Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#349737 Mon Aug 20 2012 06:52 AM
D
Docdup1 Offline OP
OP Offline
D
I recently saw a Polly Gas pump at a swap meet and it was painted in what I would call a 56 Chevy green and cream color scheme. In reading the Henderson and Benjamin restoration guide, it says that Wilshire Oil had very loose paint standards. I like the Polly Gas logo and I would like to build up a pump, but I am not into the black and neon green scheme. I want it to be reasonably accurate and I was hoping someone might be able to tell me if they used anything like the green and cream colors.

Thanks,

Doc

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Don't know how the originals were done by Wilshire but I just bought this one and the guy who did the pump obviously thought along the same lines as yourself. The cool thing about pumps is that you can paint them whatever color you desire. The only thing that needs to be done correctly is a pump that's being done in purist fashion, and one that's being put into a collection or specific brand. This one shown below will be finished off with a Polly globe and ad glass before being sold off.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Please yourself, if not satisfied sell it to the Canadians!

D
Docdup1 Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Thanks for the feedback, that is a very attractive pump. I agree that you should please yourself and not others. I do the same with my cars. rather than restore a car to the way it was made, I like to restore then to the way that they should have been made. Of course it helps that I don't own super valuable cars. I think that I will go shopping for that 56 Chevy green paint.

Doc

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I'm a TriFive nut too Doc. I have a Gilbarco being painted this week and it's being done to match my car. The car is black and silver, and yes it's custom and so it doesn't appeal to purists.

BTW DICK, we buy cars up here too! Got anything else you want to sell besides a re-lid?

Last edited by Watchdog7; Mon Aug 20 2012 01:25 PM. Reason: to General Petro Guidelines
G
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
G
I know the Wilshire Oil Company used a really cool looking "Sea Foam Green" on their metal globe bodies and pumps. You may want to look this color up at your local PPG distributor? Its a really light color of green that has a better nostalgic look to it. Good luck bud smile Goober

D
Docdup1 Offline OP
OP Offline
D
That sounds like the color I was thinking of. Thanks for the tip.

Doc

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I sold this pump Many years ago, last I heard it's still in this condition, Unrestored.
Mendenhall Gas Up Museum has a mate to it w/ RADIO Decals & the WILSHIRE Adv Glass; 1st picture in this link::
http://oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=95100&page=3

originalpollygilbarco.jpg
D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
Seen this Polly Wilshire pump many years ago and it is NICE! Great link to an old post Dick! Counted about 15 Members that chimed in we have not heard from in a year or more.

D
Docdup1 Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Does anyone make the sign/sticker in this style? It seems that everyone makes the parrot, but I have not seen the tombstone style logo at the usual sources.

Doc

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I've got ALL the Wilshire tombstone decals you might need.

http://www.t-waysgraphics.com/decalsWXYZ.htm

Later . . .

Jim

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved