Oldgas.com Home

Home | Help | Events | Classifieds | Bookstore | Pictures | Auctions | Links | Collectors | Parts | Contact

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#349362 - Sat Aug 18 2012 01:20 PM Harley-Davidson Rocker Can
henlovestoys Online   content
Veteran Member

Loc: Bay Area, CA
Wow!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/300764059417?_trksid=p5197.c0.m619

This is the 2nd one I have seen on eBay. brought big $$$ as well several years ago.

#349374 - Sat Aug 18 2012 03:01 PM Re: Harley-Davidson Rocker Can [Re: henlovestoys]
Dave's Garage Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Abbotsford, British Columbia, ...
Nice rocker, interesting how it started it's life as a Shell can originally and then somehow and somewhere rebranded as a Harley Can. 7 days to go and it's up to $1750.00.

#350548 - Thu Aug 23 2012 10:15 PM Re: Harley-Davidson Rocker Can [Re: Dave's Garage]
JimT Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Cleveland,Ohio U.S.A.
Looks like someone cancelled their bid. Its down to 1500.00 now. Reserve not met....

#350587 - Fri Aug 24 2012 06:13 AM Re: Harley-Davidson Rocker Can [Re: JimT]
KZ1000 Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Mass
someone will get screwed because someone made up/painted a can years ago "for themselves". can you imagine what it will be like 20 years from now.

#350618 - Fri Aug 24 2012 10:03 AM Re: Harley-Davidson Rocker Can [Re: KZ1000]
marxmobilgas Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: DFW Texas USA
I'm just trying to figure out if it was done years ago and now its old or just recently added Harley graphics and now "aged" .

Not buying the Harley bought the Shell cans *****....

#350629 - Fri Aug 24 2012 10:45 AM Re: Harley-Davidson Rocker Can [Re: marxmobilgas]
gulfiend! Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Raleigh, North Carolina
....no, Harley wouldn't have bought the Shell cans...the can company may have repainted leftover Shell tin sheets with Harley graphics, before they were made into cans...we've all seen the cans that have other labels inside the can, printed on the backside of the tin...

...it even happened with fully-assembled cone top beer cans - especially Crowntainers...

#350634 - Fri Aug 24 2012 10:57 AM Re: Harley-Davidson Rocker Can [Re: gulfiend!]
Catauladave Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Cataula, Georgia, USA
So how does one "label" this item? Fake? Fantasy? Mistake? Replica? Original? Whatever? And does it have value as a collectable?
Thanks for your help,
Dave
PS Collecting is becoming "complicated". LOL

#350647 - Fri Aug 24 2012 11:48 AM Re: Harley-Davidson Rocker Can [Re: Catauladave]
Loyd Pierce Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Mt. Juliet, Tenn.
Dave thats a good question! I guess if you was kicking it down at the St Loius can company in the roaring 20s you would be a expert.
Looks like can has had dents blowed out of it cause it has a outward crease on the shell side. Although the seller seems like a honest joe, I wouldn't cough up that kind of money with the maybes in question. Just my opinion,and you know what they say about them.

#350654 - Fri Aug 24 2012 12:09 PM Re: Harley-Davidson Rocker Can [Re: Loyd Pierce]
gulfiend! Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Raleigh, North Carolina
...if the can was made in the 1920's-1930's with overprinted tin, I think the value is the same as a can made at the time with not-overprinted tin...original...

#350672 - Fri Aug 24 2012 02:31 PM Re: Harley-Davidson Rocker Can [Re: gulfiend!]
Loyd Pierce Offline
Veteran Member

I agree and think its orginal,but there is allways that unknown.
Harley stuff is over valued as a whole in my opinion. If they keep demanding prices like this there will be fakes out there.
Seller is banking on what a antique dealer told him. I have never had one tell me a big one have you?

#350674 - Fri Aug 24 2012 02:35 PM Re: Harley-Davidson Rocker Can [Re: Loyd Pierce]
Notchcad Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Texas
Condition isn't there to bring that kind of money anyways IMO. Fake Or not. But again your are talking about a different breed of humans. Harley people can get a little out of control!

#350678 - Fri Aug 24 2012 03:03 PM Re: Harley-Davidson Rocker Can [Re: Notchcad]
marxmobilgas Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: DFW Texas USA
2 found on the net:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

one from ebay

both sides of another can

If its a redo, its a good one.

I would think Harley would have gotten new blank cans to to put their graphics on, versus using the existing Shell can.
Unless where they were getting them from did use up old stock of other cans, in this case Shell.
Which would fall in line with the reprinted tin cans mentioned earlier.
These were for use, not for show, so they wouldnt have to be perfect.
Were they used at HD dealerships service area?

#350679 - Fri Aug 24 2012 03:07 PM Re: Harley-Davidson Rocker Can [Re: Notchcad]
Loyd Pierce Offline
Veteran Member

Originally Posted By: Notchcad
Condition isn't there to bring that kind of money anyways IMO. Fake Or not. But again your are talking about a different breed of humans. Harley people can get a little out of control!

I wasn't going to say that,afaird I would hit a nerve or two. Harley guys have been added two by doctors,lawlers, successfull business owners that owned bike way back when and want to try it again. Nothing wrong with that. They just don't look at the dollar the same as I do. SO EXPLAINS THE ORGINAL POST " WOW ".

#350695 - Fri Aug 24 2012 04:11 PM Re: Harley-Davidson Rocker Can [Re: Loyd Pierce]
Here's Your Sign Offline
Petro Enthusiast

Loc: Just North of Atlanta, Ga.
Gotta think, back then Harley probably wasn't the powerhouse they are now. They had to compete with Indian and others. They may have seen a way to save a few grand and bought some old cans??
Always looking for pump plates or small signs!

#350773 - Fri Aug 24 2012 09:04 PM Re: Harley-Davidson Rocker Can [Re: Here's Your Sign]
Dave's Garage Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Abbotsford, British Columbia, ...
Neat can with an interesting storied past...I think it's an original. Unable to determine for sure via photographs. But, easily determined if you were holding the can.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Click on magnifying glass icon on lower left to search eBay

Copyright © 2016 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved