Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
FRY 117 Offline OP
OP Offline
I have a FRY 117 pump with the original blue glass and my question is; Is there any way to repair a hairline crack in the glass? If not what is the best way to prevent a crack from spreading? I looked through the past topics/comments using the search feature but could not find anything on this subject. Thanks for any advice on this matter.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited by FRY 117; Tue Aug 28 2012 03:55 AM.
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Hello,
BB holes are one thing, but cracks are another.It appears that you(or someone else)has already loosened the top. Oftentimes cracks will become breaks once the pressure is released.
You may try to penetrate the crack with something like superglue or apply a two part epoxy resin to the inside.Another option would be to have the cylinder shortened. You might just consider leaving it alone?
Lets hear from some of our resident experts...
Glass can be an unnerving experience.
Been there,
Dave

Dave Jones
It's All Just Stuff
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Use the Google Search box at bottom of page [it's Blue on my screen]

FRY 117 Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks for the advice Dave. You are exactly right. This was my first visible pump and when I first got it about 18 months ago it had no damage to the glass. Well, me being a real restoration greenhorn at the time, I thought it would be a great idea to take it all apart and have it sandblasted. I started taking all of the rusty cylinder rods off and then the next day a 1 inch vertical crack appeared at the base. A few days later the crack had grown to about 8 inches long and took off horizontal to the right as you can see in the picture. I did put some super glue in the crack seam on the exterior but I have never been able to get the cylinder cap off. Therefore I have never been able to get on the inside of the glass to apply any glue to that. I will probably just leave the glass alone since it is the original piece and is not even noticable if you are on the opposite side of it. The crack has not grown at all in the last year so I can probably live with it if it stays this way. Thanks again!

FRY 117 Offline OP
OP Offline
I tried the search below but still found nothing relative to repairing, controlling or maintaining visible pump cracked glass. I am surprised that this has not been an active topic before. Hopefully this is not a "user error" issue on my part.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Just PLEASE do NOT mess with the metal rings on the ends of the cylinder. I have seen cylinders break all the way around when those rings come off.
Once you remove the conduit and cylinder rods...you can gently bump the top and it should come off. Since your cylinder is already cracked you are a disadvantage. I personally believe that your cylinder may crack all the way around once relieved of the pressure. I have also seen them crack from top to bottom(vertical).
Be careful whatever you decide to do and wear safety glasses.
Where are you in Alabama?
Dave

Dave Jones
It's All Just Stuff
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
BEFORE I would Bump Top of a cracked cylinder, I'd use a stiff putty knife around bottom.

FRY 117 Offline OP
OP Offline
Dave, I am in the Huntsville area. The pump is from around here too and had been on a farm for many years. It was also used by the the local black student school bus system up until desegration in the late 60's so it has some pretty cool history behind it. I am with you on being careful the cylinder and had to learn that the hard way I guess. When I tried getting the conduit apart about a year ago it was basically impossible. Those things were so frozen up and I just gave up after the glass crack appeared. I have done everything I am going to do to it at this point and have supplied a picture of it in its present state. Hopefully the crack will not increase but I guess only time will tell. Thanks, Tony

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Absolutely...I meant to bump the top of the pump...not the glass. I think that I would not mess with it. The best laid plans of mice and men... LOL
Dave

Dave Jones
It's All Just Stuff
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Good deal. Pump looks good.
Dave

Dave Jones
It's All Just Stuff
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
He who never has made a mistake is one who never does Anything.
IF you have never Broke a Cylinder, you Don't have enough Visible Pumps!
I've broke 3!

Last edited by Dick Bennett; Wed Aug 29 2012 06:47 PM.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I broke one twice...and I don't like the sound of that "tink"...NO LOL Dave

Dave Jones
It's All Just Stuff
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
broke one twice.. only counts as 1 ! LOL

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Awright then...HOW many others out then will "fess up" to breaking a cylinder...or something else on a pump ?
Dave

Dave Jones
It's All Just Stuff
FRY 117 Offline OP
OP Offline
I agree and feel your pain. My next project is on a G&B 176 with blue glass and no cracks (yet). We will see how this one goes but I can assure you that I will not be messing around with the cylinder rods or removing the top. I am just going to cover the glass with painter's tape and plastic and then apply some paint stripper. Afterward I will sand all of the cylinder area carefully by hand. The skins have already been removed and I will have those sand blasted. Hopefully this will be the right approach.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved