Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#350341 Wed Aug 22 2012 08:59 PM
GasCan Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Don't know how many have been watching this sign on eBay (Item number: 170896208774) but you could definitely say it has some character marks on it. It went from $500 to just over $1000 after the reserve was lowered today, and has 3 days to go. Should be interesting to watch.

Rusty RI.gif
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
field on this sign still shows well- I like it.. cool

RANDY
GasCan Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Yup...decent field, and awesome shelving on the head area. I like it myself, just surprised that so many others do as well. lol

This is such a cool sign. It made me cringe when I read on the description how it "could make a great restoration piece". I cannot imagine why anyone would ever want to do that. It should stay the way it is in my opinion.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Amen to that! leave it as is!

Thanks
Mike

Always Looking for any Pure Oil and Sunoco Items.
W
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
W
To each his own I guess ? not my cup of tea...

Wes.......
GasCan Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Definitely not a sign you'd find in within a high end Red Indian collection, but not everyone wants to pay 4K-5K for an original version of this sign in nicer condition. I like the fact that someone who likes Red Indian will keep this sign alive and add it to a wall somewhere, and obviously there are still a market for distressed signs in the rare type brands.

I'd buy it for $500 but not for the price it's at now. smile

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
It is what it is....a rare and desirable sign with some condition issues. None the less, it is a $1500.00 sign.

Graeme, don't hesitate to buy a similar sign in that condition for a $1000.00, it's a good deal!

I would use it as a filler till I found a better one. I know that I would always be able to sell it. You can walk around with 4-5K in your pocket and that doesn't guarantee you will find one. Tough sign to find in any condition.

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
GasCan Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Good advice Dave...

I bought a rusted and distressed 36" round Red Indian sign last month that a few people balked at because of it's condition. Sure it had a few bullets sent it's way in the past, some porcelain loss and some rust issues, but it was worth saving and will be used for the time being. The cool thing is that these signs had lives, and they were made to hang outside buildings, have stones thrown at them and bullets fired at them. Hell anyone could walk down the road with a 22cal rifle 80 years ago and fire some shots at the head of the Red Indian sign. In fact, it was a target for many so they could sight in their rifles! They weren't manufactured for museum collections, they were made for Gas Stations, and most have a story to tell.

That one I bought last month is now having one side restored by Dan Van Kennel and it will no doubt display beautifully when it's done and hung on the wall. I've already been offered twice what I paid for it, and one person has already said bring it to my place when your done with it and I'll be the next caretaker. smile

Couldn't agree with you more on your thoughts Dave! smile

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings *

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved