Oldgas.com Home

Home | Help | Events | Classifieds | Bookstore | Pictures | Auctions | Links | Collectors | Parts | Contact

Topic Options
#351139 - Sun Aug 26 2012 08:13 AM Texaco & Mobiloil Fake Trash On Ebay
moore798 Offline
Petro Enthusiast

Loc: Osage County Oklahoma
India Seller"STENCILWORK" has been busy turning out this trash!
EBAY #261088527982
EBAY #261088474710

Edited by moore798 (Sun Aug 26 2012 08:18 AM)
Edit Reason: add #

Searching For SunRay DX and Diamond Oil Signs

#351160 - Sun Aug 26 2012 09:31 AM Re: Texaco & Mobiloil Fake Trash On Ebay [Re: moore798]
GasCan Offline
Petro Enthusiast

Loc: Calgary, Alberta Canada
Pathetic isn't it? I don't think either of these pieces would trick the eye of any serious collector, but there sure to bite the novice who won't know what their looking at.

Collecting Canadian Products such as Red Head Oil, Red Indian Oil, Buffalo (Prairie City) Oil.

#351176 - Sun Aug 26 2012 10:45 AM Re: Texaco & Mobiloil Fake Trash On Ebay [Re: GasCan]
tbert1 Offline
Petro Enthusiast

Loc: IL
On this type of sign, what tips you off that it is a repop? Just wanting to know to educate myself.

Mike

#351179 - Sun Aug 26 2012 10:57 AM Re: Texaco & Mobiloil Fake Trash On Ebay [Re: tbert1]
GasCan Offline
Petro Enthusiast

Loc: Calgary, Alberta Canada
Lots of thing. The holes, their locations, the lack of grommets, the finish, the back of the sign etc.

Just look at this sign, and then go back and forth between them and look at all the differences, and you'll quickly learn.

390455296562 (good sign)

Collecting Canadian Products such as Red Head Oil, Red Indian Oil, Buffalo (Prairie City) Oil.

#351181 - Sun Aug 26 2012 11:03 AM Re: Texaco & Mobiloil Fake Trash On Ebay [Re: tbert1]
Dave's Garage Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Abbotsford, British Columbia, ...
As noted a few weeks ago in a different post this crook is now making 42" porcelain repops.

Here's his 2nd 42" sign.

Attachments
Dodge reproSel-Oil-10.jpg

#351197 - Sun Aug 26 2012 12:17 PM Re: Texaco & Mobiloil Fake Trash On Ebay [Re: Dave's Garage]
Tankar Online   content
Veteran Member

Loc: MN United States
also at 3 and 9 o-clock position on the originals that wide blue stripe is not there

#351232 - Sun Aug 26 2012 03:03 PM Re: Texaco & Mobiloil Fake Trash On Ebay [Re: Tankar]
bppierce Offline
Petro Enthusiast

Loc: Round Rock, Texas
Quote:
The holes, their locations, the lack of grommets, the finish, the back of the sign

Quote:
at 3 and 9 o-clock position on the originals that wide blue stripe is not there

Unfortunately this info helps the crook more than the victim.

Without fueling another thread on reproductions and their harm to our collecting community, we gotta all know the day will come when perfect reproductions will be made that'll be virtually indistinguishable from an original.

I think COA services for advertising collectables will be popping up real soon. I say within a decade it will be the norm to buy or sell signs or globes with one. Exactly as it is with sports memorabilia and autographs. Not saying that's good or bad, just my guess it will happen.

#351326 - Sun Aug 26 2012 08:49 PM Re: Texaco & Mobiloil Fake Trash On Ebay [Re: tbert1]
Dick Bennett Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Santa Paula, Calif
Originally Posted By: tbert1
On this type of sign, what tips you off that it is a repop? Just wanting to know to educate myself.

Mike

EVERYTHING stencilworks Sells is JUNK.
stencilworks =STNKY WORK

Hopefully the auction companies have learned to ID these FAKES & will not re-sell to future Collectors.

#351334 - Sun Aug 26 2012 09:11 PM Re: Texaco & Mobiloil Fake Trash On Ebay [Re: Dick Bennett]
Lost Highway Offline
Petro Enthusiast

Loc: Greenville SC
how much money they are stealing from people is sickning.. makes me glad i could live with only having pumps. signs are scary.

Click on magnifying glass icon on lower left to search eBay

Copyright © 2016 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved