Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#349921 Tue Aug 21 2012 02:26 AM
S
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
S
Okay. So I've been in this hobby for about 4 months now. With the exception of a couple small flea market pieces, I've purchased everything on ebay. Why? Because it's easy I guess. Well my buying is on hold for a little while so I can get married and get my garage addition (read collection display room) paid for. So this is a good time to regroup.
I'm tired of paying what seems to be top dollar. From what you guys have told me on this site I've gotten some good deals but I've also paid good money on some pieces.
So here is my question. Where do I go to buy petroliana besides ebay, antique stores... I really dont have time to be a picker where I literally drive around and knock on old farm house doors. So to make a long story short, where/how do you guys buy/find this stuff for good money.

Steve Coppens
Always interested in Sunoco items!
Really want a Sunoco National pump ad glass!!
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Steven C. #349922 Tue Aug 21 2012 03:53 AM
Y
Petro Enthusiast
Online Content
Petro Enthusiast
Y
Tell all the people who you hang out with what types of items you like and have them keep ther eyes open for you, the more eyes looking the better, I have also got some good signs out of restaurants, I bought a chevy dealer sign out of a sporting goods store! Just have to ask all they can say is no.

Yellow57 #349927 Tue Aug 21 2012 04:57 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: Yellow57
Tell all the people who you hang out with what types of items you like and have them keep ther eyes open for you, the more eyes looking the better, I have also got some good signs out of restaurants, I bought a chevy dealer sign out of a sporting goods store! Just have to ask all they can say is no.

I agree. Networking. Talk to everyone. The days of "knocking on farmhouse doors" are over I think. Just like Sunday drives, up and down the back roads. These people all have satellite TV now and watch it....
The stuff is still out there.
Good luck!

Email :john@barnquiltshop.com

"The Fun Is In The Hunt"
Web site: www.barquiltshop.com/
Old Racer #349928 Tue Aug 21 2012 05:10 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Forget the antique stores, But ebay still turns up some great bargains if your patient and do your homework. Talk to other collectors and put on many miles by attending the few shows around the country.

Last edited by KZ1000; Tue Aug 21 2012 05:11 AM.

"Remember, history that is forgotten is doomed to repeat itself!"
KZ1000 #349930 Tue Aug 21 2012 05:30 AM
O
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
O
Quote:
The days of "knocking on farmhouse doors" are over I think

I personally dont think so. All of the best stuff I've ever bought has been this way. If they have been watching too much TV and are crazy high I always let them know that you cant rely on whats on TV for real world prices. It seems to me that some people are afraid to go knock on someones door and just ask. I bought an original Coca Cola vertical gas sign with the chalkboard the other day off of a house out in the middle of no where. I stopped and she said that they've had a bunch of people stop and ask but wouldnt sell it, I threw out an offer and bam I came home with it. This stuff is still out there you just have to take the time to find it.

Last edited by oilman514; Tue Aug 21 2012 05:30 AM.
KZ1000 #349931 Tue Aug 21 2012 05:32 AM
Petro Enthusiast
Online Content
Petro Enthusiast
Keep a eye on Criaglist as there are some good deals. I just got a Bennett 546 gas pump in very very good condition for $250. You just have to keep talking to people and searching the internet.

Gas Pumps, Farmall tractors and 1968 Chevrolet Impalas
KZ1000 #349932 Tue Aug 21 2012 05:34 AM
I personally have had good luck finding gas pump deals on Craigslist. In fact way better bargains than eBay. The only catch is that you can only search one city at a time the way their website is configured. There are a few search engines that will let you locate an item like "gas pump", but Craigslist keeps shutting them down. My understanding is that eBay owns a good bit of Craigslist stock and wants you to use them instead so that they can collect all of the fees. Am I right folks?

FRY 117 #349943 Tue Aug 21 2012 06:30 AM
A
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
A
Networking with people in the area has really paid off for me. But it takes time. I now get emails and phone calls from people telling me of signs and pumps that they have seen at different places. Doesnt mean they were for sell at that time ,but you have to stay in contact with them. I have to say my best pumps that I have bought, I purchased through fellow old gas members.
Even had to make payments om some of them.

Gene

azjockey #349944 Tue Aug 21 2012 06:34 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Going to gas shows is another way to buy things and network with other people who have the same addiction as you.

Originals only for me. Always looking for Simpson oil, Super A, and MFA oil cans and globes.
Shawn Morris
FRY 117 #349945 Tue Aug 21 2012 06:38 AM
C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
SC62, welcome to collecting 101 -

You've already completed step 1, deciding what to collect!

Step 2 Where to find it! - You've already had experience at finding some pieces at varied locations, and as you say you've gotten some deals and also paid out at times.

Unless you're a millionaire and can put someone on your payroll to go find stuff for you, the job is up to you to acquire your collection.

It's a time vs money issue of course, which is worth more to you?
Online purchases take more money, but you save time that you're new wife will want you to spend on her.

Craigslist allows you to spend time looking while at home, contacting sellers and then spending a small amount of time in the acquisition portion.

Antique stores are still good places to visit, especially if you find those that have dealers who specialize in advertising signage. Get those dealers numbers and let them know you're a prospective buyer for future offerings.

Flea markets are hit & miss unless there are regular dealers who handle advertising, but they do offer the opportunity for exercise, so are healthy for you too! Again, get the numbers of those dealers and tell them what you're looking for.

Shows are great, whether gas & oil, car shows, antique shows, farm shows. Gas & oil shows will turn up the best selection, but also require more money than you may want to spend. The other shows give you a chance of running into someone who isn't going to price a sign or can out of your budget.

Honestly, the time invested in building these resources is going to determine how successful and quickly you'll be able to build your collection. Keep a notebook of contacts and keep in touch with them regularly. A few minutes on the phone can be worth hundreds of dollars saved. When your contacts know what you're willing to pay (and you aren't a skin flint), they will remember to give you a call about items they know you'll be interested in.

Networking these resources with your time and money eventually will result in a growing collection.

Collecting anything keeps you young at heart!
FRY 117 #349947 Tue Aug 21 2012 06:41 AM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Besides the obvious selling sites like Craigslist, Kijiji and eBay, you've gotta make some rounds. You need to meet local and area collectors and make some friends in the hobby as they know what's being moved, who's selling what, and what's being offered around to other collectors. The pickers in each region (and I mean real pickers not TV drama queens) always find great stuff that collectors are looking for, and when they find something cool they always bring the items around to sell. It's important to know the collectors because you may also get a run at something they don't buy, or if they do buy it and hang it on a wall, something else may be coming down that a collector will move out.

I've gotten a huge jump on my collection by picking from other collectors and it has helped me get a serious jump into the hobby 5x quicker than I could ever have sourced this stuff myself. In 5 months of collecting, I have what most people would take years to find and a lot of it in prime condition. Some I paid a premium for, some I've gotten deals on, and some things I have had to sell to leverage other items and mitigate some losses as I move up in quantities, quality, and new brands. I've been told from others that I'm maturing quite fast as a collector, but I'm still learning from others all the time, I'm enjoying it immensely, and I'm also making a few mistakes along the way which is all part of it.

If it's fun go hard, and if you're coming out on top as you invest in quality pieces, then you're doing it right. Just get out there and network with other buyers, collectors, and pickers and tell them all what you're looking for. Hit some auction houses too as every once in a while, you'll find an awesome deal.

carolinaskies #349950 Tue Aug 21 2012 06:44 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I agree with Oilman. It still pays to hit the backroads and farm houses. for me the key is to offer a fair price. There was a guy who used to hit Montana pretty hard (they are not a memeber of Oldgas) and he always cried povrety and got some real bargains. Some would say he "stole stuff." When I started and would knock on people's doors they would ask if I knew him. When I said I did they would say, "Well, if you offer what he did you may as well leave now." LOL

Minuteman was in MT a while back to pick up a sign and stopped and asked for directions and found a Wayne 40 (think that was it) and it came home with him too. Stuff is still out there.

Alex
Looking for Texaco and Power Gasoline items
Alex #349952 Tue Aug 21 2012 06:49 AM
C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
Talk with people that go out into any field of there business whether it is port-a-poty, policeman, fireman, city inspector, well driller or any other person that would be out and about. Told a policeman one time was looking for old cars. A week later he showed up with a list of old cars in Garages that I never would have thought of just in North Portland. Got 8 cars out of it. You never know without other peoples help and eyes.

Craig
carolinaskies #349966 Tue Aug 21 2012 08:23 AM
H
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
H
Everything is mentioned excpet right where we are, Old Gas.com and Items for Sale or Trade. Lot's of goodies here and many times at great prices, you just have to be the first one in
Good luck and enjoy our wonderful hobby

Craig Osbeck #349969 Tue Aug 21 2012 08:47 AM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Originally Posted By: Craig Osbeck
Talk with people that go out into any field of there business whether it is port-a-poty, policeman, fireman, city inspector, well driller or any other person that would be out and about. Told a policeman one time was looking for old cars. A week later he showed up with a list of old cars in Garages that I never would have thought of just in North Portland. Got 8 cars out of it. You never know without other peoples help and eyes.

+1 on what Craig said... water/power meter readers are a good source too. I am always in Lowes buyin stuff for projects and I ask the appliance delivery guys too. You never know what people will come up with.

Thanks,
-Paul

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved