Print Thread
#35217 Thu Apr 05 2001 06:37 PM
M
Morgan Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
M
What do you guys use to remove the litharge and glycerine mixture used to seal the glass cylinders to the pump? I have tried all sorts of chemicals including paint stripper but found nothing that cut it. I always resort to scraping with a broken hacksaw blade or painters tool. Anyone have a quicker way?

[This message has been edited by Morgan (edited 04-05-2001).]

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#35218 Fri Apr 06 2001 09:21 PM
C
C
I just went through this yesterday. I found nothing to dissolve the stuff either. However, as I was scraping I began searching for a better tool. I found a tool in my toolbox by Craftsman, its a Cotter pin remover. Has a handle like most Craftsman screwdrivers and then is like a havy duty ice pick with a 90 degree bend about an inch from the tip which was great for digging out the gasket material. It made fast work of the job. Good luck

#35219 Sat Apr 07 2001 05:33 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I would not recommend taking out a cylinder that is thoroughly sealed. If there's just a little left go ahead and scratch it away. Glass gets more brittle with age. By removing the litharge you increase the probability of the cylinder developing a nice round crack where the pressure was removed. I can not begin to tell you the number of people who have told me that their cylinder cracked hours/days later in that spot. Once you get the top plate off, you can remove the markers; clean the glass; wrap the cylinder with cardboard and blast what's left. This method does NOT allow you to do a good job finishing off the filler and overflow pipes, but may save you $500. Ron

[This message has been edited by Ron Scobie (edited 04-07-2001).]

Ron Scobie
http://www.gaspump.com or
rscobie(TheAtSymbol)gaspump.com
Phone - Six five one-653-6503

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved