Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#349191 Fri Aug 17 2012 03:55 PM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member

After going to Iowa Gas this year IMO the pump prices seamed to have climbed quite a bit . Even common pumps seamed to bring in way more than in the past. Can anyone else give me some feedback on this. Are they higher do to the TV shows, or is supply finally dwindling??? I thought it was just Craig's list that had the higher prices but I guess not.

Thanks,
Rob

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
M
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
M
Rob...

its the same down here in Australia... some restored 50's pumps would bring $1500-$2250 5yrs ago and now see the same pumps recently pushing the $2500-$3500 area...

must be the hidden gold in them...

Considering the volumn of pumps made in the states was 20 times larger than ours, you would think prices would be constant on commonly seen pumps but maybe less people are keeping them (& ending up scrap metal) and the ones restored that are out there for sale have picked up in demand..

cheers

Martin

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I haven't been around long on this...but all the guys who have met that are into it seem to think they are running out....sad but true ?

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Every time something gets to be hard to accumulate/collect, that just opens the doors for REPOP's. They don't have to be exact copies, even a fact similar will sell & for less than an original.
*Orig. Cotton covered Hoses are replaced w/ Nylon covered Fire Hoses.
*Signs are being offered similar to orig.
*Globes, Copies of Orig. & Fantasy's are selling.
*Cans, Copies of orig. & Fantasy are selling.
*Pumps made of Cast Alum, Fiberglass & Fantasy items are selling.
But w/o REPOP's & Re-casting of parts how many of YOUR pumps would appear Complete?

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Rob--Definitely climbing! Its getting a lot harder to find them in the wild anymore and I know the high scrap prices have contributed to that a lot. I know of a couple instances where pumps were saved from the scrap yard by collectors that spotted them on a loaded trailer headed for the yards!

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
K W FRITH #349240 Fri Aug 17 2012 06:24 PM
G
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
G
Unrestored pump prices in my area started going up about a year ago and they are still climbing. There are still deals to be made out there though. Richard

S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
since most of the pumps were sold by the time I got to walk around on Wednesday afternoon. Would appreciate input from others on what they saw pumps selling for - both at Iowa and in your area.
From average shorts (Bennett, Tokheim, M&S, etc) to same in talls, to the Wayne 60, Bennett 541, Tokheim 36, and then on to the rare birds......thanks

G
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
G
I just sold a pair of Tokheim 39 short pumps this week. These pumps were in A-1 condition, original red paint on both, faceplates were mint, no rust or dents right out of the bank barn. It took me 20 minutes to unstack the hay out away from them. The farmer sold them to me for $800. I sold them in one hour for $1500. Yes condition is everything and even though they only book around 350 each, supply is DOWN and my customers know it. Therefore, they pay and keep right on calling me. Good Luck Hunting smile Goober

Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: Signs&Neons
since most of the pumps were sold by the time I got to walk around on Wednesday afternoon. Would appreciate input from others on what they saw pumps selling for - both at Iowa and in your area.
From average shorts (Bennett, Tokheim, M&S, etc) to same in talls, to the Wayne 60, Bennett 541, Tokheim 36, and then on to the rare birds......thanks

Thanks for the imput so far guys. As far as Iowa Gas I got there early this year and was able to first hand see the pumps sell (FAST) 50s pumps were selling for $500.00-650.00 up from last year for sure. I remember when we could not get more than $250 for these things just a few years ago! When I am picking I still have the old prices in my mind. I used to buy a fifties pump for $50.00 in 1994 when I started. I would always start at 50.00 and then go up from there if need be. Anyway to keep on subject those pumps remained low priced pumps for about 16 years then started to finally go up around three years ago. This reminds me of the start of the housing boom. I think we are just starting to see the increases and from here they will continue to climb in value. I saw many younger and newer people at Iowa this year looking to buy a pump and the supply just was not there.
Rob

S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
thanks for the info Rob- I'm seeing higher priced "common" electrics also. What were the better pumps selling for (36, 60, etc). thanks

Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: Signs&Neons
thanks for the info Rob- I'm seeing higher priced "common" electrics also. What were the better pumps selling for (36, 60, etc). thanks
I saw only one 36 B rusted through on bottom panels for 1250.00 and a 60 or two for 1300.00-1800.00 Wayne 70s 800.00 Not many rare pumps for sale all pre=sale.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Them that have been Hoarding are Smiling, Big Time!

S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
Not too bad in my area "Eugene ore.". I never see clockface pumps anywhere. i see alot of visibles and common electrics.

Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: Dick Bennett
Them that have been Hoarding are Smiling, Big Time!

YES THEY ARE smile laugh

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I don't think you can over emphasis the reality that some people are looking for some safe places to put their money.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved