Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
D
drdcon Offline OP
OP Offline
D
I love the passion!

Terry, thanks for the support. Jack, you hit the nail on the head... bringing something back to the condition that it was intended to be, is a fulfilling thing. My theory has always been that if it's original and operational, leave it alone. Celebrate it's scars! They each have a story. But if it's been modified, painted and messed with already, might as well bring it back to it's glory days.

Another thing that fascinates me: I've been told by a few gas pump collectors that it's best to gut the machine so that it's easier to transport. This seems to me to be the opposite of what a purist would want to do. Is this the general consensus here? I think that would be a shame. Since mine is complete, I am considering going through it and making it operational. Maybe put it on a small stand with a tank under it and a filler neck sticking up. I could demonstrate/display it by pumping water.... maybe with a hint of yellow food coloring to look like fuel. I just think it would be neat to see this operational, restored unit and the site glass filling with water, see the clock-dial spin and hear the DING of the bell after every gallon. Call me weird.... but THAT would be a more fulfilling scenario for me than a battered, non-original deteriorated pump.

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
F
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
F
A few thoughts:
1. Since you are new, you might think it through before starting on such a nice pump in great condition. Once its done, there is no going back.
2. You might rethink the water thing. These pumps were for petroleum that self lubricates and prevents rust. Yes, it will pump, but not for long without damage.
3. Clinton is yanking your chain! As 983Jeremy stated, he doesn't want anything not original.
4. IMO, the pump probably won't be worth much more to many people after you have restored it.
5. I have some over-restored pumps. Some restored, and many unrestored. I enjoy all of them for what they are, but the further I go, the more I appreciate the originals.
6. Its your pump. Do what you like!

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Imagine what the Ancient Egyptians would say about us wanting to Mummify these pumps w/ the Guts intact? LOL
They did save the Guts AFTER they removed from body!

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Dick LOL!! Where do you come up with these analogies!!

Drive with Care and Buy Sinclair!! I buy Sinclair globes, signs, cans, ect.
G
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
G
RESTORE IT. It is NOT original the way it is now. It has been customized. Bring it back to the way it was when it left the factory or its first paint job. Not a brush job by some kid or a cheap gas station owner. Make it look like the original designer intended and make him proud. By not restoring it , you leave a lot of history buried under the paint. A number of previously unknown decals of little known companies have been found during a restoration. Most of all, do what YOU want.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Originally Posted By: drdcon
Ron- Thanks for your informative post. I will heed your advise and pick up those books. I will try to make it to the show in Santa Rosa. Regarding sending pictures: I'm a bit spooked at this point. People might start throwing tomatoes and booing me!

I'm used to people giving me a bad time because I like to leave things original and they insist that they should be restored. It's weird being on the opposite end!

Nah, don't worry about posting pictures. If they throw tomatoes, make salsa. You're in California! Besides, once you show how nice the pump turns out, they'll show you some love.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
David,
Take into consideration that a lot of guys in Midwest, North, South & East of Calif don't find RUST FREE Complete pumps that are easy to restore w/o replacing most if not all the sheet metal & small parts!

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
My $.02 is that it would be a crying shame to strip and restore. I love it the way it is. If it were mine I would re-wire, put a globe, hose, etc. on it and enjoy. I have several pumps that I used to think I wanted to restore. I am so glad now that I did not make that mistake. Great pump! One of my favorites and hope to own one some day.
Mike

KJV Psalms 16:11

Thou wilt shew me the path of life:
in thy presence is fulness of joy;
at thy right hand there are pleasures for evermore.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: Ron Cabanayan
Besides, once you show how nice the pump turns out, they'll show you some love.

...well, we're not allowed to tell you if it looks horrible, either...

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved