Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Redfishangler #349974 Tue Aug 21 2012 09:32 AM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I live in the city and we don't have very many barns to look at. Not very many gas bashes within an hour drive either.

All great resources have been mentioned. I've found that dealing with Oldgassers has been great. You can be sure of the authenticity of what you pay for and all these guys are always willing to make things right. Many times, at great prices, if you can jump on them quick enough. Not the case with ebay, CL, and antique stores. But, I've had some good luck with CL since I've been able to bring the sellers down to "reality" and out of the "reality shows".

Also, I've established some good relationships with some antique dealers who are willing to look out for what I want and drop me a deal. But, that's just a matter of being nice and talking with them.

Some of my friends in the construction trades and other service related guys are also on the lookout for me in their travels. With them, they find stuff and give them to me for free. Again, all based on good relationships.

Good luck with your new addiction and happy hunting!

Ron

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Ron Cabanayan #349989 Tue Aug 21 2012 11:10 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Makeup some flyer/cards stating what your looking for [pictures speak louder than too many words] in ANY Condition [What is Junk to them Might not be to you]. Post them at grocery, coin-op laundry, feed, hardware, lumber yards, plumbing, tire, farm, welding stores/shops, everywhere/anywhere they have a board, etc. Advertise in penny savers, farm/news papers. Take a 6pk [soda/beer]& flyer/cards to local scrap yard/recycling center & make sure workers know what your looking for, offer a finders fee &/or a fair price above scrap values for stuff.

Dick Bennett #350009 Tue Aug 21 2012 01:53 PM
S
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
S
Wow!! A lot of very good info guys!! Thanks very much!!!

Steve Coppens
Always interested in Sunoco items!
Really want a Sunoco National pump ad glass!!
Steven C. #350023 Tue Aug 21 2012 03:16 PM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Despite what others have said here you can still find bargains at antique stores and on feebay at least I have. Dealers can not be experts on everything (and in some cases they are also just plain lazy to look up on ebay what the value is). Case in point I bought a Sunoco map rack mint for something like $45.00. Also I have found great deals on feebay but I spend about 2 1/2 hours a night on it. There will be items mis-categorized or undervalued with buy it now pricing. As said above it takes a lot of time to find deals. It's also harder if your one particular brand collector or looking for specific items. I too buy alot on feebay but only if I feel it is a good price.

I travel for work - at least use to, and even finding stuff in the wild I have spent a great deal of time talking to the station owners to win their confidence that you are honest and have a genuine interest in this stuff. Course this is worth it when you listen to the great stories they tell about the old days. John

Fueluser #350976 Sat Aug 25 2012 02:07 PM
TBA Feature Host
TBA Feature Host
The best thing to do is ask people. My best finds were in places you would least expect it!

Last edited by 57tbirdkid; Sat Aug 25 2012 02:08 PM.

The most valuable commodity I know of is information-Wall Street
57tbirdkid #351136 Sun Aug 26 2012 06:07 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Good advise from all.
Another tip I learned....BUY THINGS WHERE THEY SHOULDN'T BE.
Meaning go to specific aimed events like FORD swap meets to buy Chevrolet items.
Places where the crowd isn't necessarily there for the item being sold are great places to find good deals.But you have to do your foot work & look.
You'd be amazed how eager sellers are to get rid of something,in a crowd that doesn't want it.
Instead of seeking out those buyers @ other events,they literally just give things away & be done with it.

57tbirdkid #351190 Sun Aug 26 2012 10:09 AM
gotta go to the shows.

Always looking for good Pure stuff, dude...
The Brain #351214 Sun Aug 26 2012 11:04 AM
H
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
H
Head for the small towns in rural America....... put up wanted notices on the bulletin board in Post Office's...... go to the local livestock auction yard and do the same.
Another thing to do is make friends with the local fuel delivery guys and let them know what you are looking for... and here is what you might find..... some pumps are still being used and some are still hooked up and haven't been used in years....... some are stored away in old sheds and others can be laying in the weeds.

The Neptune was still hooked up and being used and the Milwaukee was laying in the tall grass.

This Wayne Narrow 60 disappeared earlier this spring in Eastern WA..... if anyone see's it let me know.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved