Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
I have a question, in my quest to set up a display of early West Jordan, Utah gas stations, does anyone out there know if Sinclair, Conoco and Frontier oil had their oil in glass bottles before cans? If so what decals were on the bottles? Any help greatly appreciated.
WJHcurator Utahbob

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I don't know this for sure but Frontier did not get into Utah, Idaho until they bought out Beeline in 1960. At this time they went by the Frontier Beeline name. No glass bottles only dual label composite cans. Frontier was formed as a company in June 1940. Mitch

Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Mitch, thanks for the info. I have a photo of a West Jordan gas station in 1949 with a Frontier sign, and the globes are Frontier. A little later it became a Covey Station.
Utahbob

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Basically only during WW2 was oil sold in Sealed Bottles, before & after the war, oil was sold in Refinery sealed cans. Bulk oil was always available on the island in spout bottles.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Thanks Bob that's interesting. So much for my theory of when Frontier got into Utah. you've made me do some research into some of my old company magazines and what I found was enlighting. I hope you can read this article out of the May 1949 Rarin-to-Go magazine. If not you should be able to blow it up and read it. Mitch

PDR_0213.JPG PDR_0214.JPG
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Thanks Mitch I appreciate you contacting me it is fun to ask questions on this site because I always learn something. I am also happy that I can things I have learner.

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved