you and you have NO IDEA if they actually know what they are talking about? You, have to pass....

If we had Standards and an Organization, then there would be more "influence and pressure" that possibly could come to bear?

But as it is right now, everyone in the Hobby is able to determine Grading and state if something is Original or Not...

I wouldn't listen to those contacting Ebay, if I was them. (and yes I have contacted and talked to Ebay on more than one occasion)...

Back in the early 70s, my Dad and some of the "old timers" in the Hobby got together and talked about trying to form an Organization to set Standards in the Hobby... As everyone can see... it went nowhere and even fractured a number of long time friendships....

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
M F an A!! You can't control others. You can control they way you react. Bob, some are sure to be upset. It would be hard not to be for those who own what is now coming to market. Perhaps we could make a difference if several hundred people reported this to ebay. Most likely ebay won't do a thing. Anyone with customs on this site? Could this be stopped in the shipyard? Bob points out no laws broken in place of origin but when the container lands is it still legal? I guess the individual trademark owners are the ones who should really be upset and willing to stop this. Their collective clout is far greater than all the members of oldgas. Perhaps if they were inundated with people pointing out their ripped off trademarks on these signs something might get done. It is a frustrating, disgusting part of this hobby that is not going away soon if ever. Now where do I send info to Texaco, Harley and all the others still in business? Someone should have some insight on who the right contact might be.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Every time a Fake/Fantasy item sells for more than it cost to make, it's just an Incentive for the maker/seller to correct mistakes & make/sell another.

Remember approx. a year ago when someone from India wanted to move a Cargo Container to Ky/Tn & wanted help in selling their Collection of signs?
Even through they haven't posted lately, I'd bet they are still Coping images that are posted here & Correcting their graphics. Every time a Fake is posted, WE post what is Wrong & how to tell the Original from a Fake.

JP can make it Difficult to Copy/Snag images, BUT will never be able to Prevent it from happening. As large as ebay is they Cannot stop it either. HELL even Coke-Cola Doesn't seem to care that their Logo is being used for FRAUDULENT signs.

With the New CD being sold on Globes [HIGH RESOLUTION PDF Images], it's just a matter of time before WE see a Large influx of FAKE Globes being offered from India, Argentina & even from here in the states. Making Globes is a lot less Expensive than setting up for making Porcelain signs.
jm2c

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
That's another problem Greg, these signs/Fakes are Not coming into the country in containers, they are being shipped to individuals 1 & 2 at a time. U.S. Customs does not have the manpower to check Every Package, they can only spot check. Same as they do for drugs, they Might be stopping 1/10 to 1/100 of what is crossing the boarder daily.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Originally Posted By: Bob Richards
In India, it is NOT AGAINST THE LAW TO MAKE REPOPS AND FANTASY ITEMS..... In fact it is encouraged... Helps support Local Communities and Local Economy's.....

Repops and fantasy items have been in the Hobby, long before I started Collecting.... It will be part of the Hobby long after I stop walking this Earth...

Suck it up..... Collectors have been complaining about repops and fantasy items for over 60 years.... It is NOT NEW... The only thing, NEW...... Is you folks!!!!!!!!!!

For those who have "10 minutes" in the Hobby... Take a deep breath... For you "Experienced Collectors"... You have been in the Hobby long enough to know you have NO CONTROL over others that make this junk, so why get upset?

I expect that most every popular Company will be repopped... It is up to me, to educate myself and know when they surface... Getting upset, at least for me, doesn't change a damn thing.. (It does help to vent, I know that for a fact... LOL)

Agree 100% with Bob. I've been in the hobby only a few months myself and haven't unknowingly bought a repop sign yet. I look at feedback, and examine the signs carefully before buying each and every one. Spotted a lot of fakes out there and simply move on. Not worth trying to report.

GasCan #347768 Sat Aug 11 2012 09:38 PM
B
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
B
For any legal action, you need concrete proof. We all know it's fake, but thus far there is no concrete proof.

bppierce #347771 Sat Aug 11 2012 09:41 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
concrete proof = beyond a reasonable doubt

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Has OldGas ever considered becoming more private? You can't give away the richest source of knowledge on the subject and not expect it to be misused.

Eddy Smith
Call or Text: 678-232-4637
E-mail: eddysmithjr@gmail.com
Always looking for pump plates or small signs!
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I think I have made my thoughts regarding un-dated repops very clear in earlier posts.As I remember,that eas the only time I ever swore at someone on here.

As has been noted,we are not going to stop it IMO.All one has to do is go back into previous posts on here and review the listings from the several auction companies for an almost un-ending source of images.For the most part,IMO, too late.

I will make a couple of general comments on this subject speaking only for myself.

First,I have a few signs and original decals that I have yet to see close up pics of posted anywhere.DB told me early on that if I didn't want them popped,don't post them.I listened.They have never been posted.The sad part of that is there are several that some members here probably don't even know exist.

Second,I also have a list of very desireable signs,NOT limited to gas and oil,that I will never own because of this.I do resent this very deeply because it restricts what is available for me to collect and enjoy.

Sorry about the sign Shawn.I too would be sick about it in your position.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings *

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved